Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I doubt a store clerk is making 40k. Stop the nonsense. Your link mentions NOTHING of anyone other than the one store manager.
Go to your search engine and type in "The Economic Case for Paying Your Cashiers $40K a Year."

It's a piece from Citylab.com.

Read it and weep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Then why did you say that in response to that post?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, go ahead....let's here it...moer BS I'm sure...

BTW...I was born in a suburb of detroit.....
That's nice. I was born in a suburb too.

(Blank stare)

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
often the implication is what works for one employer (QT or Whole Foods or Costco) would automatically work for all retailers serving all niches.

So . .I would only say that what works for QT may not work for Wal-Mart. . but it works for QT. So that is good for them, and i'm sure they get better workers than Wal-mart
Well now even Wal Mart is feeling the effects of stagnating wages for Americans for decades. You know it's bad when people can't even afford to shop at Wal Mart.

"Wal-Mart is a barometer of consumer spending and its challenges reflect the continued struggles of its low-income shoppers who still feel squeezed by stagnant wages and reduced government food stamp benefits. It's also being tripped up by its own merchandising mistakes. As a result, Wal-Mart's namesake business, which accounts for 60 percent of its total business, hasn't reported growth in a key sales measure in six straight quarters."

Wal-Mart lowers earnings forecast - Joplin Globe: News

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know how many of you have shopped at a QT store given your locations, but i use them exclusively when there's one in the area.

Very nice, very clean, and the variety of snacks and drinks...along with some fruits and other miscellaneous items is actually kinda dizzying given the size of their stores. Some even have a grill in back, and the stuff they serve isn't half bad.

I've noticed that it seems a tad pricier than other similar chains, but i'm more than willing to pay a few cents more for the cleanliness and variety of merchandise stocked...especially the soft drinks. And the staff is extremely professional.

I started frequenting these stores after i read a 2011 piece on how well they pay and treat their employees. But i noticed that the piece seemed to have at least a small degree of skepticism relative to how long such a business model could last.

Well here we are in 2014, and the company is doing just as well if not better. Here's an excerpt from the piece:

Wow...imagine that. Sounds SO COMPLICATED, right? Have a clean and courteous business with good products and a well trained staff... Treat employees well, pay them a good wage with the promise of more opportunities ahead, and they'll be loyal, won't turnover very often, thereby saving you money and making you profitable.

Yeah i know..."these people are unskilled and should realize that these are entry level jobs and these profits should be returned to stockholders blah, blah, blah"....i can hear it now from the typical corporate shills on CD. But whatever.

Anyway...here's the link:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/03/...ype=blogs&_r=0

Actually what this person is pointing out is simple.. A BUSINESS DECIDED FOR THEMSELVES IN THEIR MARKET AND THEIR BUSINESS HOW TO PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES. THE GOVERNMENT DID NOT FORCE IT, OR TELL THIS FREE MARKET WHAT IT COULD AFFORD WELCOME TO AMERICA FOOL!!! IT DID NOT TELL EVERY EMPLOYEE THIS A LIVING WAGE IT JUST SAID HERE ARE OUR WAGES!!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
often the implication is what works for one employer (QT or Whole Foods or Costco) would automatically work for all retailers serving all niches.

So . .I would only say that what works for QT may not work for Wal-Mart. . but it works for QT. So that is good for them, and i'm sure they get better workers than Wal-mart
Read post three of the thread.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Actually what this person is pointing out is simple.. A BUSINESS DECIDED FOR THEMSELVES IN THEIR MARKET AND THEIR BUSINESS HOW TO PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES. THE GOVERNMENT DID NOT FORCE IT, OR TELL THIS FREE MARKET WHAT IT COULD AFFORD WELCOME TO AMERICA FOOL!!! IT DID NOT TELL EVERY EMPLOYEE THIS A LIVING WAGE IT JUST SAID HERE ARE OUR WAGES!!
Right....AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH and more AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH to you too.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:34 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quiktrip in Kansas City will start a 16 yr old out at $8.25 per hr.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No way in this universe is regular store clerk making 40k a year without a whole lot of overtime.

Even in wonderful quiktrip land.
Oh...so now there's no way WITHOUT overtime, huh?

That was quick.

I gave you the headline...I can't do more than that. Look it up.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:36 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:

(Blank stare)

Blank stare? Nothing new for you!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:

(Blank stare)
Quote:
Right....AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH and more AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH to you too.
What happens when you do not have the ability to answer anything in a thread you started....see above....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies