Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So CBS broadcast the exact words and the left defends those words based on fox hate,
The left is deranged
No one is saying she didn't say what she said. She said a really stupid comment. I think we all can agree with that.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:23 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is probably true, that is the point of partisan politics. So are you saying this partisan politics is okay?
You are defending her, you would not defend a repub....you are promoting partisan politics...

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
No one is saying she didn't say what she said. She said a really stupid comment. I think we all can agree with that.
She is. She denies she said that.

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times
its all done and hopefully over with soon.....so, out of everything bad comes some good, and maybe the good that came out of this is that, Many more Americans can clearly see what cops have to deal with....I'm not saying there are no bad cops, but there are a whole lot more good cops, and anyone in their right mind, wouldn't use anything as an excuse to do what these criminals did, they are not protesters, they are in fact criminals, and I wish the cops would close in and grab them, put them on a bus and hall their butts off to jail....lock them up with real criminals for awhile....

It is high time we start obeying our own laws, and stop allowing people like this mayor, and others to excuse everyone for breaking them....you don't reward bad behavior....so, you fire this mayor, and hire another and if that person doesn't do the job, you fire that person.....stop rewarding bad behavior....period.

When you don't enforce laws, this is what happens...chaos...

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Well seeing that right wingers seem to always take everything literally, I can see how her poorly worded statement has confused you. So you keep eating up that right wing media, that is what keeps them rich.

You can spin this however you want, I personally don't care, a riot is a riot is a riot. All I know is where my friend lives in Baltimore is quiet and no issue with rioting.
I watched the video, not the news. I don't need to spin anything. Her words were quite clear and unambiguous.

I can see how her poorly worded statement confused you but you would defend her even if you were not confused.

So keep watching that left wing news so you can sharpen your spin skills. I'm sure you spin Obama's "you can keep your insurance" words too.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So you are advocating the usurping of an elected leader's responsibilities and authority? I'm sure THAT would have gone over well. Please. A white Republican governor stepping on the authority of a Democrat black mayor?? The DOJ would have been investigating him if he tried that. Let's make sure we understand the realities of the world first before trying to assign blame to the governor.
At the end of the day, the governor has responsibility to call the National Guard. He does not appoint the Mayor, so I understand there are a lot of politics and chain of command issues.

He stated in the interview (just ended) that he was in constant communication with the mayor.
-did he suggest to her to make the call?
-did he tell her that it is his ultimate responsibility, and if she doesn't, he will?
-did he finally say that "with respect, I disagree with the mayor that the situation does not warrant NG, and I thereby am making the call and taking responsibility."

No, no and no. People are going to play the race card. You're playing it here, and SURELY, people would have reacted EXACTLY as you say (also playing it). He should have been a leader, shown his respect, and made his decision. Instead, he deferred his authority to a lower authority and thus abdicated his responsibility as Governor of MD.

Bottom line: He was not a leader, he followed someone that just about everyone agreed was not up to the job. He ultimately needed to recognize that, take the reigns, and act with certainty. How can anyone disagree with this?

EDIT: And I'm not assigning all blame to the Gov. I said MANY times the Mayor has blame. Obviously the rioters have blame. The police were wrong in the first place (does not justify the response), the history has been horrible, recent and longstanding. There are MANY reasons, none of them justify what happened. But the Governor could have done more. He could have done better. It does not mean he is responsible for all that happned, but he could have mitigated a lot of the damage, and failed to do so. That is not the same as "blame". (Blame is a big source of our problems. As another poster said, we should be focused on fixing problems, not blaming.)

Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
No one is saying she didn't say what she said.
Do you ever get any facts correct? She is denying she said what she said.

17,420 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
You are aware that when someone says their statement was characterized an taken out of context, that means poor choice of words. One doesn't have to say specifically "poor choice of words" to mean that, right wingers are so literal with everything.
This is her backpedaling:

Quote:
“I made it very clear that we balance a very fine line between giving peaceful protesters space to protest. What I said is, in doing so, people can hijack that and use that space for bad,” the mayor said. “I did not say that we were accepting of it, I did not say we were passive to it. I was just explaining how property damage can happen during a peaceful protest. It is very unfortunate that members of your industry decided to mischaracterize my words and try to use it as a way to say that we are inciting violence, there is no such thing.”

But she literally said:

Quote:
“While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and that’s what you saw.”

Which DOES say that they were accepting of the rioters destroying property. It DOES say that they were passive to it.

But sure, if you want to cut her slack, have at it.

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
I agree...My mom was the same way, if I acted that way she would whoop me with anything she could find and literally told me if I did something and got arrest to not call her. Kept me straight
OMG, I said the same thing to my son...."Don't call me!" Yanno what, I'm so glad my mom was strict....my foster mom I mean, she was awesome and I'm glad she loved me enough to enforce rules...

Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Seems all those dems took her for her word also....you know those rioting....burning stuff and such...

Ohhh you care, or you would not be defending what she stated...
Actually I am not defending her, that was a stupid thing to say, plain and simple. I don't think that is what she meant to say, I don't think the rioting started because the mayor said it was cool to riot because they blocked off an area for them to riot in. Seriously, who thinks that?

And no, I really don't care, I couldn't even tell you what is going on there right now because I am not paying attention to it. I am simply commenting on this video speech because I thought it was a dumb thing and a poor choice of words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So then tell us just what did she mean ?

What does "give them space to destroy" really mean ?

The Mayor isn't telling us. She's now denying she said that.
I can't tell you what she meant, she could tell you that, and I am sure a statement is out there from the mayor of Baltimore pointing out what she meant if you cared to know what she was trying to say.

Well it means right wingers are very literal with things they here. It is funny, I have been around a lot of toddlers and children in recent years and I have learned they too take everything literally and are not good with understanding things in the figurative sense. I always thought figurative was something easy for people to grasp, but I have since learned I am very wrong about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies