Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up

Best way to deal with vicious vermin of any color. It's time the decent people of Baltimore took their city back from the savages.
The Nat'l Guard stated they don't have Marshal Law, but maybe they should.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I suspect that's what she meant. (I can't imagine anything else?) but she used the word "destroy". That was more than unfortunate words, it was blatant stupidity. I'm not sure this wouldn't have happened anyway, it probably would. But that is beyond a mistep. I am not one to recall every politician that screws up, but this lady is not qualified to run a city like Baltimore. That is the most epic F-up I've ever seen (only closely followed by the Governor seeing the riots and claiming they did not constitute a state of emergency
I'm googling for some sources on this and not having any luck. can you help me out?

Quote:
and willfully neglecting to call in the National Guard[/b]).
I have already observed posters telling you this but here it goes again: the governor has to wait for the mayor to request sending in the national guard.

Quote:
Hogan told a national television audience Monday that he had to wait for Rawlings-Blake to request a state of emergency before he could call in the National Guard. She made the request at 6:30 p.m., and the governor said he issued the order “less than 30 seconds” later.
A political test for a mayor

Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Could be, but FOX NEWS was reporting at 6PM that the Mayor was not reachable, and the Governor was contacted, and that he said that "the situation did not warrant a state of emergency". The excuse of "chain of command" was not used until after the fact. This, according to Fox News.

And the National Guard was NOT on standby. That was the problem. They should have been "ready to deploy", but they were not. If they were, they could have possibly contained this before nightfall.

This has been widely reported by ALL media (including Fox), the city and state were horribly unprepared for this, even though both had credible evidence that it was going to happen. They failed. All of them.
You were watching a different Fox news broadcast than I was.

The Guard had been notified to be on standby Sunday, as confirmed last night by General Singh, the Guard's commander.

The Mayor was somewhat incommunicado, a fact noted last night by the Governor during his press conference.

The "chain of command" is accurate in this case. To be polite, and politically correct, the Governors will wait to declare a State of Emergency in a city until requested by a Mayor. Typically that is accompanied by a request for Guard deployment.

No doubt had he done so without a request some on here would be crying racism since a White Governor "disrespected" a Black Mayor.

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsonic View Post
funny how race relations will continue to get worse not because of racist white people but because of racist blacks behaving as seen above
fify.

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
The moment your mom embarrass you in front of all your idiotic friends ... We need more of it.

yes, we do, its high time parents start gaining control of their kids again, did you see that a lot of looters are kids....?

I commend that mom, if that were my kid, he'd get worse then that.....

She should be the poster mom, for all parents, I was spanked, by my foster parents, not much, but I can tell you this, I'm glad they loved me enough to correct my behavior, so I would never be a part of something like this....

Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
They were indeed overwhelmed. They also saw this coming. They should have been prepared and the state police and national guard should have been on standby. They could have nipped this in the bud when it first went from civil disobedience to rock throwing and looting.
Of course they could have "been ready".
Exactly what part of "show restraint" and "stand down" do you not understand?

I know this must shock everyone, but NO STATE has a National Guard Unit of 1,500 to deploy on a minutes notice. It's kind of like Gasoline - there is no magic "oil" spigot that immediately produces gas - exploration, drilling, refining all take time. Same is true for the National Guard to deploy - to the Governor's credit - he signed the Orders within 30 seconds of getting the GO from Madam Mayor, but he still couldn't get them there until this morning. The State Police were already in Baltimore and probably used to cordon off Camden Yard, the City Hall and Madam Mayor's home.

Last night they said only 27 people had been arrested - this morning Madam Mayor claimed that about 200 were arrested. I'm betting the majority of those "arrested" were from the Mall looting - that MOB would have been more contained and not throwing Rocks, bottles & bricks at the Officers who were not allowed to defend themselves.

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
im in favor of getting youth especially black youth to respecting law enforcement again. we are going to continue to see michael brownesque stories simply because to young people rebelling against the police is cool. and more black youth will die and its absolutely 100% their fault

950 posts, read 923,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Look at it this way. If what the Mayor said wasn't spun to sound like she was giving permission to do those things, maybe those things wouldn't have happened. Media bears some responsibility.

give it up, daylux

The other two posters who sounded like they were defending the mayor have now apologized after seeing the full transcript.

Time for you to be a real man and do the same

Old 04-28-2015, 09:39 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Yes, injustice and unfairness. Perhaps the tea party folks will start rioting about being targeted by the IRS.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,013,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, we do, its high time parents start gaining control of their kids again, did you see that a lot of looters are kids....?

I commend that mom, if that were my kid, he'd get worse then that.....

She should be the poster mom, for all parents, I was spanked, by my foster parents, not much, but I can tell you this, I'm glad they loved me enough to correct my behavior, so I would never be a part of something like this....
I agree...My mom was the same way, if I acted that way she would whoop me with anything she could find and literally told me if I did something and got arrest to not call her. Kept me straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies