Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I didn't know Timothy McVeigh, Adam Lenza, and Seung-Hui Cho were Muslim.

Stop lumping all Muslims in the extreme category. I have several friends and work colleagues who Muslims and none of them are like these idiots that killed those innocent people today.
None of those had to do with religious terrorism. Just wait until your coworkers have a bad day. You might want to start wearing Kevlar to work, and a turtleneck sweater made of chainmail.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How would a Western country identify a Muslim?
Let me be the judge. I'll sort them out!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Agreed.

So who has tried to curtail YOUR freedom of speech?
The IRS curtailed the tea party. The left wanted Obama to be re-elected so they curtailed the free speech of the tea party using the IRS.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You are welcome to be blind to this virus that is islam. Watch the video of the POS finishing off the French cop.
Denial is a mind-killer.
And this post is an example of it.
Didn't a POS finish off 2 officers in NY recently?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:41 AM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Agreed.
So who has tried to curtail YOUR freedom of speech?
I am speaking up for the 11 cartoonists who were killed by your Islamists for exercising their constitutionally given right to free speech.

You should watch these, some of them are quite clever!
Charlie-hebdo-french-satire-magazine

Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
More cloaking.

They aren't a cult.

They believe in the same God that Christians believe in, that Jews believe in. They follow the God of Abraham. Three religions, all based on the same foundation, that each took different paths.

And each of these religions has their own claims to shame. Each of these religions has been USED and invoked to commit terrible atrocities. Each of these religions have scriptures that are ambiguous, contradictory, and confounding. All of these scriptures have been re-written, interpreted, and translated to the point that what we read today bears little resemblance to the original texts.

And the extremists are cloaking their goals behind the veil of religion, just like those that participated in the Crusades, or in the Inquisition, did. They are human beings who are angry and fearful and dissatisfied and who think that great injustices are carried out by the rich and powerful. Just like a lot of Americans feel about government, and about the rich and powerful. They are human beings who think that violence will get them heard. Unfortunately, I think there are Americans who think that way, too.

Terrorism has to be stopped. But it's not going to be stopped by oppression and suppression of a religion. That just leads to more feelings of fear and anger. More blind hatred. And, like it or not, there will always be people on this planet who will be the have-nots. Who will hate those who do have. Who will feel that the unfairness of life is a great injustice. Who will turn to violence, because they'd rather burn the world down, then be those who are without.
I am not very interested in these historical blame games. Yes they are real and important, but using crimes committed by Christians centuries ago to blunt criticism of Muslims is meaningless.

What matters to me is what is happening today. I am not aware of any mass casualty events occurring now in the name of Christianity. Some fundamentalists argue for weakening of Constitutional law. And I think in the US, Christians complain and whine a lot (without justification). But complaining and working through the political process is very different than killing people because they don't like free speech (which is law in France).

The same 1st Amendment in the US that protects free speech protects freedom of religion. Religion can't trump the 1st Amendment in the US.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
I am speaking up for the 11 cartoonists who were killed by your Islamists for exercising their constitutionally given right to free speech.

You should watch these, some of them are quite clever!
Charlie-hebdo-french-satire-magazine
I guess the poor French cop laying there helpless on the ground was just too good a target to pass up.

Probably in solidarity with "hands up don't shoot."

Doubt that cop had anything to do with the offending cartoons - but I suppose an infidel is an infidel.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
Alright, let me revise my previous statement.

People are "fearful" that a 7th century barbaric cult, created by a war-mongering, illiterate, pedophile is being allowed to creep in the western world.
A cult that has given this world absolutely nothing but death and destruction in the modern era.
Life expectancy was about 35 years in those times.
Sex with 9 year olds was rather common in those times and certainly not limited to Mo.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What "hidden motivation" do religious terrorists have I hitting a satirical newspaper? What "ulterior motive" exists that is simply using religion as a ruse? I'm sorry but I think you're simply going way too fa rout of your way not to offend and trying to be conciliatory humanist.

I would argue that extremists did not cloak their goals behind the veil of religion in the Crusades and Inquisition. Religion was not an excuse, it was the REASON for the pathology in the first place.

They are called RELIGIOUS extremists for a reason.

Are there people who use religious texts as a cloak? Yes. But a more apt example would be apologists for things like slavery (which was not motivated by the Bible, but justified because -- hey look, it's in the bible). Or, using the Koran to enforce and maintain systemic sexism in Islamic cultures.

That is entirely different than being so warped and shaped by religion that it literally causes you to be violent or kill others.
A lot of the people who were targeted by the Inquisition were people who were vulnerable and who had something someone else had. So the person who wanted something directed the Inquisitors to their targets. Just like witch hunts. Some people were targeted just so that someone else could get their land and property.

Even religious extremists are human beings. We rationalize our actions, but in the end, we do what we do to have our needs met. I think religious extremists have a need to be heard. It's not a hidden motivation, but it's an underlying motivation. Hitting a satirical newspaper is a way to be heard. To be discussed. And that's what we are doing right now, what millions of people around the world are doing. They are suddenly AWARE of these terrorists in a way they weren't yesterday. The terrorists have forced people to become aware of them.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:47 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Oh look, more "workplace violence". RIP to the innocents.

Wake up, World. Islam's goal is to destroy Western civilization. Through liberal political correctness we are letting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies