Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It isn't there choice if their employer runs a failed business. That fictional gym had 227 members, that clearly wasn't enough.
It's not a failed business until you made it fail by arbitrarily increasing their labor cost. Can we at least agree to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's not a failed business until you made it fail by arbitrarily increasing their labor cost. Can we at least agree to that?
Based on their membership numbers, they only reason why they were able to stay afloat was by paying their employees the minimum they could afford to pay them. Though even just doubling their membership numbers would have easily covered the cost of a minimum wage increase. We shouldn't be coddling businesses that are unable to succeed.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 PM

I just had a conversation over dinner with my friends. One of them runs a small book shop which employed about 10 people with half of them being temporary workers. I asked her what would happen if the minimum wage goes to $15. She said flat out she would have to close the store because she would not be able to make a profit.

I told her not to vote for Hillary. She said she voted for Obama in 2008 and won't make the same mistake again.

That's not fictional. It's the real life, but like you said, urbalife78, to hell with them, the small business owners and their employees, they can all go eat dirty.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I just had a conversation over dinner with my friends. One of them runs a small book shop which employed about 10 people with half of them being temporary workers. I asked her what would happen if the minimum wage goes to $15. She said flat out she would have to close the store because she would not be able to make a profit.

That's not fictional. It's the real life, but like you said, urbalife78, to hell with them, the small business owners and their employees, they can all go eat dirty.
Businesses die every day, sounds like your friend is running a poorly profiting business. How are they able to afford paying their employees as much as they do now? Heck, bookstores have been closing left and right thanks to technology, should we deny people from being able to buy ebooks and companies like Amazon?

You should tell your friend Amazon is building a new headquarters complex in Seattle and is hiring, probably pay better than the bookshop they own.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Based on their membership numbers, they only reason why they were able to stay afloat was by paying their employees the minimum they could afford to pay them. Though even just doubling their membership numbers would have easily covered the cost of a minimum wage increase. We shouldn't be coddling businesses that are unable to succeed.

1. Have you thought about the fact that if they could double the membership so easily, they would have done that already? Wow, they were so holy that they would leave so much profit on the table and refuse to double their membership. Do you even have the slightest idea how to run a business? One of my good friends is running a gym. It is a LOT of work to get clients. It costs money, people and time.

2. You also need to understand most businesses exist just to survive not to become Walmart, Apple or Microsoft. It's just a way to make a living. The small business owners don't often take in millions, and many just make enough to get by.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Businesses die every day, sounds like your friend is running a poorly profiting business. How are they able to afford paying their employees as much as they do now? Heck, bookstores have been closing left and right thanks to technology, should we deny people from being able to buy ebooks and companies like Amazon?

You should tell your friend Amazon is building a new headquarters complex in Seattle and is hiring, probably pay better than the bookshop they own.
They are perfectly fine until the government raises their labor cost arbitrarily!

What's your background? I feel like I am talking to a 3 years old. Hell, even my 3 old niece understands this perfectly well!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
1. Have you thought about the fact that if they could double the membership so easily, they would have done that already? Wow, they were so holy that they would leave so much profit on the table and refuse to double their membership. Do you even have the slightest idea how to run a business? One of my good friends is running a gym. It is a LOT of work to get clients. It costs money, people and time.

2. You also need to understand most businesses exist just to survive not to become Walmart, Apple or Microsoft. It's just a way to make a living. The small business owners don't often take in millions, and many just make enough to get by.
227 is a very low membership number for any gym. This is a fictional gym, maybe it is poorly run or a bad location. Who knows, either way, without members at a gym, you have no business. Those employees will just find a more successful fictional gym to work at. Well if you know someone who runs a gym, give them a call and ask that person how many members they have, I would be curious to know.

Well I am well aware that we are all in the business to make a living, you must also be aware that business fail all the time, we shouldn't be coddling failing businesses just so they can continue to run poorly.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
They are perfectly fine until the government raises their labor cost arbitrarily!

What's your background? I feel like I am talking to a 3 years old. Hell, even my 3 old niece understands this perfectly well!
It doesn't sound like it, it sounds like they are a struggling bookstore, which makes sense in this digital age. Do you have any idea how many bookstores have closed in the past decade?

Maybe you should send your bookstore friend this link.
12 Stats on the State of Bookstores in the U.S.

Does your 3 year old understand that businesses fail all the time? That is quite a smart child you have there, maybe you should start listening to it. What is your background? Not sure why you need to ask that, this thread isn't about me.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
It doesn't sound like it, it sounds like they are a struggling bookstore, which makes sense in this digital age. Do you have any idea how many bookstores have closed in the past decade?

Maybe you should send your bookstore friend this link.
12 Stats on the State of Bookstores in the U.S.

Does your 3 year old understand that businesses fail all the time? That is quite a smart child you have there, maybe you should start listening to it. What is your background? Not sure why you need to ask that, this thread isn't about me.
My 3 year old understands that the business only fails after you raise their labor cost. She understands the first time I said but you still don't understand.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
My 3 year old understands that the business only fails after you raise their labor cost. She understands the first time I said but you still don't understand.
That is the only reason a business fails? Guess your 3 year old doesn't know much about the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies