Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I have never been addressed impolitely by a cop. In fact, one time I was involved in a fender bender while driving to Home Depot with my handyman at the time. The officer apologized for the delay and my handyman was stunned at how polite the officer was. I had not even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

But, then again, I do not see police as the enemy.
Have you ever seen how most cops interact with young black males? Or just look at the evidence--- there are a dozen unarmed black males that have been shot down by police in the last dozen years, black males that were usually doing nothing wrong. You can't walk in someone else's shoes.

The article at the following link contains a video highlighting just a few of the unarmed black males that have been shot to death by cops over the last few years:

Why Darren Wilson wasn't charged for killing Michael Brown - Vox

Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think it's more likely Brown was a stupid, head-strong teen, acting naively and thoughtlessly as many teenage boys do. Any hardened criminal would not have engaged in a struggle with the cop, he would have been gone the second the police car appeared. Brown's actions, what we know of them, show his naivete.

You know, looking at the robbery video, the last thing I would have described MB as is Naive. He was content to use his size to intimidate. It worked great with the clerk, so he decided to try it on the cop, and that was a fatal decision on his part. Play with fire, you're gonna get burned.

The best takeaway here would be if young troubled youth would obey officers directions, and not fight the cop. If MB had done those two things, I'm fairly certain he'd still be among the breathing, rather than worm food.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
I think it's more likely Brown was a stupid, head-strong teen, acting naively and thoughtlessly as many teenage boys do. Any hardened criminal would not have engaged in a struggle with the cop, he would have been gone the second the police car appeared. Brown's actions, what we know of them, show his naivete.
Most teenagers don't rack up several misdemeanors and felonies over the course of a few hours as a "rite of passage" like Brown did.

That didn't even happen in my neighborhood where crime was out of control.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I think that Brown was just an ordinary, common POS thug. But with that being said, what if Wilson hadn't been a cop. What if he was just a regular working-class citizen, but the entire scene played out the exact same way. Would the aftermath in regards to proceedings, etc be the same? I sincerely doubt it.

Without any real way to know, this is just my opinion: The citizen would most likely have been arrested for murder. He would have been jailed and would have to bail out, if bail were granted, and would probably still be indicted by a Grand Jury. He would have gone to trial and the DA would try everything to get him convicted.
If the shooter had been a black male civilian, he'd be in jail right from the start, and awaiting his trial on capital murder charges, just like if George Zimmerman had been a black male.

Last edited by ellemint; 11-25-2014 at 11:40 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
You know, looking at the robbery video, the last thing I would have described MB as is Naive. He was content to use his size to intimidate. It worked great with the clerk, so he decided to try it on the cop, and that was a fatal decision on his part. Play with fire, you're gonna get burned.

The best takeaway here would be if young troubled youth would obey officers directions, and not fight the cop. If MB had done those two things, I'm fairly certain he'd still be among the breathing, rather than worm food.
I agree that Brown acted stupidly getting into an altercation with the cop. But I think that is not as bad as the police officer, who acted with excessive deadly force on an unarmed teen.

654 posts, read 1,250,837 times
When are they going to arrest the step father for inciting a riot?

Didn't he say....Lets burn this biatch down ?

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
You want some?
Nah, I left 2008 back in '08 but knock yourself out.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Have you ever seen how most cops interact with young black males? Or just look at the evidence--- there are a dozen unarmed black males that have been shot down by police in the last dozen years, black males that were usually doing nothing wrong. You can't walk in someone else's shoes.

The article at the following link contains a video highlighting just a few of the unarmed black males that have been shot to death by cops over the last few years:

Why Darren Wilson wasn't charged for killing Michael Brown - Vox

"No. 1 cause of death, young black men 15 to 34 — murder. Who’s committing the murder? Not police. Other black men."

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, homicide was indeed the No. 1 killer of black men between the ages of 15 and 34 in 2011, the most recent year with statistics available.

PunditFact rated the claim True.

Have you ever looked at how many cops are killed in the line of duty?
from The Washington Post:
49 officers killed in 2012. The average age of the officer killed last year was 39. All but two were white. Two were black. Two were female.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I agree that Brown acted stupidly getting into an altercation with the cop. But I think that is not as bad as the police officer, who acted with excessive deadly force on an unarmed teen.
I disagree. If you attack a cop, I think you should expect to be shot, maybe tased if the cop is feeling particularly generous that day.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:51 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Police officers have the right to shoot individuals who they believe have committed a felony AND are a physical threat to civilians.

Not just shoot them in this scenario...but shoot them even as they are fleeing.

Brown had committed two felonies that Wilson knew of (strong armed robbery, assaulting a police officer) and knew by the very nature of these felonies that civilians were in danger.

Tennesse v Garner lays the foundation for these protocols. You live in a country where Wilson had a legal right to shoot Brown even if he had been running away and not coming at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies