Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The gay mafia goes berserk when one small business won't bake them a gay cake (a cake they could get anywhere else) but completely ignore yet another incident of Islamists throwing gays off of buildings to their deaths for being gay. ~Liberal Logic 101

ISIS throws man off tower block for 'being gay' then stone him when he SURVIVED the fall
The incidents are just the same?
No, they're not.

First of all, show me a gay mafia even exists.

Secondly, show me gays didn't get riled up by ISIS throwing gays off roofs.

Thirdly, show me where a straight cake maker threatened to throw a gay off a roof.
Being thrown off a roof and not being served in a store open to the public are 2 very different things. Let's compare apples to apples.
The same question could be: Show me the Islamists refused to bake a cake for a gay couple in Portland.

Fourthly, then show me when a cake could be gotten anywhere else. There was one refusal to serve gays already. Do you have any proof there were no others?

You threw a lot of mud on the wall, but none of it stuck.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So has Jeff figured out what a gay wedding cake is yet?
If that's your best argument then consider me not impressed.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default This is Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
There is another thread (recently closed) out there for a bakery in CO who denied to make a cake for a gay couple. This, however, is from Oregon. I don't think posing a question is even necessary. My only statement is it's a for profit organization and it's not religious non-profit. They have to abide by the law or take it further up the legal court food chain.

Oregon: Anti-gay Christian bakery found guilty of discrimination
I read the article and it seems to me the rights of the Bakery have been abused in forcing to go against their Religious Beliefs. It would be interesting if That same bakery could sue the State of Oregon and the Happily couple over the US Constructional Religious right.

If I was in the shoes of the Couple, I am not sure if I would like a cake from a business that would opt out of a piece of business.

Any business can refuse service if they ore uncomfortable with the client. It will get to a point where business will consider such a piece of business and then turn to the Gay Inquirer, we can not support that business and unable to deliver, because of over booking. PERIOD!

Anther Example of Radicle Gays forcing their (less than Moral) Life style on other people. I am sure there in more than one bakery in the entire State of Oregon. I wish the Gay Community would respect the rights of other people!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If that's your best argument then consider me not impressed.
Who needs an argument? Waving a bible around doesn't put homophobes above the law, and laws apply to unhappy right-wing bigots as much as they do anyone else. I can't see any sort of argument against it that doesn't consist of right-wingers whining about how they shouldn't have to obey the law because they're sad.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I read the article and it seems to me the rights of the Bakery have been abused in forcing to go against their Religious Beliefs. It would be interesting if That same bakery could sue the State of Oregon and the Happily couple over the US Constructional Religious right.

If I was in the shoes of the Couple, I am not sure if I would like a cake from a business that would opt out of a piece of business.

Any business can refuse service if they ore uncomfortable with the client. It will get to a point where business will consider such a piece of business and then turn to the Gay Inquirer, we can not support that business and unable to deliver, because of over booking. PERIOD!

Anther Example of Radicle Gays forcing their (less than Moral) Life style on other people. I am sure there in more than one bakery in the entire State of Oregon. I wish the Gay Community would respect the rights of other people!
Yes the less than moral lifestyle of buying a CAKE!!!!!

How dare they!?!?!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:39 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:

Here's what you don't seem to grasp: the right to refuse service to someone because they are gay does not exist. If it seems to you the baker's rights have been violated, that means you don't understand what rights this baker has. You've confused how you think things should be with how things really are.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Who needs an argument? Waving a bible around doesn't put homophobes above the law, and laws apply to unhappy right-wing bigots as much as they do anyone else. I can't see any sort of argument against it that doesn't consist of right-wingers whining about how they shouldn't have to obey the law because they're sad.

This about the rights of the Business Owners. Not only choose whom they want to do business with , but this turns in a US Constitutional Issue. For those of you have forgotten your US Constitution and American History in HS.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

This has nothing to do with beings "Bigot" . What about the Rights of the Bakery??????

I guess some of you don not care about that!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes the less than moral lifestyle of buying a CAKE!!!!!

How dare they!?!?!
Its what that cake represents. If you are a Believer that life is Immoral and goes against their Life in Christ. If you are Gay they would consider the Life style that have chosen is right and moral. It depends in which seat are sitting from.

I would recommend anther Bakery and tell the prospective client I am unable to deliver a cake due to over booking.

What you going to sue a Hotel for being sold out?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:

And while I agree to a point, at the same time, is denying this service actually a religious right? While the Bible condemns homosexuality, and I think anyone who chooses to go along with that view for religious reasons should have that right, what exactly does it say about refusal to service? I'm no expert on Christianity, but I do know that Jesus wasn't known for turning sinners away. Jesus made it pretty clear, only he (and his dad, who is also him or something) can judge people. So, are these bakers really following their faith by denying service for reasons that they themselves decided were worthy. The lord did not give those bakers the right to decide who can and cannot get married. Why are the bakers taking on a responsibility that is not theirs?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Its what that cake represents. If you are a Believer that life is Immoral and goes against their Life in Christ. If you are Gay they would consider the Life style that have chosen is right and moral. It depends in which seat are sitting from.

I would recommend anther Bakery and tell the prospective client I am unable to deliver a cake due to over booking.

What you going to sue a Hotel for being sold out?
I would recommend not opening a bakery that sells wedding cakes in a state that has anti-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation. Your personal religious beliefs do not trump generally applicable laws.

They baker did not say they were over booked, they said we will not sell you a wedding cake because you are a lesbian couple. If they had said that they were over booked the whole issues would probably not have even come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies