Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times

Advertisements

Nothing like widespread insubordination over hurt feelings. I wonder if they'll construe a way to blame de Blasio for anyone who dies because of their inaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Hmmm.. I wasn't privy to all the testimony the grand jury received so I could make such a determination. How did you get it? You must me psychic.... psychotic? I know it's something like that.
I too would like to read it.

I hope the poster will post a link.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And the whole world is witnessing how well that wrong decision is playing out.
The grand jury decision wasn't likely wrong. The charges presented then were likely wrong. It's too bad that N.Y. won't release the transcripts like Ferguson did.

If the charges presented were something like murder the grand jury would have little choice but not find for guilt. This is how prosecutors manipulate the proceedings. There should a list of charges or options presented and if the grand jury believes any of them apply they can vote so.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:27 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That simply is not true. The police are indeed suppose to be accountable to society.

Without the miserable situation there is no resisting. Why shouldn't people resist "miserable situations"?

First off, I never said it was about him breaking up a fight nor did the article state what you claim.

I stated why I thought they targeted him. Why do I always need to repeat myself? I would venture to guess you didn't actually take the time to read what I wrote, you just replied based upon your initial impressions. I'm not even sure you will actually read this.

We saw what happened, and again, I never said they were called because he was breaking up a fight. Garner's wife could continue to get mad at him if she knew he was selling cigarette's. The police can not continue to harass him and arrest him without actual proof.
If cops see s known prostitute on a corner or drug dealer in an alley, they can approach and question. We don't know, at least I don't know, what the cops did 1st with Garner. Ask what he's doing, tell him to move, ask if he had an extra smoke on him, or arrest him.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If cops see s known prostitute on a corner or drug dealer in an alley, they can approach and question.
They can.

Quote:
We don't know, at least I don't know, what the cops did 1st with Garner. Ask what he's doing, tell him to move, ask if he had an extra smoke on him, or arrest him.
Do you have a point? They can ask him whatever they want but he doesn't have to answer and that is not an arrestable offense.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They can.

Do you have a point? They can ask him whatever they want but he doesn't have to answer and that is not an arrestable offense.
I was responding to your claim that the cops can't 'harass' Garner unless they see him doing something illegal. Now that you've admitted they can approach a known criminal who is not doing anything illegal at that moment, it becomes whether they had a cause to arrest him. If they had no cause to believe he was selling loosies at that time, I can only guess they did what cops routinely do. Come up with a different reason to arrest, maybe disorderly conduct or engaging in threatening conduct, something like that.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I was responding to your claim that the cops can't 'harass' Garner unless they see him doing something illegal.
We would not be having this discussion if all they did was ask him some questions.

Quote:
Now that you've admitted they can approach a known criminal who is not doing anything illegal at that moment, it becomes whether they had a cause to arrest him. If they had no cause to believe he was selling loosies at that time, I can only guess they did what cops routinely do. Come up with a different reason to arrest, maybe disorderly conduct or engaging in threatening conduct, something like that.
Just making up charges is harassment and what the people are protesting.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:34 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,292,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
How long will it take before NYC is in chaos?
Won't happen, cops do not prevent crime. In fact the people might realize that they are not really needed.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
'Quality of life' isn't important to you, but it mattered plenty to De Blasio and his appointed police brass.

Too bad the DA won't do what they did in Ferguson and release the GJ testimony. The public still doesn't know whether the cops approached Garner because he was a well-known loosie seller or they saw him selling, whether they did or didn't find evidence he was selling [not that you'd believe they did].
Ferguson was a learning experience - the Prosecutor wanted every "witness account" told and everything transparent about the Grand Jury. Police Departments, the public and District Attorney's offices all learned that It Doesn't Matter.

The Media and Agitators will make up their own 'stories' ...... the Grand Jury doesn't matter to them.
Why should ANY Prosecutor's Office release the Transcripts after what we saw after St Louis County released all of theirs?

Nobody is interested in the Facts, nobody is interested in the Witness Testimony, nobody is interested in the Forensic Evidence. The only interest is in the Social Media/Street Version. They burned/looted Ferguson within minutes of the Grand Jury announcement - NOBODY cared about the Facts of the Case. They still are don't care.

"Hands Up" never happened. Nobody cares.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Ferguson was a learning experience - the Prosecutor wanted every "witness account" told and everything transparent about the Grand Jury. Police Departments, the public and District Attorney's offices all learned that It Doesn't Matter.
Where do you get this from? These types of things have been done thousands of times.

Quote:
The Media and Agitators will make up their own 'stories' ...... the Grand Jury doesn't matter to them.
Why should ANY Prosecutor's Office release the Transcripts after what we saw after St Louis County released all of theirs?
What happened had nothing to do with them releasing the information.

Quote:
Nobody is interested in the Facts, nobody is interested in the Witness Testimony, nobody is interested in the Forensic Evidence. The only interest is in the Social Media/Street Version. They burned/looted Ferguson within minutes of the Grand Jury announcement - NOBODY cared about the Facts of the Case. They still are don't care.

"Hands Up" never happened. Nobody cares.
The protests started well before the grand jury ended.

Ferguson Protests | Photos | The Big Picture | Boston.com

As I noted many times I believe Ferguson got it right but we also know that the prosecutor allowed people to lie to the grand jury. If you had any doubt this would certainly feed those doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies