Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Nice try kiddo, have fun playing with yourself with this strawman argument you have tangled yourself up in.
Run away then, you rode your parents money to be successful....just admit it...

Or go to therapist and talk about...

psst....straw man is 2 words....not one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what things are that? Seems like a very vague statement to make.
What things are they? I think what the OP posted covers a lot of ground.
  1. Don't be the first one at the door, or worse, waiting at the door, when it's 5:00.
  2. Look for things to do when you're not that busy.
  3. Always be as thorough and accurate as you can be. This gets noticed.
  4. Do more than the minimum required of you.
  5. Be willing to work overtime when necessary.
  6. Get to work early, rather than late. At least be on time.
  7. Don't take "sick days" unless you are really sick.
  8. If you are in a position where you have to "interface" (the word we used to use) with other departments, nurture those relationship. They will think well of you if you build rapport. It may be a stepping stone to a promotion. People notice. It will get back to your boss.
  9. Never burn any bridges. Even if you don't like your boss, never talk behind his back, and don't become involved with someone who does.
  10. If you can think of a better way to do something, develop the idea and present it to your boss.
  11. Always learn as much as you can, not only about your job, but about the business your company is in. Things like that get noticed. You have to appear interested in the business.
  12. Sharpen your communication skills. This is important for success.
There are many, many other things, but this is a start.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What things are they? I think what the OP posted covers a lot of ground.
  1. Don't be the first one at the door, or worse, waiting at the door, when it's 5:00.
  2. Look for things to do when you're not that busy.
  3. Always be as thorough and accurate as you can be. This gets noticed.
  4. Do more than the minimum required of you.
  5. Be willing to work overtime when necessary.
  6. Get to work early, rather than late. At least be on time.
  7. Don't take "sick days" unless you are really sick.
  8. If you are in a position where you have to "interface" (the word we used to use) with other departments, nurture those relationship. They will think well of you if you build rapport. It may be a stepping stone to a promotion. People notice. It will get back to your boss.
  9. Never burn any bridges. Even if you don't like your boss, never talk behind his back, and don't become involved with someone who does.
  10. If you can think of a better way to do something, develop the idea and present it to your boss.
  11. Always learn as much as you can, not only about your job, but about the business your company is in. Things like that get noticed. You have to appear interested in the business.
  12. Sharpen your communication skills. This is important for success.
There are many, many other things, but this is a start.
You are assuming that he went through these things...he rode his parents money....he has no clue what you speak of.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why is it so hard for some people to accept the fact that there are people in this world who are superior to others? Not everyone is "equal".... try as you might to argue that they should be. Not that being a millionaire makes you a superior person. There are plenty of people with money who are decidedly inferior.

But quit pretending that superiority doesn't exist. Do you honestly think you are equal to say, Alert Einstein? Stephen Hawking? Charles Darwin?

No, these people are superior, period. I know I sure as hell am inferior to them.

Pretending that everyone is equal is not only dangerous, but also is what blinds Liberals from reality.
We are all equal in our humanity.

Everybody has a mixture of strengths and weaknesses, skills and deficits.

Intellectual skill is generally valued and sometimes helps with professional success, but there is no doubt that there are highly intelligent individuals who through the bad luck of where they are born are never given the opportunity to develop and benefit from their intelligence.

Some people start life further ahead than others. Others start way behind the start line. We need to do all we can to assist those who through no fault of their own are born disadvantaged.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is what you quoted:
The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is
that successful people do all the things unsuccessful people don't want
to
do.
Are you saying that your quote doesn't apply once a person is successful?
I'm saying that the fact that some people are willing to do things that others aren't willing to do is why they will become successful in the long run, and the fact that many others won't do some of these things is why they will never find success. That's quite simple to understand.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
I'm saying that the fact that some people are willing to do things that others aren't willing to do is why they will become successful in the long run, and the fact that many others won't do some of these things is why they will never find success. That's quite simple to understand.
That WASN'T the question.

THIS is the question:

Quote:
Why would an already successful person be going to night school or trade school? They already did. How do you think they became successful? The Billionaire isn't saying that people who are already successful still do all the things that unsuccessful won't, he's saying that doing those things is what will help people eventually find success, whereas the people who don't do them are less likely to ever find success.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:33 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That WASN'T the question.

THIS is the question:

I'm saying that doing all the things that most people don't want to do will improve your chances of attaining success.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
Things other people don't want to do.
Things other people cannot do.
Things other people have not thought of doing.

All make more money than doing something anyone can do, or is willing to do, or is already being done by lots of people.

The more specialized, unusual, or unique your labors are, the more likely they are to be highly rewarded.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
I used to wait tables at an Italian restaurant for a living. Within six months of starting my job there, I was making more money than anyone else, including those who had been working there for 5+ years. Why? I would take any shift that was offered to me. I would do all of my work without complaining, then look for more things to do to get the restaurant in tip-top shape. I would volunteer to take "difficult" tables when others didn't want them. In no time, I was promoted to the "head waitress" position, got more hours and was the most requested server out of all of our regulars. On top of dominating everyone in tips, I also made $5.50 an hour, as opposed to their $2.13 an hour.

When I moved to another town with my now-husband, I started working in a convenience store. I got a raise within the first month, even though I was originally told it would be at least six months before I was evaluated for a raise. I got more hours than any other employee. That's because I worked harder than anyone else and took more shifts than anyone else.

When I started my ghostwriting career, I became something of a "legend" among others in the industry because I worked/work so hard to succeed. I work for difficult clients. I pull all-nighters. I write articles about extremely boring topics. I earned $25k my first year working from home (I was still working my full-time convenience store job then), $48k my second, $55k my third, and $70k my fourth. I'm slated to hit six figures this year in an industry that is dominated by stay-at-home moms who are looking to make grocery money.

I'm not saying this to brag, of course. What is there to brag about when it comes to being the best waitress in a small-town restaurant? Plus, I'm certainly far from being a millionaire. However, working harder than everyone else DOES help you become more successful than everyone else, no matter what scale you might be on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies