Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 07:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You just made it clear that protected classes get special protections, and if you are not a part of the protected class you get hung out to dry. Gays as a protected class do not represent all people, they just represent a small portion of the public.

So I have to bake a cake that extolls the gay lifestyle, and I can't refuse even if i disagree with it, because being gay is a protected class. But if someone wants me to bake a cake extolling the white race, I can refuse to bake it because I disagree with it, because being a racially motivated person is not a protected class.
Everyone is a member of a protected class in some way or shape. Race, Religion, Gender, Disability, and in some cases Sexual Orientation. Usually you are falling under more than one class. You have a poor understanding of what a protected class is if you think only a small sliver of society gains those protections.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
The right to refuse service based on sexual orientation does not exist. Refusing custom to gay people is not part of any religious practice, so the argument that this impedes the free exercise of religion is a dead end.

It's always a dead end. Why do you guys keep making the same arguments? It's not like they get less wrong with age.
Ok what if a OMG Baptist, bible toting, go church Wed and twice on Sunday. couple came in a Gay Bakery.

The openly Gay Bakery Owner says I do not believe in God nor marriage and refused the Baptist Couple.
Id not feel comfortable doing business in a Man / woman Marriage,.Would you sue the Bakery the same that the Gay couple sue the Christian Based Business?

Your other point, is Marriage is one the important Sacraments of the Bible. To support a Sin is direct disobedience to God. The same principles people practice everyday. So therefor it against the Christian Beliefs and is written in many parts of the Bible. To Begin with is Genesis Chapter 2 verse 21.

So it does infringe on the rights of a Christian Based Business. Look at the issue of Hobby Lobby and the issue of Abortion? (Roe vs. Wade)

Same continued example of 1st Amendment Rights. Why are we writing laws to protect a class of people. What happen to your 14th Amendment on "Equal Protection"???? Doesn't it apply to Christian Business owners??

After all "Equal Protection"

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That's actually a good idea. If I had a restaurant or bakery and they tried to force me to serve people I didn't want to I would probably spit a big fat loogie in their cake or sprinkle some fecal matter or urine over it. But I agree why would somebody want to go to a somewhere were your business is not welcome.
Well, that sounds like quite the business to be claiming Christian values while denying gay couples a product you already make.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Ok what if a OMG Baptist, bible toting, go church Wed and twice on Sunday. couple came in a Gay Bakery.

The openly Gay Bakery Owner says I do not believe in God nor marriage and refused the Baptist Couple.
Id not feel comfortable doing business in a Man / woman Marriage,.Would you sue the Bakery the same that the Gay couple sue the Christian Based Business?

Your other point, is Marriage is one the important Sacraments of the Bible. To support a Sin is direct disobedience to God. The same principles people practice everyday. So therefor it against the Christian Beliefs and is written in many parts of the Bible. To Begin with is Genesis Chapter 2 verse 21.

So it does infringe on the rights of a Christian Based Business. Look at the issue of Hobby Lobby and the issue of Abortion? (Roe vs. Wade)

Same continued example of 1st Amendment Rights. Why are we writing laws to protect a class of people. What happen to your 14th Amendment on "Equal Protection"???? Doesn't it apply to Christian Business owners??

It really isn't actually. Marriage is barely mentioned at all. Equal protection means you get equal protection under the law. It doesn't mean you get to violate it with impunity because your Church says you can.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Everyone is a member of a protected class in some way or shape. Race, Religion, Gender, Disability, and in some cases Sexual Orientation. Usually you are falling under more than one class. You have a poor understanding of what a protected class is if you think only a small sliver of society gains those protections.
It's more than that. Everyone is a member of EVERY protected class.

Everyone has a race - everyone has a sex - everyone has a sexual orientation - etc, etc, etc.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

The gay bakers would be in violation of the very same law that the christian bakers violated. You can not discriminate based on religion either.

Quote:
Then do not open a business that has anything to do with weddings if it would violate your personal religious beliefs to do so.

Quote:
That had nothing to do with state or federal anti-discrimination laws.

Quote:

Christian businesses have to follow the same laws as gay business owners, and Hindu business owners, and Muslim business owners, and Wiccan business owners, and Asian business owners, and any other business owner. That is a perfect example of the laws being applied equally. Every business has to follow the same laws. No business can claim personal beliefs to skirt the law.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Do you think an animal rights activist who runs a catering business should be forced to cater a butcher's convention with live demonstrations of meat carving? Same type scenario. This has nothing to do with discrimination. It's about forcing people to go against traditional religious morals and taking away freedom of religion.
Freedom of religion is not freedom to discriminate. Any one that opens a business to the public must follow the law, just because one is Christian, Jew, or what ever religion does not give them the right to discriminate against their customers.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I understand it perfectly, picking out a specific class of people and giving them special protections.

You just said a member of the KKK is not a protected class so the baker could refuse to bake their cake, because they are not protected class.

It's you who cannot seem to comprehend what you've just said.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That's actually a good idea. If I had a restaurant or bakery and they tried to force me to serve people I didn't want to I would probably spit a big fat loogie in their cake or sprinkle some fecal matter or urine over it. But I agree why would somebody want to go to a somewhere were your business is not welcome.
Are you Christian? Is this how Christians are, they will spit in ones food just to be mean or put fecal matter in it? Geez you guys are sick, demented even to do something like that and claim to be a good Christian.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's more than that. Everyone is a member of EVERY protected class.

Everyone has a race - everyone has a sex - everyone has a sexual orientation - etc, etc, etc.
The phrase protected class flies in the face of what you just said.

You should not be able to refuse to bake a cake for one person, because you disagree with their beliefs or lifestyle, but are required to bake the cake for someone else, even if you disagree with their beliefs or lifestyle.

Lucidkitty just said we can refuse service to someone in the KKK, but not to someone who was gay.

Either you cannot discriminate against people you disagree with, or you can. You cannot allow discrimination against this guy, but not that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies