Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Healthcare is not affordable for the majority of people without a subsidy from government or employers.
The majority of US people have healthcare insurance subsidized by their employers. This was true before and after ACA.
This is the truth that everyone who complains about the subsidies in the ACA refuse to address. Employer based insurance has been always been subsidized by the government. Anyone who has tried to buy health insurance without that government/employer subsidy knows the true cost of healthcare. No one could afford it without subsidies.

It's time that people who receive their health insurance through their employers acknowledge that they have been subsidized all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ba ha ha ha ha Obviously you have convenient <extreme self centered> thinking. Obviously you have no pride knowing you are taking from others to support yourself. I hate Obamacare...

My monthly premiums increased, my deductible increased and now I get maternity care which I don't need.
A friend of my wife's has to pay $1000/mo premium with a $15,000 deductible. With costs like that, what good is insurance?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This is the truth that everyone who complains about the subsidies in the ACA refuse to address. Employer based insurance has been always been subsidized by the government. Anyone who has tried to buy health insurance without that government/employer subsidy knows the true cost of healthcare. No one could afford it without subsidies.

It's time that people who receive their health insurance through their employers acknowledge that they have been subsidized all along.

If you receive it through your employer it is part of your compensation. It is provided to you in exchange for work you provide to them. Make sense?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
A friend of my wife's has to pay $1000/mo premium with a $15,000 deductible. With costs like that, what good is insurance?
LOL. Pretty darn good if it protects you from millions in medical costs.

Yeah it sucks for the day to day...but it covers the big things.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Hearsay anyone?

By law, there are now out of pocket maximums which include the deductible, co- pays and co-insures.

$6,600 for and individual and $13,200 for family plans.

It is not possible to have a $15,000 deductible.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
If you receive it through your employer it is part of your compensation. It is provided to you in exchange for work you provide to them. Make sense?
The largest tax subsidy for private health insurance — the exclusion from income and payroll taxes of employer and employee contributions for employer-sponsored insurance (ESI) – is estimated to cost approximately $250 billion in lost federal tax revenue every year.

Tax Subsidies for Private Health Insurance | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

What do you think would happen to your insurance rates if the government rescinded this exclusion? Do you believe employers would continue to charge their employees the rates they had been enjoying when the government was picking up the tab? Nope, they would pass the real cost on to their employees, who would then get an up close and personal view of what their healthcare really costs.

Why have all of us who are self-employed been paying the way for those who get these employer based subsidies--to the tune of $250 billion every year? The Republicans are always looking for places to cut the budget. Here's a good way to put $250 billion back without raising taxes. After all, it's not a tax, it's just making everyone "pay their own way," right?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
I utterly detest it.

I had coverage that fit me.

Now after the monstrous lie from the serial liar, I prefer to pay a fine which was zeroed out due to my tax credits.

And I have the personal satisfaction that no one is mooching off of me.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I did not have to wait to hate. The $400/mo. I have been paying for 15 years, I've never used it! My family and I have had perfect health, damn it! Why can't we have car crash or tumor like all our friends? I should only have to pay premiums when I know I can cash in on them!!!!:m ad:

Now that I am middle Aged, it is too damn expensive, despite my great health. I want someone else to pay...my whole life!

I HATE being responsible....

I think the OP suffers from Stage 4 narcissism.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Then why isn't it taxed as compensation?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

Nope, I buy my health insurance without subsidies from government or employers and while I was happy before Obamacare I am not happy now. My rates went way up. To counter you jude,

Only those who get a subsidy (other people paying for their insurance) are happy. Those of us paying for your insurance are not happy... how dare we not be happy paying your share.

I don't understand how you don't get that. are you brain dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies