Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
So here we have a women working 4 jobs motivated to better herself living on 3 hours of sleep a day and dies.

All so that Corporate Lobbyists, Investors and Banks can continue to reap the world from their Foreign and Domestic Economic policies they wrote up to pass on to their puppets in DC.
If the borders were closed, there wouldn't be so much competition for low-wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Goinback2011 - Oh get ready - it will get worse. Already people who MIGHT have gotten a job - those jobs will now go to the illegal invaders and others. Even in the city of Chicago, our idiot mayor is saying that internships and jobs are going to the DREAMers (illegals). Imagine that..

Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Eventually though it all comes out the same. See if you can do this math problem -

Go to the gas station once, fill it up 100% for $30. Or, go to the gas station twice and fill it up 50% for $15.

Which of the above situations is going to save you money?

I will give my answer below.

Ah, apparently you are neglecting the time value of money, which is for many poor people a very powerful constraint.

Filling my tank today for $30 is the wrong move (putting only $15 in my tank today allows me to pay the rent on time tomorrow; I can get more gas next Friday when I get paid) but paying the rent late in order to keep my gas tank full is not a good move.

In a typical month, I have three or four points in time where the time value of money imposes a financial constraint on me that I can resolve only by delaying a purchase (as above) or borrowing money.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Jobs of this type generally come with variable shifts and thus without guarantees of a certain number of hours; if there is a longer-than-expected slack time, employees will be sent home early so you might need a third job to be sure of getting 40 paid hours every week.

(e.g. after-work rush slacks off early into evening doldrums, workers WILL go home early)
I'm familiar with how these jobs work.

Usually, if you're a decent enough employee you can secure 20 hours a week and semi-lock in a schedule.

I don't mean to harp but this was just a weird situation. Working at 4 different Dunkin Donuts (without any knowing about the other 3) for 10-40 hours a week is a bit odd. Especially when you factor in no kids to support.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Everyone can budget something. People holler 'I'm poor" but they have cell phones, cable, partying, etc. Get rid of those luxuries and then you will have money to buy gas. She also might have been able to eat at work, not sure what their policy is. There is always a way to have more money if you are smart and give up the luxuries first.

??? I have a pre-paid cell phone that cost me $20 new plus about $10 per month, is that extravagant?

Actually I live on a poverty level income and have not owned a car in 10 years.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Freemkt - The answer to my question is - both scenarios cost THE SAME. Except the one where you go to the gas station more times will cost you the price of the gas you used to go 10 times like this woman did who died.

Why can you not afford a full tank of gas? Is there anything else in your life that you can sacrifice to afford a full tank? Can you cut cable, cell phone, (unless you get a low cost one for $15 a month - its a flip phone, it is not hip but it works well for what you want.

Can you cook more food rather than go out to eat? Honestly, is there ONE thing you can name that you could do without which is not a necessity of life? and i do not believe some luxuries ARE necessities, but people think they need them.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm familiar with how these jobs work.

Usually, if you're a decent enough employee you can secure 20 hours a week and semi-lock in a schedule.

I don't mean to harp but this was just a weird situation. Working at 4 different Dunkin Donuts (without any knowing about the other 3) for 10-40 hours a week is a bit odd. Especially when you factor in no kids to support.

Might have had student loans to repay.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I have a pre-paid cell phone that cost me $20 new plus about $10 per month, is that extravagant?

Actually I live on a poverty level income and have not owned a car in 10 years.
That is a good thing to have - your cell phone plan.

I was talking about many cell phones that cost $300 or $500 and people think they MUST have texting, lots of minutes etc that can cost $75 or more per month.

Your cell phone is reasonable.

You are saving LOADS of money not having a car.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:04 PM

The person above who says she can only afford $30 at a time for gas to afford rent.

If your car needs $60 each time to fill it up, that is only $30. So are you saying you make that little bit of money that you cannot afford an extra $30 for gas? Why dont you have a job that pays you an additional few more dollars net on your paycheck? Its only $30. Even if you made $1.00 more an hour, that would probably cover it.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Freemkt - The answer to my question is - both scenarios cost THE SAME. Except the one where you go to the gas station more times will cost you the price of the gas you used to go 10 times like this woman did who died.

Why can you not afford a full tank of gas? Is there anything else in your life that you can sacrifice to afford a full tank? Can you cut cable, cell phone, (unless you get a low cost one for $15 a month - its a flip phone, it is not hip but it works well for what you want.

Can you cook more food rather than go out to eat? Honestly, is there ONE thing you can name that you could do without which is not a necessity of life? and i do not believe some luxuries ARE necessities, but people think they need them.

I don't have cable but I have internet but since some of my income comes from using the internet (CL and selling online) I can't really get rid of it.

The real budget killer for me right now is the $200 I'm paying to rent a storage unit for the stuff I'm selling online, I'm renting a room from a volatile drunk who doesn't want all my 'junk' in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies