Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Workers with an existing relative advantage over others don't want a wage increase if it means they lose their existing advantage over their inferiors. Wage variance not only signals workers and employers, it signals our peers. Humans are hierarchical social animals, and you don't want your peers all earning as much as you do.
Nobody said their wage shouldn't increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We live in the greatest / richest country in the world and we find it so hard to give our poor people some extra money so they don't have to live in poverty?
I've stated my support many times for programs that assist the poorer segment of society. What I do not support is programs that will only hurt in the long run. A job making $8 an hour beats no job at $15 an hour everyday.

Quote:
I don't think ditch diggers are making less than $15 an hour.
Yes they do. The workers at many city maintenance crews aren't making $15 an hour. I'm sure they do in NYC but NYC is NYC and not representative of the vast majority of the country.

As a generalization the average maintenance worker is making just over $15 an hour. That is the average which would take into consideration the places like NYC.

General Maintenance Worker I Salary | Salary.com

It's impossible to micromanage the economy in this way. Low paying entry level jobs are that way for a reason.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Workers might then be able to afford the exorbitant rents which prevail these days.
wrong, you constantly forget about the ripple effect. one group of workers get a substantial increase in their wages, then other workers get the same, and as a result price across the board have to go up, which means rents will go up as well, and when all is said and done, you are right back where you were before the increase, just getting a bigger paycheck, and spending a greater percentage of that pay check to pay for the necessities of life.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
What's to stop homeowners from zoning out the poor?

What's to stop homeowners from using zoning to inflate their property values?
Nothing. San Francisco has done that for decades.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Min wage is an economic rate that is set by government based on economics formula.
Federal min wage can not impose on State Min Wage since some states will have business fail because of $15 min wage.

With that I oppose for fed to mess with min wage like that.

Any person can get more training and get a better job. In the area I live in, one needs to see at least 1k a week after taxes to get by as a fully functioning adult.

There are places with lower cost of living where one do well on $600 a week. Just compare area where an average home costs 500k to a place where it costs 70k.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
sorry but there are no laws that support any of this, this is a free country....
I wish you were correct. In a free country, there would be no government wage regulation.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
We live in the greatest / richest country in the world and we find it so hard to give our poor people some extra money so they don't have to live in poverty?
No, we don't find it hard to give our poor people some extra money. It's not hard at all. That's why millions of us give our OWN money to the disadvantaged. That's why millions of us prefer not to steal money from hard working people and give it to others. That's why millions of us have empathy for the disadvantaged and give to charity.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
What's to stop homeowners from zoning out the poor?

What's to stop homeowners from using zoning to inflate their property values?
Nothing. And there is nothing wrong with either.

If you don't like the HOA, don't move there. It really is that simple.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
poor people some extra money so they don't have to live in poverty?

but what is poverty?, its what the government tell you it is. so what is livable wage? Its what the government tell you it is. So what is minimum wage? it what the government tell you it is.

see a pattern here......... raise the minimum wages, get 100% of their votes so you can do anything you want and also double the income tax, tax money coming in.

poor people are not poor till the government tell you they are poor

Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

these fast food workers of today.....incompetent slugs............... yes I said ...incompetence......

MHO
but they deserve $15 a hour, properly more than you make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies