Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hmmm. Speaking of preventable deaths, I guess no one remembers the heat wave which killed thousands of senior citizens in France in the summer of 2003 when the entire country went on vacation. An atrocity like this would have horrified Americans....

USATODAY.com - France heat wave death toll set at 14,802

More Than 11,000 (11,435) Heat Deaths in France <Increasing from 10,000>
How would you prevent a heat wave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Speaking of preventable deaths, I guess no one remembers the heat wave which killed thousands of senior citizens in France in the summer of 2003 when the entire country went on vacation. An atrocity like this would have horrified Americans....

USATODAY.com - France heat wave death toll set at 14,802

More Than 11,000 (11,435) Heat Deaths in France <Increasing from 10,000>
You are absolutely right, it was lamentable. A horrible, horrible fluke. Unlike certain parts of the US, heatwaves of that nature are incredibly rare in France and as such there was little done to prevent the effects of it. Very bad planning.

Air conditioning is virtually non existent in France ( and the rest of Europe) as French people can usually cope with the heat. In those cases it happened during fluke weather conditions and old people's homes were just not prepared for it. Politicians did not handle the situation well at all and only made it a "state of emergency" far too late.

Most of France takes their holidays in July and August and the services were just not there to accommodate the situation at all. Badly planned and I hope it never happens again.

Sad and terrible but a lot better than a system where your wallet decides on the state of your health. Where 49 million have no healthcare. Where greed takes precedence over a basic human right. I'll take the French healthcare system over the US one any time. And having lived in the US and being French and having long term health problems I think I am fairly qualified to make an objective decision.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
George Bush could have started a war on heat waves and saved the French had he been in power maybe ?! Had an American person been at the helm of the French government it just would not have happened don't you know ?

I mean we know how good this administration has been at handling natural disasters such as Katrina. Talk about prevention...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
No one can prevent heat waves. But this thread is about preventable deaths. Half of France's medical professionals were on vacation when this heat wave struck. I call that poor planning by the country supposedly rated first in the OP. What do you call it?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
However, and notwithstanding, it still ranked higher than the States!

Quote:
No one can prevent heat waves. But this thread is about preventable deaths. Half of France's medical professionals were on vacation when this heat wave struck. I call that poor planning by the country supposedly rated first in the OP. What do you call it?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You are absolutely right, it was lamentable. A horrible, horrible fluke. Unlike certain parts of the US, heatwaves of that nature are incredibly rare in France and as such there was little done to prevent the effects of it. Very bad planning.

Air conditioning is virtually non existent in France ( and the rest of Europe) as French people can usually cope with the heat. In those cases it happened during fluke weather conditions and old people's homes were just not prepared for it. Politicians did not handle the situation well at all and only made it a "state of emergency" far too late.

Most of France takes their holidays in July and August and the services were just not there to accommodate the situation at all. Badly planned and I hope it never happens again.

Sad and terrible but a lot better than a system where your wallet decides on the state of your health. Where 49 million have no healthcare. Where greed takes precedence over a basic human right. I'll take the French healthcare system over the US one any time. And having lived in the US and being French and having long term health problems I think I am fairly qualified to make an objective decision.
Supposedly superior France blew it in a way that America never has. Thousands of seniors paid with their lives. Your final paragraph is an exercise in rhetorical ruffles and flourishes which cannot conceal the fact that such a puiblic health catastrophe would not -- could not -- ever have happened in the supposedly inferior USA.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Quote:
I liked Mooseketeer's explanation. Having lived in Europe for many years I know that air-conditioning is not common. Extreme heat waves are not the norm in Europe.
The only way to prevent such a disaster again would be to cancel all vacations for all health professionals during the months of July and August, putting them all on stand-by.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
However, and notwithstanding, it still ranked higher than the States!
By whom? Two people from the London School of -- what was it? -- Hygeine and Tropical Medicine? Focused on what population? Oh, yes -- people under the age of 75 (thereby conveniently eliminating many of the victims of the French catastrophe). For how long a period of time? Two years.

Pretty selective use of populations, time limit, and manpower. I'd like to see some comparative research done on studies with broader population ranges, over a longer period of time, by a more credible institution.

As it stands, this is just one more piece of winnowed America-bashing. No one on this thread even remembered the French 2003 disaster until I brought it up, and when they were forced to acknowledge it, they used it as a springboard to hurl more insults and slurs at the US, instead of putting it into its proper perspective, as a public health disaster of the first order which shames and humiliates France's medical community to this day.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I liked Mooseketeer's explanation. Having lived in Europe for many years I know that air-conditioning is not common. Extreme heat waves are not the norm in Europe.
The only way to prevent such a disaster again would be to cancel all vacations for all health professionals during the months of July and August, putting them all on stand-by.
So even though France does not have air conditioning, and permits its doctors to go on vacation ever summer, it is still superior to America in limiting preventable deaths?

I'm sorry, but thats absurd.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:26 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
We are just not as intellect, clever or well read as you are, and clearly your knowledge is superior to the London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

No debate!

Quote:
By whom? Two people from the London School of -- what was it? -- Hygeine and Tropical Medicine? Focused on what population? Oh, yes -- people under the age of 75 (thereby conveniently eliminating many of the victims of the French catastrophe). For how long a period of time? Two years.

Pretty selective use of populations, time limit, and manpower. I'd like to see some comparative research done on studies with broader population ranges, over a longer period of time, by a more credible institution.

As it stands, this is just one more piece of winnowed America-bashing. No one on this thread even remembered the French 2003 disaster until I brought it up, and when they were forced to acknowledge it, they used it as a springboard to hurl more insults and slurs at the US, instead of putting it into its proper perspective, as a public health disaster of the first order which shames and humiliates France's medical community to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies