Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That case is about drug use in religious rituals. We are talking about people being forced to participate in something which is against their religion. There is HUGE difference.

Like I said, I hope they look into this scam, because gays are targeting more and more Christians are with it.
People choose to open businesses.

In doing so, they choose to adhere to the rules and regulations required in their locality.

If your religion requires you to discriminate against a protected class, opening a business that puts you in contact with the general public is probably not a good idea for you.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
That case is about drug use in religious rituals. We are talking about people being forced to participate in something which is against their religion. There is HUGE difference.

Like I said, I hope they look into this scam, because gays are targeting more and more Christians are with it.
As I said before, they won't in this case. It's funny how you accuse people of targeting them when you can offer up exactly zero proof that they have done so. And it doesn't matter what the case was about my friend. It's the opinion of the justice that shines light on the legality of anti discrimination polices.

https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights-rel...ination-policy

Old 02-05-2015, 07:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
After last year's Hobby Lobby decision, the Court might be ready to rule 5-4 in favor of bakeries like the one in this case.
Separate issues entirely with different backgrounds. The key reasoning it failed was because the Administration was already allowing religious exemptions in the first place. They even noted in their ruling that it was very very very narrow and did not mean that businesses could use religious discrimination to do what they want.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

Wait, so only religious beliefs YOU approve of should be protected?

Polygamy is a religious belief to some.
Drug use is a religious belief to some.
Honor killings are a religious belief to some.
Tossing babies off of towers is a religious belief to some.
Leaving the bodies of the dead out to be eaten by animals is a religious belief to some.

Heck all religions are man made so anything that anyone can dream up can be a religious belief.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
After last year's Hobby Lobby decision, the Court might be ready to rule 5-4 in favor of bakeries like the one in this case.
Doubt it. The Supreme court refused to hear the photography case last year, and it was basically the same issue with anti-discrimination laws.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nope, the baker simply doesn't want to assist in preparing a ceremony that they believe is morally wrong.
Then don;t offer wedding cakes for sale if your religion is against selling cakes for a reception.

P.S. a reception is not a ceremony, it is an after party.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They lost their business, was harassed, and now probably will go into financial ruin and bankruptcy. All because a gay couple got offended. So yea, I would say they are the victims here.
No. They closed their business before the case even started and they are in financial ruin because they broke the law that was in place BEFORE the opened the bakery.

If you don't want to follow the law, don't open the business.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
People choose to open businesses.

In doing so, they choose to adhere to the rules and regulations required in their locality.
No government, even local government, should not be allowed to force association.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:42 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
As I said before, they won't in this case. It's funny how you accuse people of targeting them when you can offer up exactly zero proof that they have done so. And it doesn't matter what the case was about my friend. It's the opinion of the justice that shines light on the legality of anti discrimination polices.

https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights-rel...ination-policy
Our system is broken/has cracks. That's why ridiculous suits like this even get entertained.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No government, even local government, should not be allowed to force association.
Again.

Opening a business is a choice.

Don't want to adhere to the rules and regulations of your locality, don't open a business in that locality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies