Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:26 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
she died because she had a gas can IN HER CAR. It was not the job that killed her, it was her choice to put a gas can inside the car.
Why would HuffPo try to spin it as her being worked to death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If it bleeds it leads.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Oh ok.

Still a weird scenario. Why not just get 2 20-hour a week jobs?

Jobs of this type generally come with variable shifts and thus without guarantees of a certain number of hours; if there is a longer-than-expected slack time, employees will be sent home early so you might need a third job to be sure of getting 40 paid hours every week.

(e.g. after-work rush slacks off early into evening doldrums, workers WILL go home early)

Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post

Typical Liberals and Progressives and Low Information Voters, and no sense of personal responsibility, and blame society and blame whitey and blame corporations for everything.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
she died because she had a gas can IN HER CAR. It was not the job that killed her, it was her choice to put a gas can inside the car.

Well...that was certainly a problem and an issue...but why was she worried about running out of gas? Presumably because she couldn't afford to keep her tank full and was probably pumping a few dollars worth here and there when she could afford it. (I've done that for lack of funds but never kept a gas can inside the passenger compartment.)

Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well...that was certainly a problem and an issue...but why was she worried about running out of gas? Presumably because she couldn't afford to keep her tank full and was probably pumping a few dollars worth here and there when she could afford it. (I've done that for lack of funds but never kept a gas can inside the passenger compartment.)
Well, you still have to think safety. I know that it is warned against carrying gas cans around filled with gas. Too flammable.

You always have to think safety. Because you can work all those jobs, but if you die, then what good did that do?

If you cannot afford to fill your tank, then either buy a smaller car, or budget enough to get a full tank of gas. Or maybe dont have 10 jobs that you have to travel so many miles to.. Maybe even get an apartment close to public transportation, or the bus, or walking distance so that you dont have a car that you cannont even afford to put gas in. Move to another city if you have to.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Typical Liberals and Progressives and Low Information Voters, and no sense of personal responsibility, and blame society and blame whitey and blame corporations for everything.

??? It speaks to all the low-wage workers who regularly have to deal with issues like this, e.g. those like me who never fill a tank to the top but instead are always buying a few dollars here and there and hoping we don't run out of gas.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:37 PM

Everyone can budget something. People holler 'I'm poor" but they have cell phones, cable, partying, etc. Get rid of those luxuries and then you will have money to buy gas. She also might have been able to eat at work, not sure what their policy is. There is always a way to have more money if you are smart and give up the luxuries first.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? It speaks to all the low-wage workers who regularly have to deal with issues like this, e.g. those like me who never fill a tank to the top but instead are always buying a few dollars here and there and hoping we don't run out of gas.
Eventually though it all comes out the same. See if you can do this math problem -

Go to the gas station once, fill it up 100% for $30. Or, go to the gas station twice and fill it up 50% for $15.

Which of the above situations is going to save you money?

I will give my answer below.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you still have to think safety. I know that it is warned against carrying gas cans around filled with gas. Too flammable.

You always have to think safety. Because you can work all those jobs, but if you die, then what good did that do?

If you cannot afford to fill your tank, then either buy a smaller car, or budget enough to get a full tank of gas. Or maybe dont have 10 jobs that you have to travel so many miles to.. Maybe even get an apartment close to public transportation, or the bus, or walking distance so that you dont have a car that you cannont even afford to put gas in. Move to another city if you have to.

Grrr. Once upon a time I drove a CHEAP big old clunker while delivering pizzas. That is, the big boat was cheap to buy but not to gas. But buying a less-gassy but more expensive smaller car was not an option available to me at that time.

What I'm seeing in this thread is middle class people out of touch with the constraints and issues poor people live (and sometimes die) with every day.

An apartment close to public transportation = location in demand = landlords price accordingly.

When you're poor, there is always someone ready to take your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies