Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I understand it perfectly, picking out a specific class of people and giving them special protections.

You just said a member of the KKK is not a protected class so the baker could refuse to bake their cake, because they are not protected class.

It's you who cannot seem to comprehend what you've just said.
The person who is in the KKK is a protected class, the actual organization itself is not. If he were to go into a black bakery and be told "We don't serve white people here" he would have the same case as this lesbian couple does. Your are under the assumption that broad swathes of the population is left out of being a protected class when everyone is a protected class. What exactly are you having a difficult time comprehending here?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:26 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The bakery doesn't refuse to serve gay people. It refuses to customize a product to recognize a ssm.
If the baker bakes wedding cakes, then how is baking a wedding cake for a gay couple customizing the product? The baker just wants to discriminate using his/her bible, period.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It really isn't actually. Marriage is barely mentioned at all. Equal protection means you get equal protection under the law. It doesn't mean you get to violate it with impunity because your Church says you can.
Then I gotcha Ya.
What you really saying it is OK to discriminate against someone 1st amend rights in include equal protection and every thing you have just says is you willing to protect a gay couple, as a protected class, over the rights of Christen Business Owners and Believers alike.

How many more Sacraments do I need to provide my point. 1 Corinthians 15:33, Mathew 5:22, Mark 12:25, Luke 14:20

Gotcha!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Then I gotcha Ya.
What you really saying it is OK to discriminate against someone 1st amend rights in include equal protection and every thing you have just says is you willing to protect a gay couple, as a protected class, over the rights of Christen Business Owners and Believers alike.

How many more Sacraments do I need to provide my point. 1 Corinthians 15:33, Mathew 5:22, Mark 12:25, Luke 14:20

Gotcha!
No, those same Christians would have that protection if they went into a pagan bakery and were denied a cake because they are Christian. So you have two passages that mention the word marriage and you are trying to say that means they are sacrements . Seems like you are stretching it just a bit to prove your point.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:33 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
Quote:
I read the article and it seems to me the rights of the Bakery have been abused in forcing to go against their Religious Beliefs. It would be interesting if That same bakery could sue the State of Oregon and the Happily couple over the US Constructional Religious right.

If I was in the shoes of the Couple, I am not sure if I would like a cake from a business that would opt out of a piece of business.

Any business can refuse service if they ore uncomfortable with the client. It will get to a point where business will consider such a piece of business and then turn to the Gay Inquirer, we can not support that business and unable to deliver, because of over booking. PERIOD!

Anther Example of Radicle Gays forcing their (less than Moral) Life style on other people. I am sure there in more than one bakery in the entire State of Oregon. I wish the Gay Community would respect the rights of other people!:mad:

That's not going to happen-
It's the agenda these days- they target a business that they know is
Christian & try to force the business to go against their beliefs....
When of course the business doesn't comply-
They deliberately have an all out media blitz against the "evil" Bible believers.....

I gotta say- you taking on this rabid crowd here is inspiring
My hat is off to you, sir

Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If the baker bakes wedding cakes, then how is baking a wedding cake for a gay couple customizing the product? The baker just wants to discriminate using his/her bible, period.

The Bakery retrospectively should sold a generic wedding Cake and said there you and your bill is 5K pay the Girl many at the register.

This couple should of never visited the bakery with knowing they may not receive the service they would like and move on to a Gay Bakery.

This whole thing has been a stunt by the Gay Community.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The person who is in the KKK is a protected class, the actual organization itself is not. If he were to go into a black bakery and be told "We don't serve white people here" he would have the same case as this lesbian couple does. Your are under the assumption that broad swathes of the population is left out of being a protected class when everyone is a protected class. What exactly are you having a difficult time comprehending here?
I think I'm just getting hung up on your use of the term class. If everyone is treated equally under the law, then there is no class.

The phrase "protected class" is an idiotic phrase or distinction to use, unless you are carving out laws to name specific groups or class of people. but that is exactly what people do, they pick out a specific class of people and write laws specifically to give them special protections.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The baker didn't refuse to sell the cake because the person was gay. They didn't want their business to participate in a ceremony that goes against their moral beliefs. BIG difference. Your analogy doesn't match what is going on with the baker. Mine does because the wood carver doesn't normally make Mardi Gras statues. That would be forcing him or her into a morally conflicting situation.
Big fat lie, the baker refused to sell them a cake because of their sexual orientation, they were not asked to attend any wedding or participate in any ceremony and their morals have nothing to do with baking a cake.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think I'm just getting hung up on your use of the term class. If everyone is treated equally under the law, then there is no class.

The phrase "protected class" is an idiotic phrase or distinction to use, unless you are carving out laws to name specific groups or class of people. but that is exactly what people do, they pick out a specific class of people and write laws specifically to give them special protections.
No they don't, but you seem to have a hard time grasping that fact .

Old 02-04-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
The Bakery retrospectively should sold a generic wedding Cake and said there you and your bill is 5K pay the Girl many at the register.

This couple should of never visited the bakery with knowing they may not receive the service they would like and move on to a Gay Bakery.

This whole thing has been a stunt by the Gay Community.
Yes, because it's obvious from the store front that the owners are Christian and all .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies