Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
But aren't Canadian cities themselves far less dangerous than American cities?
Perhaps. I haven't done an in-depth study of Canadian crime stats so if you say they're more safe, I believe you. Refer to post #1079..... There are many factors that influence crime rates, guns just being one of many. Canada has actually loosened some of their gun laws by abolishing their registry requirement in recent years.

Also, what those who boast about countries with "far lower crime rates than the U.S." fail to tell you, and for good reason, is that those crime rates were always far lower than those in the U.S...... even before they brought in tough gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
That doesn't explain why China has a homicide rate that's 4.7 times lower than ours...

Could it be it's because it has a strict gun control?
Sure, that could be one of many factors, yes. I don't deny that guns DO play a certain role in the crime rates, but they are certainly not the root cause of crime itself....

If you go to a crime ridden ghetto ( is that word still politically correct? I've lost track ) and give just a few criminals a couple guns, that will likely result in tragedy. However, if you go to a good neighborhood and give 1000 guns to law-abiding people...... nothing happens.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
You guys are hilarious. Every other developed country on earth has homicides rate FEW TIMES LOWER than ours and all of them have strict gun control. We are the ONLY developed country in the world with lax gun laws and the only one with crime rates WORSE than many of the third world countries.
Yet you still fail to draw any conclusions.... Hillarious.
You just can't get passed this can you? How many times does it have to be said the correlation does not prove causation?

Also, how many times does it have to be told to you that the crime rates in those countries you refer to were ALREADY FAR LOWER than the rates in the U.S. before they brought in gun control, so pointing to their lower rates today does not prove a thing?

Old 01-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, because we always had more guns than most of those countries
Guess what else we've always had more of? Pillows. Yes, pillows. So how do you know that it isn't pillows causing the higher crime rates here? Well, you don't, because again, correlation doesn't prove causation.

You need to be able to see past your bias towards guns if you ever want to have an intellectually honest discussion about crime. You act as if we only got rid of guns, there'd be no crime, and that just isn't so.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
According to your approach, doubling the number of guns would make us safer because it's unlikely that the number of gun deaths would double. This is why you are called a "gun nut."
Your complete lack of logic makes you an anti-gun nut.

Is it your contention that doubling the number of guns would double the number of people murdered? Do you actually believe there is a direct correlation between the number of guns and the number of murders?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,905 times
Quote:
They are not a root cause but they definitely make it easier to commit a crime...

Your reasoning was so naive I was just waiting for a unicorn to appear. First of all criminology doesn't know a term "law-abiding people", nobody is born neither a criminal nor a saint and there is no way of telling when a "law-abiding citizen" will turn into a criminal and cheat on a tax return or shoot his wife out of jealousy or pure madness. Violent crime is not isolated to any specific ethnic, racial, professional group or social class.
We know for a fact that the more guns are available to ordinary people the more likely they are to commit crimes, guns just make it very easy to kill someone, they are also easy to be stolen and end up in hands of career criminals. The more guns, the more crime. This holds true anywhere in the world, why wouldn't it be true in America?

All of the developed nations realized that long time ago so we are the only nation that pretends it's not so and as a reward we enjoy murder rate worse than Turkey and Tajikistan, not to mention all other developed countries of the world that already restricted access to weapons.
Jesus Christ man it's not possible that you are that thick. Read the FBI expanded table report it breaks it down for you nicely. Do the simple freaking math. The top 10 murder cities alone account for over 7000 of last years 12,500 murders. Do I need to spell it out for you further. Does anyone else fail to understand that we have 20 ghettos in our country that account for 75% of our total murders?

FBI — Table 16

Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
They are not a root cause but they definitely make it easier to commit a crime...
So in other words, your solution isn't to cure the actual disease, just the symptom?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
OMG... is this still being debated... look... I'll sum it up.. put 1000 guns in the hands of law abiding people and you don't get 1000 murders..of course not... what you do get is 300 accidents (of which 100 were fatal), 50 suicides and of course you get some murders, don't flatter yourselves, white people can and do murder each other. The point is, however, NONE of this could have happened if the guns weren't there to begin with.

It isn't an argument. No guns= no gun accidents, no gun crime, no gun injuries, no gun deaths. It really is that simple. If after knowing that, you still want to have guns around. Fine. But don't be ignorant about it. Don't be disingenuous about it. You aren't debating morons! And... enjoy the empowerment. In my lifetime there will be widespread gun control in the United States. Nothing so destructive will last forever. Yah, 20 ghetto communities account for 75% of murders, but for every gang-banger killed by another banger, a very solidly middle class American dies by accidentally shooting themselves, or their hunting buddy, or blows off a ****, or shoots their child or or or... when you tally it all up there are as many non-ghetto gun incidents as ghetto gun incidents. If that's alright with y'all then its fine with me. For as long as it lasts that is. I kinda like the symmetry of it. For everyone of us we lose, you lose one too. Rock on.

H

Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Wherever there are people and guns there will be negligence, malevolence and gun deaths.

This chart includes suicides....and just as before, I'll be glad to tear this chart and your link up again....

There were so many holes in that link....

Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
OMG... is this still being debated... look... I'll sum it up.. put 1000 guns in the hands of law abiding people and you don't get 1000 murders..of course not... what you do get is 300 accidents (of which 100 were fatal), 50 suicides and of course you get some murders, don't flatter yourselves, white people can and do murder each other. The point is, however, NONE of this could have happened if the guns weren't there to begin with.

It isn't an argument. No guns= no gun accidents, no gun crime, no gun injuries, no gun deaths. It really is that simple. If after knowing that, you still want to have guns around. Fine. But don't be ignorant about it. Don't be disingenuous about it. You aren't debating morons! And... enjoy the empowerment. In my lifetime there will be widespread gun control in the United States. Nothing so destructive will last forever. Yah, 20 ghetto communities account for 75% of murders, but for every gang-banger killed by another banger, a very solidly middle class American dies by accidentally shooting themselves, or their hunting buddy, or blows off a ****, or shoots their child or or or... when you tally it all up there are as many non-ghetto gun incidents as ghetto gun incidents. If that's alright with y'all then its fine with me. For as long as it lasts that is. I kinda like the symmetry of it. For everyone of us we lose, you lose one too. Rock on.

H
LOL... back this up....if that were true....thee would be many more dead people...

But you cannot, you know better....

For every gangbanger killed a non-gangbanger also gets killed...HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Link, or just like most anti gunners in this thread...just another lie to suit your needs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies