Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 02:19 PM

592 posts, read 414,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Is adding gratuitous messages to cakes a new religious right or something? Will the rest of us have to bite our lips and put up with it lest the baker whine about religious persecution?????
yup. That's what this law is about. We're going to put Jesus saves on every cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 02:20 PM

89,052 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
My religion says I don't need permission to drive.

Does this mean I am exempt from getting a driver's license?
That would have to be documented.

Here is a list of religions and denominations that prohibit same-sex marriage:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-gay-marriage/

Old 04-04-2015, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
yup. That's what this law is about. We're going to put Jesus saves on every cake.
Hey, it's you that said that adding gratuitous cake messages is the act of a good baker.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM

592 posts, read 414,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Hey, it's you that said that adding gratuitous cake messages is the act of a good baker.
Not exactly. I asked what if he did? What if he put Jesus saves on his cakes?

The guy makes wedding cakes. He doesn't make cakes to celebrate Satan. He doesn't make cakes to celebrate gay marriage. If you want to get a cake to celebrate your marriage, then go to a gay baker.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
You are assuming all gay couples would have a problem with that. I don't think that would be the case.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:58 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:

The guy makes wedding cakes. He doesn't make cakes to celebrate Satan. He doesn't make cakes to celebrate gay marriage. If you want to get a cake to celebrate your marriage, then go to a gay baker.
That's actually logical. Why didn't they think of that before and avoid all the controversy?

Last edited by finalmove; 04-04-2015 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-04-2015, 10:47 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That would have to be documented.

Here is a list of religions and denominations that prohibit same-sex marriage:
Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center
I am catholic and believe in god but that doesn't mean I follow the catholic religion blindly. I don't agree with many issues. Organized religion really is a cult if you blindly believe everything without question.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
See, you just can't stop. My position is the same as yours, the only difference is how we get there.
You get there by rationalizing the indefensible. I get their by opposing the indefensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep, Hobby lobby does not have to provide something that violates their religious beliefs, but they can not pick and choose who they do or do not provide it to. Just like bakers do not have to offer wedding cakes, but they can not pick and choose who they will provide them to if they do sell them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Scotus did not say that Hobby Lobby could provide BC for some and not others, they just said that they did not have to provide it, but they must do so across the board.

Bakers do not have to provide cakes, but if they do they must do so across the board.
Precisely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The reason they did not say that is because that is not the question they were answering.
So in other words, that decision doesn't speak to what we're talking about in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You sound like the typical "salad-bar" Christian pick what you like,reject what you don't
I have never met a Christian that was not. Christianity is so ancient and archaic, and has so many internal inconsistencies, that no reasonable person could abide by it literally.

Quote:
We're going to put Jesus saves on every cake.
That would be fair. And if that drives you out of business, that would be fair as well. The point is that your beliefs should affect yourself; they shouldn't be used as childish insults to be inflicted on the people you don't like.

Last edited by bUU; 04-05-2015 at 03:51 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Don't be sorry. Just admit the truth. The First Amendment defends bigotry, not hatred. It does not allow you to impose your personal religious perspective on others.
You've been shown more than once that isn't true. Being that you are so willing to ignore that, there is no reason to continue. KKK speech is hate speech and it is protected.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
What I've been shown is that I cannot get those who support hate to understand my comments worded that way, with the definitions of the words I was using. So I'll be trying to a different approach. I'll call bigotry "hateful attitudes" because that's the way bigots use the word, and I'll call hate "hateful actions". We'll see if that helps those who advocate hateful attitudes and hateful actions to understand my comments better, or instead perhaps they'll simply find some other way to rationalize the corrupt intentions they are trying to defend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies