Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
but why best picture and not best director?
Because the director wasn't as good.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 PM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
It is glaring this year because everyone was saying first the James Brown then the Reverend King performances were a lock. James Brown was early in the year and got overtaken by the December Oscar bait films. Dr. King, one entertainment show says even though it got the limited qualifying release the inexperienced producers mistake, that didn't get the DVDs out to the voting members so that Oyelowo was not nominated, as they missed other major nominations.

Now with race being an issue Selma is odds on favorite to take best picture as the industry tries to prove we are not really racist.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Oh gosh, it's another long-winded Oscars boring award show. It's not like a Nobel Peace Pride or some humanitarian award presentation. I for one don't care which mind numbing, self aggrandizing speech making recipient hysterically clutching an ugly gold statuette going on and on thanking everyone including the dog gets their spot in the limelight. I'll be watching a DVD that night.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
eh who the hell cares? go read a book....why come all white people do this? how come blacks always gotta do that? why in the world are asians always doing that over there.....cotdam we are all a part of the human race, with good and bad traits/activities in ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the races. Jeezzzus.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 PM

98 posts, read 117,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosby6969 View Post
How come Caucasians and Asians are the only two races that seem to coexist in peace?

I live in a neighborhood in Northern Virginia that is about 50% white and 50% Asian. There is very little crime and everyone seems to get along in all social aspects. There is frequent dating between the two races as well.

Blacks have been in this country a lot longer than Southeast Asians and they just don't seem to want to assimilate into American culture --- they want to have their own subculture with it's own rules.

Makes no sense to me!
I would say middle class and upper middle class blacks have completely assimilated into American society. Lower income African Americans, which is what I am assuming you are referring to, tend to have a differing mindset from the middle class blacks, due to different and often times generational financial struggles.

African Americans have a history of wanting their own towns, institutions, schools, hospitals etc. due to the high rate of prejudice and violence against them in the past. This segregated past has created what you see today, an African American subculture made out of necessity.

I mean I have no idea what your idea of American culture is or "assimilating" is according to you, because you mention interracial dating? So is full assimilation in your eyes mixing race with white people?

It should make complete sense. Selma was nominated? It may win, and like someone said, only to prove that Hollywood isn't racist.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
There were AA actors well represented in the Razzies this year. Tyler Perry, Jaden Smith, Chris Brown, and Halle Berry were all nominated. Doesn't that count for anything?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh gosh, it's another long-winded Oscars boring award show. It's not like a Nobel Peace Pride or some humanitarian award presentation. I for one don't care which mind numbing, self aggrandizing speech making recipient hysterically clutching an ugly gold statuette going on and on thanking everyone including the dog gets their spot in the limelight. I'll be watching a DVD that night.
Indeed. The liberal Hollywood elite (apologists) are now Racists because they don't have an Affirmative Action program. Full Circle. How hypocritical of them. Couldn't happen to a finer bunch. LOL

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 01-16-2015 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 04:08 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
Movies, including performances and other categories, need to be marketed directly to the Academy voters for nominations. If the movie isn't campaigned for highly enough, the Academy can overlook watching them. There are countless CLASSIC movies, performances, etc. over the decades that were ignored by the Academy, because of that reason.

There's real, deadly, racism out there, that affects people like me. It does a disservice to claim racism or other injustice at instances that can be easily explained.

Even so, I don't care what the Academy thinks, or considers a "good movie," either way.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:17 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
The voters are old white guys

Old 01-16-2015, 04:20 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
All the actors and actresses nominated for Oscars are white. Don't black actors and black actresses performances matter?
So what? Sometimes with lists, certain things turn out certain ways from year to year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies