Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 01:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddy View Post
Making money is easy. Carrying all that cash around is the hard part, I get a good workout from it however.
The rich don't carry lots of cash around.

Seriously, you're trying too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 03:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So some billionaires family is more important that yours? You are on a sinking ship and two seats left on a lifeboat , who deserves the seats more? you and a family member or a billionaire and a family member?
You bring up an interesting perspective. I would answer your question with a follow up question:

Are the seats on the lifeboat for sale?

If they are for sale, than obviously the billionaire is going to get out alive and the guy who doesn't have enough money is going to go down with the ship. On the otherhand, if the seats aren't for sale, than it will come down to that ancient old struggle for survival that humans, and all other life forms for that matter, have been fighting since their inception. whoever can over power the other will get the seat on the lifeboat and be the one to survive.

Either way, the strongest, more powerful, more ambitious, and more driven life form will pull ahead and get the seat on the boat, and ultimately survive. This struggle between the strong and the weak has been going on for an eternity. It's the natural order of things, and nature isn't always fair I'm sad to say. This new idea that we need to compensate for those who aren't strong enough to do for themselves goes directly against the natural order of things.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
This makes no sense at all. Companies only have a certain amount of higher postions who has heard of a company having 50 managers?
Yeah, exactly. That's what I mean when I say a company only has a finite amount of success and prosperity to offer.

If your idea of success is being a shift manager at McDonalds, then get an entry level postion, work hard, and you can more than likely reach your goal one day.

However, if your idea of success is being a Partner at a big law firm, working hard flipping burgers is only going to get you so close to that goal and then your going to have to march ahead on your own to make it happen.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe this was once true but not anymore. There are too many people who work hard and are vying for the same job and opportunities.
All the more reason to work harder and make yourself stand out from the crowd. Ultimately, the strongest, most qualified candidate will move up.
Quote:
But who does he think made him a billionaire.... lol us, the little people
Yeah, he didn't have a hand in his own success at all did he?

There are two kinds of people in this world; Those at the top, and those at the bottom. Most start out at the bottom and have to work to climb to the top. But it's interesting to note that without any bottom, there would be no top, by definition. Without any top, there be nowhere for those at the bottom to go. What Liberals are seemingly trying to do is eliminate the bottom, by chipping away at the top and giving it to the bottom in order to get the bottom closer to the top. But it doesn't work. When the government tries to make people richer, they only make everyone poorer.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Local purchasing power in Houston is 22% higher than in Sydney.

Minimum wage and the cost of living are entwined.

Does it matter if Minimum Wage is $15/ hr if it buys what $7.25 did?
Exactly. This is what the higher min. wage proponents don't seem to get. Yeah, if the wage is raised, they'll have more money, but their money will end up being worth less because of inflation, and they'll be right back where they started. The people who'll really suffer, are those who are already making 15/ph right now.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Fact: NO ONE will tell you the REAL secret of their success. NO ONE. If they really care about the poor, tell them exactly which stock to buy, how much, and when?

Lend them the money to buy the stocks they buy, how about that for a change?

The poor probably need a few lessons in home economics and maths rather than in morals.

Many of my childhood friends married rich guys, simple as that. My older sister's best friend married a 72 year old when she was 31. I can never do that, I cannot picture an old dude naked. she could do it, good for her.
See, here's the problem....... The common theme in all the suggestions and sentences of yours that I hilighted all involve someone else who has made it to the top, doing the work FOR those people who haven't. Truth is, no one owes you their secret to success. You have to do the work for yourself. Many people don't want to, they want someone else to do it for them, and so they'll never be successful.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:45 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
Successful people are either more intelligent or more driven, and often both. It's disingenuous to blame poor people for their failings when, more often than not, they simply lack the brain power to advance in life.

And anyway, monetary success is hierarchical. Everyone can't be at the top.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:58 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
LOL - you'd be quite surprised at the number of millionaires that drive older, well-maintained cars, wear blue jeans, go to garage sales, have houses in a couple of different states, eat at Applebees on a Friday night.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
See, here's the problem....... The common theme in all the suggestions and sentences of yours that I hilighted all involve someone else who has made it to the top, doing the work FOR those people who haven't. Truth is, no one owes you their secret to success. You have to do the work for yourself. Many people don't want to, they want someone else to do it for them, and so they'll never be successful.
No, you have missed my point.

My point is that these billionaires have NOT offered real secrets because they SHOULD not and WILL not.

For example, I will NEVER tell others what I sell in my store, where I bought them from. I don't want competitors. Therefore, I will never accuse of others "hey, why are you not successful? All you have to do is work harder or think outside the box in order to be successful." That is stupid advice.

My grandpa was a self made millionaire, he left us money and advice. One advice he gave us is "Never trust anybody in the business field, never sign any documents without reading them first." "Never get married without prenup" "always keep Gold in your investment portfolio" etc, etc, etc, etc. To me, those are solid advice, "you need to work hard" is not LOL

Everyone is responsible for their own fate or success.

One should not expect others to tell you all their secrets.

One should not tolerate others to put you down either.

Leave each other alone. Judging is stupid.

If a 31 year old woman who married a 73 year old billionaire defined success as money, who am i to judge her and tell her she is a gold digger and not successful. she is not complaining.

If a burger flipper is happy with what he has, who are YOU to accuse him for not being successful? Happiness is success to me.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-26-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Exactly. This is what the higher min. wage proponents don't seem to get. Yeah, if the wage is raised, they'll have more money, but their money will end up being worth less because of inflation, and they'll be right back where they started. The people who'll really suffer, are those who are already making 15/ph right now.

So high wage earners cause inflation?

Jesus Christ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies