Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You do realize that prosecutors in our CJ system use discretion when filing/not filing charges. Surely a teacher should be able to enforce/not enforce classroom rules at their discretion.
I don't know the teacher, but I remember having a teacher or two that were really hard core about only talking when acknowledged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Where is the country we grew up in?
It never existed. Time has a way of washing away the unpleasant realities of the past in our minds.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (FOX13) - Dyer County High Schoolsenior Kendra Turner said she was kicked out of class for saying "bless you" and suspended for for responding to a classmate's sneeze.

"It was a simple sneeze," she said.

Student Says She Was Suspended For Saying 'Bless You' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Oh please, my atheist husband says...bless you when someone sneezes.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (FOX13) - Dyer County High Schoolsenior Kendra Turner said she was kicked out of class for saying "bless you" and suspended for for responding to a classmate's sneeze.

"It was a simple sneeze," she said.

Student Says She Was Suspended For Saying 'Bless You' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

the teacher said it was not her parents classroom, but her classroom. if you look at it, the parents are paying the property taxes needed to pay that womans salary, and it is as much their classroom as it is the teachers.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
First, this is silly.
Second, why was the "Blackboard of Banned Words" not an issue before this incident?
Third,

Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
First, this is silly.
Second, why was the "Blackboard of Banned Words" not an issue before this incident?
Third,
LMAO!! Give me time, I'll come up with 4,5,and 6 in a few.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please, my atheist husband says...bless you when someone sneezes.
Why would your atheist husband say, God Bless You when someone sneezes? Is it a joke? Or do people not realize "bless you" it's short for God Bless You.
My atheist husband says "gesundheit" which means "health" in German seeing it usually is a sign of illness coming on.
The Romans use to say "Jupiter preserves you" lol I wonder if that would get detention.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
First of all, I don't say "bless you" because I've been told that it was started to prevent evil spirits from entering your mouth when you were unguarded during the sneeze. This was way pre-Christianity.

Second, I said it when young because otherwise I got slapped up side the head and told I was being rude.

Between this and calling the police about shooting a dinasaur, does anybody actually learn anything in school anymore?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Talking breaks a no talking rule. I don't know what the children were doing at the time but I remember teachers using that rule during tests. Upset about what she said is using emotion over fact.
You're stretching...just like the idiotic school & teacher.

If a kid had to get to the potty?

Would the no talking rule apply?

Just hand gestures?

Raise hand and point to crotch or rear-end?

Saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is not a big deal unless some uptight moron wants to make it a big deal.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You're stretching...just like the idiotic school & teacher.

If a kid had to get to the potty?

Would the no talking rule apply?

Just hand gestures?

Raise hand and point to crotch or rear-end?

Saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is not a big deal unless some uptight moron wants to make it a big deal.
Well, when she goes off to work one day and isn't allowed to do or say something she feels like because her boss doesn't want it said at work she can thank her teacher for teaching her the respect authority rule.

The teacher has to gain control of the group somehow, she is one, they are a group. Without rules what should she do with a high school group who would gladly take advantage of "bless you" as they all start fake sneezing and saying bless you, no bless you, uttumm, bless you.
There are several trolls in every high school class.
I don't see why she would include it otherwise. Plus, I don't remember seeing "I have to potty" on the list. Or am I mistaken? Is the girl so troubled by not being able to bless her classmates that the teacher needs to allow that word?

Obviously she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies