Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye put out.
Lets prevent that by common sense regulation in favor of helmets with face shields for all when you leave the house. Body armor optional but recommended. One step at a time please, so those who can't put one foot in front of the other, without a class, can keep up.

Think of the lives we can save.

Encasing your little cherub in bubble wrap is also prudent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Let's put all the facts out there. The reason the school reacted was because the student titled the photo "Homecoming" and posted it just hours after the school shooting in Washington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
meaningless justification.
Quote:
What happens when the school ignores the concerns and complaints it received and the school then gets shot up?
It is justification to notify law enforcement. It is justification for law enforcement to interview the students, search their lockers, and search their homes if need be. It is justification to notify the parents.

It is not justification to suspend or expel them.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Suspend the school administrators without pay for 10 days and look into dismissing them. A written and public apology should be made to the students and parents involved.
What they did was a little questionable but a simple face to face meeting should have cleared everything up with no need( or grounds) for any kind of punishment.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is justification to notify law enforcement. It is justification for law enforcement to interview the students, search their lockers, and search their homes if need be. It is justification to notify the parents.

You lost me at search their homes. That's outrageous (and unconstitutional unless they could get a warrant). Lockers are school property so those are fair game. If LE tried to interview me or my kids for doing something completely legal it would be a really short interview. Am I being detained or am I free to go would be the extent of it.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Agreed but a warrant would be needed to search the kids' homes.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You lost me at search their homes. That's outrageous (and unconstitutional unless they could get a warrant). Lockers are school property so those are fair game. If LE tried to interview me or my kids for doing something completely legal it would be a really short interview. Am I being detained or am I free to go would be the extent of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed but a warrant would be needed to search the kids' homes.
Absolutely they would need a warrant to search the home, unless they had the parents' permission. Whether to seek that or not should be the call of law enforcement, not the school, that's why I said if need be.

That picture with the comment "homecoming" may be deemed by a judge as enough of a credible threat to justify a warrant, especially if after interviewing the kids there is concern.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-30-2014 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
The school has no business telling kids what they can and can't do on their own time.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The school has no business telling kids what they can and can't do on their own time.

Remember what Killary said..... It takes a village!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
What if the photo of shooting guns was posted to the internet just after a major school shooting and was titled "Prom"?

I'm not saying that punishment here was justified, but to ignore the circumstances and just start screaming about *******s and liberalism being a mental disorder is a nutty reaction. There was a legitimate concern expressed by students and parents, and it's something the school certainly had to address.

Even if we give the school and your opinion the benifit of the doubt.

Since when does "having a legitimate concern" equate to justification for suspension and or expulsion?

Zero tolerance = Zero common sense.
And these policies have gotten way out of hand when students can be expelled for doing something completely legal , on their own time and off of school peoperty.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
This really comes down to one thing - people who hate guns.

You have a group of people who hate anything "gun" related. They don't want to see or hear about guns; therefore, they will try to punish, to the extreme, anyone that has any connections to guns. It's almost a religion to them, and they are devoted to the elimination of guns no matter the cost or methods.

They will twist around everything in their heads' until they feel they have rationalized any and every overreaction.

They are like the crazy radicals who freak out about anything related to pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies