Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
So now you're an expert on millionaires? Such insight must be a gift just like all the "other people's money" you want to suck up. Interesting that the least informed always set their own standards for proving they are right. I haven't seen you be right one time since I started reading this forum.
Well, he is from Arizona...you'll have to forgive him....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Relax, Frances. No one is trying to trick you into working. Go back to playing video games.
Why? i don't like playing video games.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Even better. Then I'd be the perfect Republican.

Yea, that makes NO sense to what you were responding to....

But carry on leftist...

Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"Going through life white, male, middle-class and American is like playing a video game on easy mode."
No its not, enough with the backwards labeling please.

A smart hard working person of any race/gender/class/nationality has it pretty good in life.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you claiming people at McDonalds dont work hard...because that is the only way your quote plays into you attacking them.
Of course that is not the only way his quote plays

The two quotes were:

Quote:
The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that successful people do all the things unsuccessful people don't want to do.

Most people don't want to work more than they have to. They do the minimum they are paid to do. That's not the way to get ahead. Always do the best you can, not the least you can get away with
Quote:
Are you paying attention, McDonalds workers who are complaining you don't get paid $15 per hour?
The OP's point, and I think a correct one, is that the McDonald's workers who are committed to their jobs, do more than other workers, go beyond their minimum expectations will get ahead and get to that $15 an hour and more level.

The ones complaining are not the ones going the extra mile, they are the ones expecting to be given something.

In most of the cases these McDonalds, Taco Bell and Walmart protests aren't even real, they are astroturf roots, not grassroots. They are paid SEIU protesters and ironically...... NOT being paid $15 an hour to protest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Unless I were a millionaire or billionaire (and none of you are), I wouldn't be trumpeting the words of some rich guy pooping all over low income workers. After all..why aren't YOU rich if you have all the answers?
I am positive there are quite a few millionaires in these forums and I wouldn't be surprised at a billionaire or two.

I am not sure what words of John Paul Jones DeJoria you thought were unfair to working people, but it is obvious you know nothing about him, where he came from and how he became successful.

I'd also say, again, you have no idea of what anyone on here has for a net worth. Maybe you should pay more attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Interesting--some billionaires worked harder than others to get where they were...
Most of those links referred to the same website, the activist anti-capitalist group, the Institute for Policy Studies. There is nothing scientific or objective in how they classify what leg up someone had. It is inconsistent and self serving.

How does one family buy a hamburger stand and 50 years later still has a hamburger stand while another has 36,000 locations across the globe and serves 70 million people a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Look at the top. 7 out of 10 inherited, or had significant help from the start. Its all in how you define it. 39 million to start? you're self made! uh huh.
Yes, it is all in how you define it. Not everyone who inherits a $39 million company has the ability to turn that into a billion dollars or more. Many people who have inherited the $39 million have driven it into the ground.

The Forbes index says 7 out of 10 were self made billionaires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well there are a lot of things others don't want to do, that doesn't mean it leads to success. Would you shovel manure?
A lot of rich people have shoveled manure in their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So if McDonalds workers worked harder they would for sure get a raise or move up? That is not how the real works seems you are not living in reality
Not sure which reality you are living in, but yes, McDonalds workers who work harder, go above and beyond in their jobs and exceed expectations, are the ones who get raises and promotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, you have missed my point. My point is that these billionaires have NOT offered real secrets because they SHOULD not and WILL not.
I beg to differ. Warren Buffet has written several books on precisely what he does and how he does it. There is no secret there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If a burger flipper is happy with what he has, who are YOU to accuse him for not being successful? Happiness is success to me.
The OPs point was about McDonalds workers who were complaining, not ones who were happy.

The extended point was that no one protests their way to success.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No its not, enough with the backwards labeling please.

A smart hard working person of any race/gender/class/nationality has it pretty good in life.
It's not a level playing field. Do you really think so? Do you really think that the chances of success are only individually determined? That a person born to an affluent family who receives a top notch education and has access to the social network of powerful people who can help with job success is on the same playing field as a person born in the inner city who is forced to go to a school that has an 80 % graduation rate, lives in a crime-infested neighborhood, never plays golf or socializes with people in positions of power---you really think everyone has equal opportunity in the U.S.?

We don't all start out with the equal advantages. And it is more difficult to better one's socio-economic status in the U.S. than it is in many other first-world countries.

And that's not just my opinion. The research bears that out. It is far more difficult for poor people to succeed in the U.S. than it is in Canada or some other nations. There are far more barriers to rising through the socio-economic ranks in the U.S., which is a highly unequal , class-conscious, racist and sexist country, than in countries like Sweden.

You can blame lack of success on individuals. But why is it that on average a poor person in Canada can manage to maybe rise to lower middle-class more often than in the U.S.? Canadian poor people are smarter or work harder than American poor people? No, it's because there's a better public education system, better more equal health care, cheaper university education, more government assistance for immigrants, less discrimination---things that benefit entire groups, allowing them to succeed.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

The Forbes index says 7 out of 10 were self made billionaires.

The OPs point was about McDonalds workers who were complaining, not ones who were happy.

The extended point was that no one protests their way to success.
But when you look at those billionaires' life histories they rarely started out dis-advantaged.

Mark Zuckerberg is viewed as a self-made billionaire but his father hired a professional programmer to tutor his son in programming at an early age, he went to a top-level private high school, and onwards to an elite ivy league education. His parents are both wealthy professionals. Self-made? Maybe. But with a heck of a lot of advantages along the way.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But when you look at those billionaires' life histories they rarely started out dis-advantaged.

Mark Zuckerberg is viewed as a self-made billionaire but his father hired a professional programmer to tutor his son in programming at an early age, he went to a top-level private high school, and onwards to an elite ivy league education. His parents are both wealthy professionals. Self-made? Maybe. But with a heck of a lot of advantages along the way.
He was also taking graduate courses at 12....

Quote:
To keep up with Mark's burgeoning interest in computers, his parents hired private computer tutor David Newman to come to the house once a week and work with Mark. Newman later told reporters that it was hard to stay ahead of the prodigy, who began taking graduate courses at nearby Mercy College around this same time.
http://www.biography.com/people/mark-zuckerberg-507402

And while we are at it...his dad was a dentist...I wonder how he started?

Or are you saying that you should not take what your parents give you?

Old 04-26-2015, 04:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what things are that? Seems like a very vague statement to make.
Not really.

Do and be your best at every opportunity and you will do great. Don't accept "acceptable." Go the extra mile. Push yourself.

Worked for all the millionaires I know (and I know MANY, including myself).

Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not really.

Do and be your best at every opportunity and you will do great. Don't accept "acceptable." Go the extra mile. Push yourself.

Worked for all the millionaires I know (and I know MANY, including myself).
Ah, so you are a millionaire? Aren't we all on city-data. Going "the extra mile" and pushing yourself doesn't always mean you are going to be successful, nor does it mean you will be a millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies