Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
I do a lot of Section 8 work.

You should see how many able under 40 bodies are still asleep at 13:00 or sitting on a porch......
Do you think they're unsuccessfully looking for jobs though, or do you think they're genuinely just loafing around?

I don't know anyone who I'd call lazy, except maybe one person.

Most people I know are overachieving workaholics if anything. I feel lazy sleeping even 8 hours a day compared to some people I know. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:22 PM

273 posts, read 240,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Do you think they're unsuccessfully looking for jobs though, or do you think they're genuinely just loafing around?
"Kicking it" on my dime.....

They even rub it in when they can......

SOBs....

What gripes me even more is when they do everything in their power to make it even more difficult. God only knows I love kneeling down in dog and cat ****.......getting fleas.....rats....coons...mice...kick a poopy diaper out of the way....etc....

****ing love it!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
On an economic level, increasing minimum wage increases unemployment, and reduces potential job growth. Mises Daily | Mises Institute

People who currently have jobs that pay less than $15/hr will DEFINITELY lose out, and the clients of all those businesses will lose out.

It also hurts those of us who would like to pay other people for household help and other assistance that makes our life easier, or to do things we can no longer physically do (like hiring someone to clear the snow off your porch, sidewalk and small driveway for the 5 days a week when another 2' of snow falls). If you can find someone to do jobs like this (you won't in NH), you'll need to pay them at least the new minimum wage, probably more.

Some businesses will be put out of business by higher minimum wage, like many have closed their doors thanks to the costs of Obamacare. Their employees will probably ALL be severely hurt, since replacement jobs are nearly nonexistent. Some businesses will replace employees with automation, which is cheaper than paying the new minimum wage on top of all the other costs of employees--many of which benefit government rather than the employee. Other employees will simply lose their jobs to businesses protecting their current profits, and remaining employees will have to work twice as hard to make up for their laid off peers.

The customers of businesses will get even LOUSIER service than they do now, with less employees and more overworked employees--longer wait times in the phone line or at the store, more inconvenient hours, less attention to fixing problems, less competent service. Considering how bad customer service is NOW, it is hard to imagine how it will get worse, but we can be assured that it will.

If you are younger than 50, you may not even KNOW what high standards businesses used to have for customer service. In my first job at a bakery at 16, there would be two minimum wage employees handling a rush of about 70 people arriving every Sunday after Mass, all with large orders and most people picking out a dozen donuts one at a time ("Joe wants a honeydip, Jane wants a jelly..."). Yet the entire crowd was served and gone within about 1/2 and hour. Each customer would spend 30 seconds giving their order, and we'd take about 10 seconds to box/wrap the order & cash out. Every employee felt incredibly stressed by the fact that ANY customer was waiting for service--for even a moment. How did we get to today's economy, where customers are consistently ignored even when desperately trying to find an employee when they cannot complete their transaction without one? And all these employees get paid FAR MORE THAN I DID, thanks to liberal efforts to push minimum wage far beyond the worth of many low-skill or no-skill jobs?

To think that everyone who gets paid less than $15/hr is someone who would otherwise be getting taxpayer's dollars, is WRONG. Many are simply youngsters who are living with their parents and paying their dues before entering adult careers: "Workers under the age of 25 made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less.” Mises Daily | Mises Institute These people won't qualify for welfare--unless, of course, they are stupid enough to breed children and embark on your taxpayer-funded "career" as a single mother.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
My point was that a lot of highly skilled and difficult occupations haven't kept up with inflation in years.....maybe decades. The folks who work them make less per hour than they did 20 years ago. That doesn't stop the owners from making record profits and raising their prices annually.

It's a imbalance and "problem" that direly needs addressed. It won't be under this administration....I can guarantee that.
Yes, the decline in wages to labor across the board (unskilled, semi-skilled, and skilled) with more returns going to capital holders has been a problem in the last few decades. The problem has everything to do with globalization with societies with less capital and nothing to do with the minimum wage however, and raising the minimum wage won't help labor more generally, just the individual people between the new and the old wage who keep their jobs and those making within a couple dollars above the new level. It's like placing a band-aid over a third of a wound.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
"Kicking it" on my dime.....

They even rub it in when they can......

SOBs....

What gripes me even more is when they do everything in their power to make it even more difficult. God only knows I love kneeling down in dog and cat ****.......getting fleas.....rats....coons...mice...kick a poopy diaper out of the way....etc....

****ing love it!

WTF Raccoons?? smh!

I hope you get paid handsomely to have to deal with that!

How do people live that way?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 PM

82 posts, read 55,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The whole concept of minimum wage was supposed to mean "the smallest wage you can survive on." Obviously a family can't survive on $7.50 per hour = $1,156.38 per month (after taxes) = $13,876.60 per year. It's probably enough for a single person who is splitting the rent with one or more roommates, or just one person in a very rural location.

So what happens when we bump that number up to $15 per hour? After taxes, you end up with $2,178.29 per month or $26,139.45 per year. Can a family survive on that? Probably. With two incomes at that level, you could definitely support a family just about anywhere in the USA. Sure you're not living in Beverly Hills, but you can find a decent living space with that just about anywhere in the country. So yeah, $15 per hour achieves your intended goal of minimum wage being enough to live on.

Instantaneously changing it would be a disaster. You're effectively doubling the income of a huge portion of the population. In the process pushing pay rates for lower middle class, middle middle class and upper middle class folks higher. If an unskilled worker can make $15 an hour flipping hamburgers, then in demand highly specialized jobs would need to pay more. The United States couldn't handle the sudden shock and rapid inflation would burn through anything you gain from all of it. If you're going to do it, you must:
1.) Do it gradually, probably over a period of ten years or more.
2.) Peg the minimum wage to inflation. The target minimum wage that you're moving to at the end of 10 years = whatever wage has the current buying power of today's $15 per hour income. This way, out of control inflation would be irrelevant. Inflation only really hurts people when their pay does not increase to match it.

By doing it gradually and planning ahead for inflation, it just might work. I'm pretty conflicted on doing it at that federal level though.
Nobodies wage has increased much since the 90s and won't until the economy gets better.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-linear View Post
Nobodies wage has increased much since the 90s and won't until the economy gets better.
Yes because the economy is doing horrible, and hasn't recovered at all....oh wait...no...

Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Quote:
Tell me why a certified, experienced and qualified TIG Aluminum welder would stick around for $15 when he just got a raise from $12.50 when he could work at Dairy Queen for $15?

His sweatshop boss has been screwing him for years......
If there is a skilled aluminum TIG welder who can also weld pipe making $15.00 an hour, he or she doesn't care or is completely ignorant. I've had many employers try to pay me the same for plumbing as welding, lol.

My hood stays at home for anything under 30 an hour. There are only a few thousand welders in the US who can really TIG, especially aluminum. That's supply and demand, certainly you can hire some of those motorcycle shop hacks, but finding a damn good one isn't easy.. MIG welding, I could teach anyone here how to MIG in a few hours, if they have one arm and are blind, maybe a day.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I actually don't think minimum wage should be too high.

Let's say I have a startup and can only budget spending $15/hr on labor.

If minimum wage is $15, I can hire only one worker.

If it's $5, I can hire 3 workers.

Granted, it may not be a fully liveable wage, but at least it means more people can make something.

And they won't end up with the nasty unemployment gap, meaning they won't have that disadvantage when applying for higher paying jobs.

I would support higher minimum wages for large companies, but it'd be way too easy for them to get around it.
Pay 'em $2.50, and you can hire 6 workers!

Quote:
Tell me why a certified, experienced and qualified TIG Aluminum welder would stick around for $15 when he just got a raise from $12.50 when he could work at Dairy Queen for $15?

His sweatshop boss has been screwing him for years......
He wouldn't, if he was smart. Time for his boss to pony up on that raise.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,938 times
I didn't see the response if it was posted, but I have a question:

If minimum wage goes up, and our regular job "minimums" do not, how does this make sense? Salaried jobs should also be adjusted, right..? Or am I wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies