Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It depends on the state actually. The biggest reason they had a hard time with OJ was because he gained most of his income from memorabilia conventions and was paid in cash which is harder to track. He also moved to a state that didn't allow his primary residence to be seized in lieu of the judgement. You can also only declare bankruptcy if you show you can't physically make the payments at all anymore. You can't declare one just to avoid payment entirely. The bankruptcy laws were tightened about ten years ago and require a lot more proof you can't pay your bills anymore.
No; civil case law on what it takes to get a judgment are the same on proof requirement. No different by US supreme court ruling. Your taking about collecting once a judgment is gotten where states have different rules. OJ moved to Florida because they do not allow collection of judgment on his retirement income. Nothing different has far as debt with a civil judgement in bankruptcy. Besides this can go many yeasr in appeals and all the way to US supreme court in the religious aspect which hasn't been ruled on as to these laws. They are not a protected class; so that does come into play.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:22 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
There's a new bakery accused of this every week. Why does it matter?

Seriously, I see both sides here. There is no difference between a cake for gay people and a cake for straight people, and since cake has no value aside form being a desert, it's not really making a statement or even necessary to refuse to bake a cake for gay people. The bakery is only turning away customers for arbitrary reasons.

As the same time, unless this is literally the only bakery with a 10 mile radius, why do the gay people care? Go to a bakery with a smarter owner? Why make a fuss? It's not like by refusing to bake a cake, your whole way of life is destroyed (any more than making the cake would destroy the bakers way of life; it's stupid cake). Let them be stupid in their silly beliefs and go to a bakery where the owners isn't an idiot.

We don't need to sue people overtime we're slightly offended.
I'm more than slightly offended. Cake has incredible value. How dare you? What are you a pie fundamentalist? Doughnut lover? Cookie appeaser?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
WHy do you demand that gay rights trump everyone else?
No one is doing so. This is an anti discrimination law that applies to every. It just happens in THIS particular case it is homosexuals utilizing that law.

[MOD CUT]

The fact is that these discrimination laws are in place, whether you and I agree with them or not (and as I said in the past you and I are more in agreement on the issue of this law than you think). But the sane and rational approach to that is to address the law specifically, approach your government representatives about it, campaign about it and so forth.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: rude/discuss the topic not other posters

Old 02-05-2015, 04:28 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Answer this Finn, what law does the 1st trump? I always notice that it is the "Christians" that want to discriminate. Why do you guys want to discriminate? Does it somehow make you feel superior, better then everyone else?
No not at all. The question is way do a minority want to destroy people's business , just because they are a Christian based Business? I google Bakeries in Portland Oregon and I cam up easily 100 Bakery's in the Metro Portland area.

So the Business Owners were targeted.

There is still the basic right to do business or not to.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
No, it is that I will not drink the Kool Aid spread out by religion. The baker never had the right to discriminate, so they had nothing to stand up for, she was a fool, stupid for using her religion to discriminate, she deserves to lose her business wether it was gays, blacks, jews, atheist or anyone that she chose to use her bible to discrimate with. Why don't you think that through. Do you think that a Jewish baker should be allowed to refuse service to a Christian customer?
How many ways do I have to explain to . this case was a matter of someone targeting a business, because they have Christen Value . How many places in Metro Portland can buy a Wedding Cake, that would welcome the Couple business and give a Great Deal?

The Law in Oregon focuses on a group. It does not provide equal protection for all (which was probably the intent). This is not the first case. The Photographer guy in NM and anther Bakery.

How many more business must be destroyed, because a owner does not feel comfortable doing business on moral and religious grounds????

PS:By the way Jesus was a Jew. FYI

Old 02-05-2015, 04:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
While I think everyone deserves the same rights....
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon: Anti-gay Christian bakery found guilty of discrimination-8042-lg.jpg  

Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
This mark the third time I will ask this, and probably the third time you will intentionally ignore it because the question is too hard: but what Christian value did the bakery fulfill? Yeah, I get, homosexuality is an abomination. But sinners can eat cake to. Jesus didn't turn people away who lived lives of sin. Why would his followers do so, then claim their doing what he wants? Why would he want you to do the literal opposite of what he did?

Besides, if God is the main force behind marriage, let him handle it. It's not the bakeries department to meddle with the business. Let the people preforming the marriage worry about it, and if God isn't happy, he can kill them like he used to. And the baker can just bake a cake and not care what happens with it. It's a cake. It represents nothing. It's desert. Does the baker really care who's eating it? And again, it comes down to the whole Jesus thing. If Jesus were a baker, do you really think he'd trouble himself with who's eating the cake? Considering he happily hung around with prostitutes and thieves, I can't imagine he'd really care if two dudes trying to secure their assets through secular marriage would want a cake to go with the event.
You actually have a valid point about how Jesus works with Sinners. The Bakery was holding true to its core values based on Religious life choices which is protected by law. They Obviously believe in traditional Marriage Happy Gay couples life style offended the values of the business. Yes good business has values.
Look at Hobby Lobby and Chick Filet.

Christian owned Businesses that values are used everyday. Yet they serve all groups of people providing services and values to the customer. Gay customers understand they are entering and supporting a Christian based business to do business.

This is a clear case of targeting and reverse Discrimination since the Law in Oregon. was written. Technically speaking the 2 claims have cancel each other out based on Discrimination.
1. The couples right to buying product ( I would of found a more willing vender)
2. The rights of 1st and 14 Amendment of a Christian Believer. Which technical apply to both parties in this case.

This has turned into a Religious Debate, because the way you trying to portray Christians. You can simple throw a phrase and not be called on it. Every case has 2 sides to a story which you chose to ignore , how many times?
I lost count!

How many times have Gay's use the word "Offended"?? Please!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:36 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; civil case law on what it takes to get a judgment are the same on proof requirement. No different by US supreme court ruling. Your taking about collecting once a judgment is gotten where states have different rules. OJ moved to Florida because they do not allow collection of judgment on his retirement income. Nothing different has far as debt with a civil judgement in bankruptcy. Besides this can go many yeasr in appeals and all the way to US supreme court in the religious aspect which hasn't been ruled on as to these laws. They are not a protected class; so that does come into play.
They refused to hear a similar case last year on the subject. The SC has long given states wide latitude in determining anti discrimination laws. It's unlikely that they are going to rule on this anytime in the near future. Regardless, your advice that they should just declare bankruptcy to avoid payment just isn't sound.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I'm more than slightly offended. Cake has incredible value. How dare you? What are you a pie fundamentalist? Doughnut lover? Cookie appeaser?
No! The worst of them all. The poster is likely an eclair evangelist.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
WHy do you demand that gay rights trump everyone else?
Why do you demand that Christian rights trump everyone else? Get back to me when you have worked that one out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies