Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
So they knew them pretty well. (at least well enough).

Also, they weren't 'antigay' if they purchased other items there.
They knew then well enough to know they were good and profitable targets.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They knew then well enough to know they were good and profitable targets.
They knew them well enough to know that they liked the cakes the bakery made and would like to purchase one.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
OK, so you say anti-discrimination laws trump the 1st amendment. Gotcha. I disagree. Forcing people to participate in gay weddings violates the 1st amendment, and since you obviously do not know, the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. It gives us the right to refuse to participate for religious reasons. Feel free to disagree.
Nope, I'm just pointing out to you that this isn't a First Amendment issue. There is nothing here to "trump".

Old 02-04-2015, 07:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Which law trumps the 1st amendment?

The gay-scam can be lucrative, but lets not preteded we didn't see this coming. There were reasons why people opposed the gay agenda.
Did you oppose the Christian agenda or the Black agenda or the Irish agenda some 50 years ago when Christians, Blacks, and the Irish got the exact same anti-discrimination in public accommodations protections that some states are currently extending to sexual orientation?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:30 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This about the rights of the Business Owners. Not only choose whom they want to do business with , but this turns in a US Constitutional Issue. For those of you have forgotten your US Constitution and American History in HS.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

This has nothing to do with beings "Bigot" . What about the Rights of the Bakery??????

I guess some of you don not care about that!
The right to refuse service based on sexual orientation does not exist. Refusing custom to gay people is not part of any religious practice, so the argument that this impedes the free exercise of religion is a dead end.

It's always a dead end. Why do you guys keep making the same arguments? It's not like they get less wrong with age.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If that's your best argument then consider me not impressed.
So you are aware that there is no difference between a gay wedding cake and a straight wedding cake, so denying a gay couple from being to buy a wedding cake is discrimination.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:40 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
They wouldn't have to do it, because the KKK are not a protected class as a group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Everyone does get the same protections because the protected classes represent all people.
You just made it clear that protected classes get special protections, and if you are not a part of the protected class you get hung out to dry. Gays as a protected class do not represent all people, they just represent a small portion of the public.

So I have to bake a cake that extolls the gay lifestyle, and I can't refuse even if i disagree with it, because being gay is a protected class. But if someone wants me to bake a cake extolling the white race, I can refuse to bake it because I disagree with it, because being a racially motivated person is not a protected class.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are aware that there is no difference between a gay wedding cake and a straight wedding cake, so denying a gay couple from being to buy a wedding cake is discrimination.
I am not even sure what there was about the cake that started all of this. From what I remember about this, the cake was exactly like any other cake, except the couple were lesbians.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You just made it clear that protected classes get special protections, and if you are not a part of the protected class you get hung out to dry. Gays as a protected class do not represent all people, they just represent a small portion of the public.

So I have to bake a cake that extolls the gay lifestyle, and I can't refuse even if i disagree with it, because being gay is a protected class. But if someone wants me to bake a cake extolling the white race, I can refuse to bake it because I disagree with it, because being a racially motivated person is not a protected class.
Sexual orientation is what is protected under the anti-discrimination laws. Everyone has a sexual orientation.
Race, sex, and religion are also protected classes. Everyone has a race, sex, and religion (or lack of religion) also. See? Everyone is protected by the same laws.

You can not be refused service for being straight (sexual orientation), white (race), male (sex) or Christian (religion). Just like I can not be refused for being a homosexual, white, female, atheist.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I am not even sure what there was about the cake that started all of this. From what I remember about this, the cake was exactly like any other cake, except the couple were lesbians.
They never even got to the discussion of the design of the cake. The baker refused to make them any wedding cake because of their sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies