Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Regardless of religion, businesses operate to serve the public. Saying I will not do business with a small percentage of the public just does not work in our society. It is plain discrimination.
Fortunately, as has been reiterated literally at least a thousand times here in this forum, nobody wants to do that. Whoever gave you the idea that anyone did is either ignorant or a liar.

There is no religion that promotes the idea that people should refrain from buying and sell with others based solely on their sexual orientation. None.

There is no pattern or practice of refusing to sell to people in our country based solely on their sexual orientation. I challenge you to come up with an example of a merchant in the US that does not sell to homosexuals, period, for any reason. I do not believe you can do it, because as far as I am aware it does not occur. Apparently not at all. Feel free to try and prove me wrong, if you can.

And in fact the woman in this pizza restaurant made it clear that she is happy to sell to homosexuals in her store during the ordinary course of business, and that she does so regularly. Obviously if she was refusing to do business with a certain small percentage of our society, as you say, then she would not be willing to do that. Would she?

Instead, what she is refusing to do is associate herself with a specific activity that is religiously offensive to her. That is behavior that is protected by the first amendment and now this new RFRA law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 PM

592 posts, read 414,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
"I didn't ask for this on my cake. There must have been a mix-up."
He doesn't make cakes without Jesus saves. So what are you going to do?

Quote:
You don't seem to understand. Pretending god is real does not put right-wing bigots above the law. I don't understand why this keeps coming up. Do these people get into business without knowing how businesses operate or something?
This new law is supposed to protect the baker from all the left wing bigots out there. Why would you go to a Christian bakery to buy a cake anyway?

Old 04-05-2015, 06:17 PM

592 posts, read 414,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So if your religious practice dictates you should stone women in the street if they've been raped, the law doesn't apply?
I would hope so. I would hope the law would reflect the religion of the people, in this case Christianity. It usually does.

But if you're going to abuse your rights by shoving your pagan rituals down our throats, then if you cause even one child to fall, the Lord rebuke you!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
I would hope so. I would hope the law would reflect the religion of the people, in this case Christianity. It usually does.

But if you're going to abuse your rights by shoving your pagan rituals down our throats, then if you cause even one child to fall, the Lord rebuke you!
Let me remind you of your statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3
When it comes to religion and the practice of religion there can be no law.
There is either law that restricts elements of free practice of your religion (whatever that may be) or there isn't. The law doesn't reflect the "religion of the people". Well not here anyway. Thank God.

As to your last point, right back at ya. That's my sentiment exactly.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Fortunately, as has been reiterated literally at least a thousand times here in this forum, nobody wants to do that. Whoever gave you the idea that anyone did is either ignorant or a liar.

There is no religion that promotes the idea that people should refrain from buying and sell with others based solely on their sexual orientation. None.

There is no pattern or practice of refusing to sell to people in our country based solely on their sexual orientation. I challenge you to come up with an example of a merchant in the US that does not sell to homosexuals, period, for any reason. I do not believe you can do it, because as far as I am aware it does not occur. Apparently not at all. Feel free to try and prove me wrong, if you can.
Here's two. Considering how much hatred and resentment there is against gays in Oklahoma, I'm not surprised one is from there.

Homophobic Restaurant Gets Yelp Reputation As Gay Bar

Here?s the Restaurant Owner Who Won?t Serve ?Gays? and People ?on Welfare? -- Grub Street

Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Here's two. Considering how much hatred and resentment there is against gays in Oklahoma, I'm not surprised one is from there.

Homophobic Restaurant Gets Yelp Reputation As Gay Bar

Here?s the Restaurant Owner Who Won?t Serve ?Gays? and People ?on Welfare? -- Grub Street
For the first one, the owner denies that this is a broad based policy, and what is mentioned is one homosexual couple who it appears may have been acting inappropriately. Throwing two homosexuals out of your establishment for getting nasty does not demonstrate any sort of unwillingness or a lack of desire to serve people regardless of their sexual orientation at all. And it comes as no surprise that the homosexual community would conspire together with their thug like tactics to try and ruin this person, as we of course have seen them recently doing the same thing to the pizza shop owner in Indiana. These homo-fascists are some seriously out of control A-holes.

So your first example is rejected.

As far as your second example, at least he clearly does what you claim he does. However, this guy seems to hate everyone. LOL. He appears to be a rabble rouser. I shouldn't have said nobody, I should have said virtually nobody, to leave room for the odd exception like this guy.

Certainly this guy's motivations are not religiously motivated. He is just a loud mouth, mean-spirited redneck prick, and he is apparently proud of it.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 AM

89,050 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I don't understand why this keeps coming up. Do these people get into business without knowing how businesses operate or something?
SCOTUS has already ruled that closely held corporation (not publicly traded) business owners retain their First Amendment right to exercise their religion regardless of what a law mandates.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:51 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
When it comes to religion and the practice of religion there can be no law.
False.

Quote:
Why would you go to a Christian bakery to buy a cake anyway?
We aren't taking about Christian bakeries. We are talking about bakeries owned by a Christian. Playing games with words to try to make your point sound more significant than it is makes clear that you know what you're saying has no merit without distorting the reality.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
SCOTUS has already ruled that closely held corporation (not publicly traded) business owners retain their First Amendment right to exercise their religion regardless of what a law mandates.
In certain situations.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 AM

89,050 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In certain situations.
Yes. The ruling is restricted to closely held corporations (not publicly traded) only, and there must be a less-restrictive means of acquiring the services/goods.

In the case of bakeries, florists, photographers, cateres, officiants, etc., there are plenty of less-restrictive means to acquire such goods/services for weddings. I posted a link extolling the virtues and even downright trendiness of buying a wedding cake from publicly traded corporation grocery stores. And the photos showed some really beautiful wedding cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies