Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times

Advertisements

Many people have long believed that the downfall of America has been planned and plotted by greedy corporations, power hungry politicans, and the powerful elite. I used to think that those people were paranoid whackos, but now, I'm not so sure. All of the aforementioned factors and the actions of politicians on both sides make that theory not so far fetched anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Many people have long believed that the downfall of America has been planned and plotted by greedy corporations, power hungry politicans, and the powerful elite. I used to think that those people were paranoid whackos, but now, I'm not so sure. All of the aforementioned factors and the actions of politicians on both sides make that theory not so far fetched anymore.

I really wish, more people woke up and see what you now know. It's not pretty, is it....and maybe, even though the bible was written by men...."We" man, will be our own demise.
We've you and me, just touched only the tip of the ice burg....of what has been going on....

Remember, every gallon of gasoline you pump into your car, the government gets 70 cents on the dollar???? 70 cents on every gallon of gasoline that is pumped all over the nation....???? And what do they do to refine the oil...to transport it...nothing. Where is all that money going?????? And now, is it clear, why we havent' progressed with energy efficent cars...electrical power, heating oils...and even recycling. We have the minds, the technology, but we don't use it.....Why?

Creme

Last edited by cremebrulee; 01-20-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I used a variable rate mortgage because it was available and I did not jump on the speculation train. The type of mortgage was not the problem but telling the fools that they could all get rich by 'trading up' and speculating with their primary asset was the problem. Allowing the securities market a means of fueling the speculation with equity money financed the whole bubble.

The government will offer a bail out to the borrowers to protect the banks and provide enough time for the speculators to take their profits and bail. I think this has already happened and the foreign investors that did not short the REITs a year ago have been screwed. I don’t mind doing this to the Saudi’s but to Duchesbank?
Yes, the government will offer a bail out to the borrowers...who do you think is going to have to pay for all this mess...and if we, as kids ourselves (my generation) knew, to not touch a variable rate mortgage with a 10 foot pole, why, why would anyone else do so. Another example of how your actions effects so many other people....

You don't mind doing this to the Saudi's???? Sheesh? What kind of concept is that? How is that motivational thinking for the good of man? For the good of your community? That's right, we're all neighbors...and now, I'm going to have to pay for your senselss mistake. This is what is happening...all over the nation...individualism, no concern for the consequenses of actions....and quick fixes...regardless of who must suffer those consequences.

One thing...yanno, that money Bush and the administration is talking about giving to everyone here in America. Remember they did it before....who...do you think will pay for that? We will...nothing if for free. They did this before, and it ended up, those couples, who received that money last time, paid out, at the end of the year...taxes....economy stimulus?????? They are not giving us anything.....

Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Default Decline of America

i agree, sweet creme, the country is going downhill rapidly!!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
i agree, sweet creme, the country is going downhill rapidly!!

have you noticed, of late, that young adults, not all, but some have very limited knowledge...not only haven't they much to say, but also cannot express themselves, properly. It seems like there is a lack of interest, I mean, people don't even know history, nor care to learn...when you talk with some of them, their ability to touch on different subjects is limited, not to mention, this new slang, which goes, "so I like and he like and I'm all...."? What is that?

It seems to me, there is no enthusiasum for knowledge...or no concept of their abilities...?

Maybe it's me?

Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Everyone over the last 35 or so years has had some hand in bringing us to this point. Yes, the corporations and the elite have a part of it, but even bigger is the social degregation wholly encouraged by MTV, BET, Rolling Stone et al. Intelligence is not cool anymore. Being "hard" and "gangsta" is a virtue. Acting stupid is a chance at stardom.

I don't blame Bush or the elite anymore. Wanna know why? Becuase America deserves what it gets. Between the grossly obese woman paying for her cheetos and twinkies with food stamps. The teenage kids with baseball caps and "Stop Snitching" tee-shirts. Half-naked 11 year old girls at the mall. High Schoolers who can't read "Spot goes to School". Oversied McManshions and Hummers. Out-of-control drug use and crime. Rudeness and hate a badge of honor.

Screw "The People". The sooner we realize we are the problem, the better things will be.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:02 PM

120 posts, read 391,032 times
Quote:
Stop, come on. There is no conspiracy. In capitalism, it is not abnormal for the rich to get richer, and the poor get poorer.... and competition turns into the formation of monopolies as companies eat up other companies... then the monopolies get split up eventually, and it starts over.

This has always been one of the fundamental problems with capitalsm. It's not a perfect system, as no system is. And when you factor in the world economy, it can really churn it up. Your conspiracy theory is a fun thought, to try to justify what is happening, because people always love a good conspiracy, but unfortunately, it is just capitalism.....

Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I used to think they were conspiracy theories but I'm not so sure anymore.
I thought there would never be an NAU but then I see NAFTA, CAFTA and now an agreement where Canandian forces can enter the US.

The rich are getting richer by 10x what they used to. CEO's are getting billions in bonuses every year. Most production is now done offshore.

America's Race to the bottom just may hold some truth.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:52 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
You're right. The evil corporations want to make sure everyone is poor so we can be modern day slaves to make products 90% of the world can't afford to buy because we're slaving for them 7 days a week. It's all over.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:56 PM

120 posts, read 391,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
You're right. The evil corporations want to make sure everyone is poor so we can be modern day slaves to make products 90% of the world can't afford to buy because we're slaving for them 7 days a week. It's all over.
There is no great conspiracy here. In capitalism, it is not abnormal for the rich to get richer, and the poor get poorer....this has always been one of the fundamental problems with capitalsm. It's not a perfect system, as no system is. And when you factor in the world economy, it can really churn it up. Your conspiracy theory is a fun thought, to try to justify what is happening, because people always love a good conspiracy, but unfortunately, it is just capitalism..... and it has flaws as people use the free market to make money. Get involved with your local congressman or get into politics if you want to help change things....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies