Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
What this question seems to miss is the fact that the perception of white privilege is not really skin color but a number of other factors. First it is primarily financial. Your folks have more money, they can afford a better house, live in a safer neighborhood, and go to better schools with other people that are also hard working and serious about getting a good education and a good job.

Second, because of this, you interact with a better class of people. We can't ignore that we are not a classless society. But its not based on race, its based on $$$$$. Because you know a better class of people who have more money, knowing those people opens up better opportunities than if you neighbors and friends are on food stamps.

Third. White children are more likely to be raised in a two parent household. Studies have shown that children raised by two parents do much better in school and are much less likely to live in poverty or get involved with the criminal justice system. So I wish people would open their eyes and quit screaming racism, when the problems of poverty, crime,drugs etc. go much deeper than the color of someones skin.
Kinda like Black people who came here "free"? Word is the MOST successful "race" in the US are those Black dudes and ladies from Nigeria, Kenya and so on along with their kids. Our POTUS is on of them.

That cuts out "racism" as the MAIN reason Black people as a group don't do near as well as anglo whites, "Hispanics" who ain't illegal aliens or Asians as a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
A couple of flaws in Stewarts argument. He points out that it's harder to succeed if you come from the ghetto. I agree, but that has more to do with upbringing and economics. A poor white person from a broken home who grew up in a trailer park raised by drunks is actually at a disadvantage compared to the black who grew up in the ghetto from the same familial circumstances. Systematically because of affirmative action and programs that are for geared towards helping minorities, and culturally because blacks are more accepting and helping of other blacks based upon skin color alone. The poor white is all on his own.

He also points out whites have no trouble fitting into a neighborhood and being successful, which also is supposed to be a privilege. He should try living in a neighborhood that is predominantly black, or predominantly Hispanic. He would definitely have trouble fitting in and people wouldn't trust him, just as a black moving to a predominantly white neighborhood.

Why do some whites have to be guilty about this and put blacks in the victim category? Have we just run out of legitimate causes?

I don't agree with your analogy completely. I agree affirmative action has in the past has bested a white person's opportunity who was equally qualified, but I'm afraid it goes deeper than that. A black person trying to make something of themselves today usually has to be exceptional in more ways than test scores. He/she can't be too black, look too negro, or have any of that distinctly black dialect. If they do, they will most likely be passed over for a white person.

They are not treated equally, as they are generally feared as being more violent, watched closer in stores, and in general less trusted. Some of this of course has bases as we have more blacks in prison committing violent crimes than whites. But whites are much better at white color crimes. However, for every violent black guy, I am sure there are hundreds of great fathers and family men out there who would make very good neighbors. Even for people who claim not to be prejudiced and try very hard not to, there still is that element of prejudice within us all, no matter if we care to admit it or not. We don't want it there, but it's still there. This cuts both ways as well. Blacks I believe feel a natural resentment towards whites, and don't as a rule consider us "their brother", as we have not walked in their shoes.

Yes,thankfully we have come a long way, but we are not there yet. Until we can look a black person in the eye and not see color, we will still be guilty of prejudice to some extent, even the best of us.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Here's what it amounts to. If you're white, you can feel the full extent of our "privileges" if you walk through one of the many majority black communities in this country, such an the inner city, especially at night. Or you can feel "privileged" to be denied a job or college admission while minorities are given those instead. Some "privilege." What point am I getting at? In a non-white world, where whites are a global minority, it makes no sense to call white people privileged on a global scale. The only *possible* way such "privilege" (a misnomer, BTW) could exist is as a social consequence of being a racial minority. But guess what -- every ethnic group is "privileged" where they are the majority. In EVERY case. Black Americans enjoy black privilege in areas where they are the majority. There are many no-go areas for whites for crying out loud!

And do we talk about Japanese privilege in Japan? Or black African privilege in Africa? Are white South Africans "privileged"? Some still think so and perpetrate legalized discrimination against them. Even whites in Europe face legal discrimination (aka, affirmative action). So if you don't want to feel underprivileged because you're a minority in a white society, you know what you can do? You can live with your own people instead. Instead, white people face mandatory legal discrimination and are denied the right to advocate for their interests and the right to wish to survive as a people. You do not have the moral right to displace an ethnic majority just because you feel out of place in their society. I wouldn't complain about Japanese privilege if I moved to Japan, for example. I'd respect their majority status in their own country and right to survive as a people. Why are white people denied this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Stewart should talk. His ethnic group is more "privileged" than any other on the planet.

Stewart's vitriol is directed, make no mistake about it, DIRECTLY at WASPs, of which he isn't one.

And SMFH at all the lemmings in the crowd cheering/laughing on their own demise. Make me sick, they do!
+1. Makes me sick too.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pretty poor response.

Please explain to me why the color of someones skin is so important.
You tell me. I wish I forget race. Unfortunately, society doesn't let black men forget they are black.

Quote:
Tell me if someone who is raised by a family with a high wealth will probably have life more easy than someone who is raised by a family with lower wealth.
As I said before, you are confusing economic privilege with white privilege.

Quote:
Or you could just continue taking your typical rounte and just call people ignorant who don't agree with you.
It's not a matter of agreement or not. White privilege is a fact.

Quote:
What this question seems to miss is the fact that the perception of white privilege is not really skin color but a number of other factors. First it is primarily financial. Your folks have more money, they can afford a better house, live in a safer neighborhood, and go to better schools with other people that are also hard working and serious about getting a good education and a good job.
They are separate. White people generally have social privilege and economic privilege. Poor white people do not have economic privilege, but they still have white privilege.

Quote:
Second, because of this, you interact with a better class of people. We can't ignore that we are not a classless society. But its not based on race, its based on $$$$$. Because you know a better class of people who have more money, knowing those people opens up better opportunities than if you neighbors and friends are on food stamps.
It is based on class and race. Class and race are often used synonymously because they are closely correlated historically. They are not synonymous nor are they mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Third. White children are more likely to be raised in a two parent household. Studies have shown that children raised by two parents do much better in school and are much less likely to live in poverty or get involved with the criminal justice system. So I wish people would open their eyes and quit screaming racism, when the problems of poverty, crime,drugs etc. go much deeper than the color of someones skin.
People roll their eyes at this because the "two parent household" argument is a strawman argument. No one is disputing the family unit. It is just thrown out there from left field.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Here's what it amounts to. If you're white, you can feel the full extent of our "privileges" if you walk through one of the many majority black communities in this country, such an the inner city, especially at night.
This is actually a beautiful example.

Most white people have the privilege to not walk through black neighborhoods. Blacks don't have that same privilege.

Quote:
Or you can feel "privileged" to be denied a job or college admission while minorities are given those instead. Some "privilege."
Oh boo hoo... people are picking on whitey because there is no preferential treatment.

How does it feel to have your resume overlooked because of your name? Wait....

Quote:
What point am I getting at? In a non-white world, where whites are a global minority, it makes no sense to call white people privileged on a global scale. The only *possible* way such "privilege" (a misnomer, BTW) could exist is as a social consequence of being a racial minority. But guess what -- every ethnic group is "privileged" where they are the majority.
This conversation is not about a global scale. It is about America.

Quote:
In EVERY case. Black Americans enjoy black privilege in areas where they are the majority. There are many no-go areas for whites for crying out loud!
Enlighten us to these "no-go" areas for whites.

Quote:
And do we talk about Japanese privilege in Japan? Or black African privilege in Africa? Are white South Africans "privileged"? Some still think so and perpetrate legalized discrimination against them. Even whites in Europe face legal discrimination (aka, affirmative action).
Deflection is strong here...

Quote:
So if you don't want to feel underprivileged because you're a minority in a white society, you know what you can do? You can live with your own people instead. Instead, white people face mandatory legal discrimination and are denied the right to advocate for their interests and the right to wish to survive as a people. You do not have the moral right to displace an ethnic majority just because you feel out of place in their society.
Here's the thing:

Did you not read history? I was born in America. I've been here for at least seven generations. Black people in America were brought here against their will. I can't just "go back to Africa" to be with "my people (wtf does that mean anyway?)."

You do not have the moral right to tell me to get the hell out of America because a handful of ignorant white people don't like black people. "It makes me sick."

Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
What I am getting out of this is being black should be treated like a disability.

If I were black that would offend me.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What I am getting out of this is being black should be treated like a disability.

If I were black that would offend me.
I'm just curious where you would get that idea...?

Black people just want the system to be more fair.

Stop using the police to harass black men.
Stop shooting black teenagers.
Stop excluding blacks from employment.
Stop firing blacks quicker than whites.
Stop sentencing blacks harsher than whites for the same crimes.
Stop arresting blacks for pretty drug crimes.
Stop gutting predominantely black schools.
Stop making predatory loans to blacks.
Stop avoiding black neighborhoods for investment and redevelopment.
Stop perpetuating negative black stereotypes in the media.
Stop blaming blacks for failed government policies.

Then, if you can get through that, stop telling blacks they are inferior every 5 seconds.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'm just curious where you would get that idea...?

Black people just want the system to be more fair.

Stop using the police to harass black men.
Stop shooting black teenagers.
Stop excluding blacks from employment.
Stop firing blacks quicker than whites.
Stop sentencing blacks harsher than whites for the same crimes.
Stop arresting blacks for pretty drug crimes.
Stop gutting predominantely black schools.
Stop making predatory loans to blacks.
Stop avoiding black neighborhoods for investment and redevelopment.
Stop perpetuating negative black stereotypes in the media.
Stop blaming blacks for failed government policies.

Then, if you can get through that, stop telling blacks they are inferior every 5 seconds.
So... you want special treatment?

Old 10-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So... you want special treatment?
No, that's equal treatment.

It isn't special treatment to demand blacks be treated with the same dignity as everyone else.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What you could have done with the time it took you to post that smart aleck remark was do a 10 second google search on Bill O'Reilly's charitable contributions. Every cent from every book and from his website goes to charity, with a primary focus on veterans and underprivileged children. Since blacks are overrepresented compared to whites in both categories, yes he donates millions of dollars to help the black community. Next dumb question?

Bill O'Reilly: Bill's Charities
Looks like Bill O'Reilly likes to brag about where he donates and wants everyone to know. Not everyone is as misogynistic as O'Reilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies