Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yet another retailer proves that you can pay well, offer good benefits, and still be profitable.
Good for them. I don't care what they pay their employees. If it works for them, fine. It's their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know how many of you have shopped at a QT store given your locations, but i use them exclusively when there's one in the area.

Very nice, very clean, and the variety of snacks and drinks...along with some fruits and other miscellaneous items is actually kinda dizzying given the size of their stores. Some even have a grill in back, and the stuff they serve isn't half bad.

I've noticed that it seems a tad pricier than other similar chains, but i'm more than willing to pay a few cents more for the cleanliness and variety of merchandise stocked...especially the soft drinks. And the staff is extremely professional.

I started frequenting these stores after i read a 2011 piece on how well they pay and treat their employees. But i noticed that the piece seemed to have at least a small degree of skepticism relative to how long such a business model could last.

Well here we are in 2014, and the company is doing just as well if not better. Here's an excerpt from the piece:

Wow...imagine that. Sounds SO COMPLICATED, right? Have a clean and courteous business with good products and a well trained staff... Treat employees well, pay them a good wage with the promise of more opportunities ahead, and they'll be loyal, won't turnover very often, thereby saving you money and making you profitable.

Yeah i know..."these people are unskilled and should realize that these are entry level jobs and these profits should be returned to stockholders blah, blah, blah"....i can hear it now from the typical corporate shills on CD. But whatever.

Anyway...here's the link:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/03/...ype=blogs&_r=0
I've heard good things about QT too and their prices ain't any higher than anyplace else IMHO.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are pretty much insisting other companies do that, thats the premace of the thread..
I insisted no such thing.

Again for the millionth time Einstein, read post 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They pay a manager well per the story you linked to..

So does McDonalds..
What is this, Captain Obvious hour at the bar?

We know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good for them. I don't care what they pay their employees. If it works for them, fine. It's their choice.
(Blank stare)

Yeah dude. Uhhhh...ok.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
Somebody will use cut-throat tactics and put this company out of business. Republicans and Southerners will blame the workers for being "greedy" and for making "too much."

Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
They can be a lot more selective on the people they hire as well! Walmart hires people who would otherwise be totally unemployable and living 100% off of government subsidies if not homeless. I would rather have someone attempting to work while on government bennies rather than sitting around at home.

Like any other place, QT does not start out ENTRY level employees at a high wage. You work your way up. You can do this at Walmart or countless other stores.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Costco does this as well. Ford have his employees ownership interest in his company. Too bad more people would rather buy the absolute cheapest thing they can find.
Oh, gag me regarding Costco. If I ever need a PR firm I'm hiring theirs. They have people believing their upper management walks on water. They have a completely different business model and customer base than the discount stores, which they really are not.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
They can be a lot more selective on the people they hire as well! Walmart hires people who would otherwise be totally unemployable and living 100% off of government subsidies if not homeless. I would rather have someone attempting to work while on government bennies rather than sitting around at home.

Like any other place, QT does not start out ENTRY level employees at a high wage. You work your way up. You can do this at Walmart or countless other stores.
Nonsense. No truth in that.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 AM

109 posts, read 91,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Somebody will use cut-throat tactics and put this company out of business. Republicans and Southerners will blame the workers for being "greedy" and for making "too much."

don't think so, they headquarter in Oklahoma which is very Republican, have been in business for YEARS>

We just kinda let businesses do what they want here. If they want to pay more to keep good employees more power to them.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh your are so cool.....

Not really.....but if it makes you feel better...then yea! You are...
Holy dog ****. Grow up!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:40 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Value to the Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
My issue has always been that if you are going to raise the wages on these low-wage workers, than you need to push everyone else up that same amount! There is a reason the guy at McDonald's makes what he does, and I make what I do! I have a very rare skill set and a clearance! I am not kidding when I say at least half the time, if I order a burger with "no pickle", you can bet I get pickle! Simple job, and they cannot even perform it at a moderate level of success! They get 15 or 20 bucks an hour? Push my pay up by the same amount. But they DO NOT deserve to close the gap for the LOW level of talent that they bring to the work force!
I have posted this before on this subject on other threads. If you are going to pay some a wage and it is above the industry standard. Any company will have to look what kind of value is expected from this employee to earn ,let's 15.00per hour.

Many forget businesses are not charities. They are there to turn a profit to pay for all of the Operational cost and wages and hopefully a return to the investors. That the bottom line.

Let face it, most of has gone into a McDonalds expecting helpful service and get the opposite. Poor customer service and cold food. Not Good!
Just because a employee has been with you does not mean a manager salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies