Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 12:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
People have been fined for opposing gay marriage? Sorry, I don't believe you.
Sweet Cakes by Melissa in Oregon, fined $150k for opposing gay marriage by refusing to bake a wedding cake for one.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
I'm willing to bet, that a good percentage of Americans would be for businesses saying no to gay weddings. I also believe, the way the media reported on this from the start, was not honest. They framed it as if businesses would have a right to kick customers out for being gay.

I bet if you asked most people, they still believe that. The news media has not cared about truth and informing the public honestly, in a long time. They report on stories in a way to drum up outrage based on the medias own bias. Its exactly what happened here. Someone I spoke to today was under the impression the Indiana law would let businesses say no gays in my shop. And that's the exact thing the media wanted people to think.

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Which person in the story bashed or hated gays? The O'Connors said they serve everyone, but would not PARTICIPATE in something against their beliefs. There are tons of activities I would never participate in for tons of different reasons, but that does not mean I hate those activities or the practitioners/participants thereof.
How is delivering a pizza to a party "participating"? There was no suggestion that they deliver pizza during a gay wedding ceremony or participate in a gay wedding ceremony - the owner said they wouldn't deliver pizza to a party afterwards. Are they going to ask everyone the purpose of their order? Are you celebrating a divorce? Are you celebrating the birth of a child out of wedlock?

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Which person in the story bashed or hated gays? The O'Connors said they serve everyone, but would not PARTICIPATE in something against their beliefs. There are tons of activities I would never participate in for tons of different reasons, but that does not mean I hate those activities or the practitioners/participants thereof.

I would never "participate" in a political convention, even the Libertarian Party, on the basis that I find political pep rallies a waste of a rational person's time. But I do not hate people that do attend political conventions.

I would never "participate" in a Justin Beiber performance because I find him to be pinnacle of pop music banality, but I do not hate him or anyone else involved with his performances.

I would never "participate" in a gay wedding because a) I am Catholic and it indeed goes against my beliefs and b) because after all this, even if I was an atheist, Satanist or Grand Poobah of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I'd refuse to participate in a gay wedding simply to be contrary to a totalitarian mob who wants to force my associations according their whim. But I don't hate gay people, not even a little. Two of my wife's best friends are a married lesbian couple, and we all get along just fine.

One can oppose or refuse to participate in a thing without hating a thing or those involved with that thing. Only in these occasions where the thugs are out trolling for victims and villains are all things reduced to such binary choises of "either support me fully, or be cast as villain and exiled from the village"
This is about business, not any of those things you mentioned. It doesn't matter how you spin it, when opening a business to the public, you can't discriminate. End of story. No need for elaborate philosophical explanations.

The road in front of a business, the sidewalk, public transportation, fire, police, courts, etc., etc., paid for by taxing all of us. All of us deserve to be accommodated. This should ring true to rightwingers: Gays pay taxes. That's THEIR money. They deserve to be treated equally.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:40 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then they should have said that they do not cater any weddings.
That wasn't the question that the man was asked.

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
no. they should have said what they said and it should not have been news. they should not have been attacked and they should be open for business today.

the real biggotry is the biggotry of "say what your told" and it aint coming from Memories Pizza. it isnt comeing from those who think like the people at Memories Pizza
So you think that they can say what they want, and everyone else has to not say anything about it?

Seriously?

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I'm willing to bet, that a good percentage of Americans would be for businesses saying no to gay weddings. I also believe, the way the media reported on this from the start, was not honest. They framed it as if businesses would have a right to kick customers out for being gay.

I bet if you asked most people, they still believe that. The news media has not cared about truth and informing the public honestly, in a long time. They report on stories in a way to drum up outrage based on the medias own bias. Its exactly what happened here. Someone I spoke to today was under the impression the Indiana law would let businesses say no gays in my shop. And that's the exact thing the media wanted people to think.

thats what youve said you support.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:

I would never "participate" in a political convention, even the Libertarian Party, on the basis that I find political pep rallies a waste of a rational person's time. But I do not hate people that do attend political conventions.

I would never "participate" in a Justin Beiber performance because I find him to be pinnacle of pop music banality, but I do not hate him or anyone else involved with his performances.

I would never "participate" in a gay wedding because a) I am Catholic and it indeed goes against my beliefs and b) because after all this, even if I was an atheist, Satanist or Grand Poobah of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I'd refuse to participate in a gay wedding simply to be contrary to a totalitarian mob who wants to force my associations according their whim. But I don't hate gay people, not even a little. Two of my wife's best friends are a married lesbian couple, and we all get along just fine.

One can oppose or refuse to participate in a thing without hating a thing or those involved with that thing. Only in these occasions where the thugs are out trolling for victims and villains are all things reduced to such binary choises of "either support me fully, or be cast as villain and exiled from the village"
I would suggest if baking ans selling pizza is against their beliefs then they should find a new line of work.

9,139 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Person "A" orders 20 pizzas for a wedding.

Person "B" orders 20 pizzas for a wedding.

Person "A" is sold the pizza, but person "B" isn't.

Same event (wedding) the only difference is who is purchasing the pizza.

Except that nobody ordered those pizzas and nobody was refused service.

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Of course you have the right to refuse participation in any wedding. But what does that have to do with commercial transactions such as selling cakes and arranging flowers and providing meals?
Can you read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies