Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
[/b]
Even if we give the school and your opinion the benifit of the doubt.

Since when does "having a legitimate concern" equate to justification for suspension and or expulsion?

Zero tolerance = Zero common sense.
And these policies have gotten way out of hand when students can be expelled for doing something completely legal , on their own time and off of school peoperty.
There wasn't justification for suspension, let alone potential expulsion. There was justification, and an obligation, for notification of law enforcement and keeping the students in the office until they arrived. The school also had an obligation to provide law enforcement an area for interviewing the students and authorizing a locker search. Anything beyond those things are not the school's call unless law enforcement determines there is a credible threat.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This really comes down to one thing - people who hate guns.

You have a group of people who hate anything "gun" related. They don't want to see or hear about guns; therefore, they will try to punish, to the extreme, anyone that has any connections to guns. It's almost a religion to them, and they are devoted to the elimination of guns no matter the cost or methods.

They will twist around everything in their heads' until they feel they have rationalized any and every overreaction.

They are like the crazy radicals who freak out about anything related to pot.

I agree with your first part in regards to the anti-gun crowd. As far as your last sentence. When you say crazy radicals who freak out about anything related to pot, are you referencing those of us who support ending prohibition, or the "Reefer Madness" crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
What happens off campus, in none of the schools business.... Period.
If he is incarcerated and missing school, then it becomes the school districts concern, as they are not getting paid, while he is absent, so a punishment must be made(according to policy) so the district is paid for the lost money.

The schools job is education, not enforcement

Last edited by BentBow; 10-30-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There wasn't justification for suspension, let alone potential expulsion. There was justification, and an obligation, for notification of law enforcement and keeping the students in the office until they arrived. The school also had an obligation to provide law enforcement an area for interviewing the students and authorizing a locker search. Anything beyond those things are not the school's call unless law enforcement determines there is a credible threat.

If the student posted the pics on the schools page I would tend to agree with this.

However, if the pic, even with the accompanying statement of "homecoming" was posted on their own personal pages (something that has still not been clearly established, at least in this thread ) then the school is way out of line and even having the police questioning them seems to me to be legally iffy.

You are not supposed to be able to violate someones rights in America, when they have committed no actual crime, because of what you think they MIGHT do.

This the same concept that the left uses to rail against stop and frisk policies as unconstitutional but when it's about guns and "PROTECTING THE CHILDREN" then it's ok to give law enforcement and the schools complete power over the kids rights to free speech and privacy.

Check your Facebook privacy settings people, or maybey that pic you posted with a squirt gun will get you on a terrorist watch list.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How? By giving particularly moronic people anxiety attacks?
There have been several instances where some moron pointed an airsoft gun at a cop and got shot for it. So I was only telling the other poster that even though they are toys they could be mistaken for real. My reply had nothing to do with the the school did, for the record I think it was pretty assinine.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Absolutely they would need a warrant to search the home, unless they had the parents' permission. Whether to seek that or not should be the call of law enforcement, not the school, that's why I said if need be.

That picture with the comment "homecoming" may be deemed by a judge as enough of a credible threat to justify a warrant, especially if after interviewing the kids there is concern.
It's a sad day in America when the sheeple advocate a search of someone's private property for doing something completely legal.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh
The school has no business telling kids what they can and can't do on their own time.
No but if they are stupid enough to talk about it online USING THIER REAL NAME,they deserve whatever happens!!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
If we had zero tolerance for moron school administrators parents would have to homeschool.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What happens when the school ignores the concerns and complaints it received and the school then gets shot up?
On any given day multiple people will be posting photos of themselves or others with guns, air guns, etc., on facebook. Posting some photos on facebook is not a "threat" nor is it justification for violations of their rights. Typical police state mentality found in MA.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You lost me at search their homes. That's outrageous (and unconstitutional unless they could get a warrant). Lockers are school property so those are fair game. If LE tried to interview me or my kids for doing something completely legal it would be a really short interview. Am I being detained or am I free to go would be the extent of it.
Exactly, I got into an argument 2 weeks ago with a cop who was pissed off as hell at me for telling my kids to NEVER talk to them without a lawyer, and then a parent. My kids arent equipped in knowing when they should cooperate with the police. The fact that I had to teach them this, rather than what I was taught, which is always cooperate saddens me.
Quote:
They would have had no authorization at all to do anything with the police other than notify them and let them do their job.

Detain my kids for doing something completely legal, I dont think so...

Police want to talk to my children, they can come to my home, not pull them out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies