Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Where did you get that stat from ?

anyways, people in low income neighborhoods dont have messy yards and junk because they are lazy. Its because getting rid of those things and paying a gardener are extra cost poor people dont have money to pay for.
Yes, it is often laziness. It takes effort and discipline to keep the yard nice but the payoff is well worth it to those who care enough. People actually *gasp* do their own gardening. Hauling away crap in your front yard is as easy as taking it to the curb. Easy, peasy. Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What a worthless opinion.

Look, rich people opining how they are superior to other people is boring and wrong.

This is one of the aspects of conservative ideological thought I find the most disturbing.

The idea that human beings basically get what they deserve(lie) and that rich people get more because they are better than poor people based on some unspecified set of character traits(another lie).

This kind of thinking is childish and blinds the vast majority of conservatives from reality.
Why is it so hard for some people to accept the fact that there are people in this world who are superior to others? Not everyone is "equal".... try as you might to argue that they should be. Not that being a millionaire makes you a superior person. There are plenty of people with money who are decidedly inferior.

But quit pretending that superiority doesn't exist. Do you honestly think you are equal to say, Alert Einstein? Stephen Hawking? Charles Darwin?

No, these people are superior, period. I know I sure as hell am inferior to them.

Pretending that everyone is equal is not only dangerous, but also is what blinds Liberals from reality.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So what have we learned from this thread so far? If you are not a million or billionaire you aren't motivated enough, not smart enough, aren't good enough, and don't have the love and worship of money you should have. It doesn't matter who or what you do in life, you are judged and remembered by how much money you have or had.

The meaning of life is the quest for money.

Kneal down and pray to your god --> $. If I have more $ than you do then I am better than you and you are just a lazy bum expecting me to hold your hand.
It's no wonder that this country is in the shape it's in, when there are people who so completely miss the point.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
The difference between successful and unsuccessful people is luck. That's right, luck. It is NOT hard work.
Wow.... what a farce. I'm not going to say that luck plays NO rule, but it's certainly not a deciding factor. By your logic, there is absolutely no reason or incentive to work hard and stand out. We may as well all just lay around on the couch all day and just hope we get a stroke of "luck"..... Perhaps not so coincidentally, I just described a large portion of the Liberal voting block.....

Why work hard? Why try to achieve if none of that plays any role in success? Think about it?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
If you're not a millionaire and voting republican it must be because of gun rights, (which I'm for too, but my wallet comes first),.
I won't give you the details of my life story, but you can trust me when I say that I'm nowhere near rich. I vote Republican. Why? I vote on Principle. I don't vote for the party that is going to give me the most, or make things the easiest for me, which apparently you do given your comments. I'm not a successful person, but that's MY problem. That is due to my own failures. My own shortcomings. I don't blame anyone for that but myself, and I sure as hell don't think I'm "owed" anything from anyone else. I don't think it's anyone else's job to create success for me. It's about self reliance. It's about taking personal responsibility. So, that's why I vote Republican.

What you, and other Democrat voters like you can't seem to see, is that you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. The Democrats only favor you so long as you stay poor and disadvantaged. All of their economic policies are aimed at the poor and disadvantaged. They trick the poor and disadvantaged in to thinking they are helping them when in reality, it's these same policies that will keep the less fortunate in a perpetual state of poverty. If you do ever become successful and accumulate any wealth, you'll become their enemy. Their target. Suddenly your success will be on the chopping block. How dare you have the audacity to be successful when there are people in this world who are less successful? It will then be your wealth that the Left aims to "redistribute".... THEN how will Democrat policies be benefitting you?

It's so plain to see, yet some people choose to be so blind.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-28-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
No they shouldn't.
But it's also true that some of the hardest working people are the poor. To
say that they don't work hard is a fallacy.
I agree but we've already established that hard work doesn't necessarily =/= success. If you cleaned toilets all day, that's hard work, but so what? How knowledgeable do you have to be to move a brush up and down for 8 hours? What skillset do you have to learn to do that? In fact just about anyone could do it, so why should we pay them more to do a job that anyone could do?
Quote:
And many jobs that nobody wants to do are done by the poor, so one can't say
they don't want to do things that successful people did.
So what else are they doing? Are they going to school at night? Are they enrolled in a trade school? Are they even looking for a better job, or are they content to just scrub toilets all day and hope that success falls in their lap?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I agree but we've already established that hard work doesn't necessarily =/= success. If you cleaned toilets all day, that's hard work, but so what? How knowledgeable do you have to be to move a brush up and down for 8 hours? What skillset do you have to learn to do that? In fact just about anyone could do it, so why should we pay them more to do a job that anyone could do?
Hard work certainly does not equal success. But it's also true that success does not always equal hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So what else are they doing? Are they going to school at night? Are they enrolled in a trade school? Are they even looking for a better job, or are they content to just scrub toilets all day and hope that success falls in their lap?
Are there many successful people who are going to school at night?

Are there many successful people who who are enrolled in trade school?

I don't know what the point of this thread is anymore; because I thought it is supposed to be that successful people do things that unsuccessful people don't want to do. But then you throw out things that most successful people do not do, but you think the unsuccessful people should.

Maybe your point really should be:

If you are unsuccessful and are stuck in a rut, you should do everything you can get to out from the rut. Same does not apply to successful people.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Are there many successful people who are going to school at night?

Are there many successful people who who are enrolled in trade school?

I don't know what the point of this thread is anymore; because I thought it
is supposed to be that successful people do things that unsuccessful people
don't want to do. But then you throw out things that most successful people do
not do, but you think the unsuccessful people should.
Why would an already successful person be going to night school or trade school? They already did. How do you think they became successful? The Billionaire isn't saying that people who are already successful still do all the things that unsuccessful won't, he's saying that doing those things is what will help people eventually find success, whereas the people who don't do them are less likely to ever find success.

If you have two McDonalds employees, one works eight hours, punches the clock then goes home..... the other clocks out and then goes to night school for another 4-6 hours, which do you think is more likely to find success at some point?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
For the purposes of this thread, lets say "successful" equals well off financially and the success the person is talking about is being wealthy or rich.

Here's my take.

The difference between successful and unsuccessful is random luck and in no way means the successful person is better or smarter or more hard working.

For the millions of people who have gotten somewhat rich or really rich, there are tens of millions more who are smart, hungry and have a great work ethic, but you know what separates those people from the ones who 'made it'?

Luck.

l.
Luck is part of anything, really.
But I don't know one single person from middle school, high school, college, grad school, life today, etc...who didn't do well when they busted their ass. Not one single person EXCEPT some folks who opened a restaurant. That folded, but they busted their ass the whole time.

I know doctors, lawyers, finance people, various kinds of business owners (these tend to be really something else), etc.

Maybe the problem is the definition of success. All these guys are VERY comfortable if not outright rich as heck. And I know them. I have seen how they work. And I know the guys who are my friends who do fair to middlin'. And I see how they work. I have seen it all my life. It's not freakin' rocket science. You can pretty much predict early on how people will do.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 AM

259 posts, read 178,919 times
Why people expect others to simply take their stories about their wealth, status, and life stories at face value is baffling, especially when it is done with a clear political agenda. Don't b**ch at others for treating your "How I become a f**king awesome millionaire while I preen about it anonymously online" stories with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies