Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is sad.....trying to determine what party to blame it on when in the end the only difference is the rhetoric.
Yes..there's a feeding frenzy going on.

Blaming Fox News for what the Mayor said about "space to destroy" when in fact it was a CBS live broadcast of her press conference.

Now blaming the Governor for not sending in the National Guard sooner.

Seems to me that Baltimore took a different approach to the looting than Ferguson.
Instead of sending in the troops immediately they held off (probably hoping it would die down).

And today everyone is spending their time pointing fingers.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Interesting press conference with the governor right now. Sounds like the governor was ready and prepared and the mayor dragged her feet.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM

939 posts, read 795,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
It doesn't matter if I think the violence is justified; it doesn't matter if you think it's justified -it isn't.

What matters is that the rioters think it's justified, and if we want these riots to stop, we have to convince the disaffected that we as a nation tolerate no double standards. This is being discussed as a racial incident (yet another one under Obama the Great Healer, but that's another discussion), but this is not a racial incident when you drill all the way to the bottom of it, in my opinion.

The fundamental reason that this is happening is a lack of confidence. To wit, confidence that when police officers behave in a criminal or suspect manner that they will be treated the same way the rest of us would be treated: as criminal suspects.

This isn't fundamentally a matter of racial animus so much as it is a matter of frustration with a perceived double standard in a country that says everyone will be treated the same.

(Oh, and I will brook no bull**** from anyone who tries to allege that I am anti-cop. Most of my Friends are in law enforcement or are retired law enforcement and a family member is in a Police Academy as I write this. You can be in favor of police reform without being "anti-cop".)
You make a good point- until police are held to the same criminal standards as everyone else, frustration will continue to boil over. I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no racial element here, however.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You were watching a different Fox news broadcast than I was.

The Guard had been notified to be on standby Sunday, as confirmed last night by General Singh, the Guard's commander.

The Mayor was somewhat incommunicado, a fact noted last night by the Governor during his press conference.

The "chain of command" is accurate in this case. To be polite, and politically correct, the Governors will wait to declare a State of Emergency in a city until requested by a Mayor. Typically that is accompanied by a request for Guard deployment.

No doubt had he done so without a request some on here would be crying racism since a White Governor "disrespected" a Black Mayor.
He is speaking live NOW. He JUST SAID that "he did not think it was appropriate". He avoided the question of "did he have authority".

Sorry, but any leader needs to recognize when the person who is calling the shots does not have it under control. The mayor failed, I give you that. The governor should have taken charge of the matter, rather than standing by.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Interesting press conference with the governor right now. Sounds like the governor was ready and prepared and the mayor dragged her feet.

Neither were prepared. The Governor is a politician, and covering his Arse.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
I'll add the police chief of Baltimore is black, and so is half the police department.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:11 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
The context was edited by Fox news. Isn't context important anymore?
Here is the speech. Tell us how to spin this. Please add context that would make this an acceptable speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=43&v=9_5KQC7k8Lc

Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes..there's a feeding frenzy going on.

Blaming Fox News for what the Mayor said about "space to destroy" when in fact it was a CBS live broadcast of her press conference.
Yes and it's all stupid. The two parties likely love it. If you further drive people apart it only makes them stronger.

Quote:
Now blaming the Governor for not sending in the National Guard sooner.

Seems to me that Baltimore took a different approach to the looting than Ferguson.
Instead of sending in the troops immediately they held off (probably hoping it would die down).

And today everyone is spending their time pointing fingers.
Yes, and the fingers would have pointed no matter what she did. Because it's all about blame, not addressing the problems. If you address the problems the parties become weaker.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's insured stuff versus lives.

Seems to me the no action taken protected people and prevented full scale escalation.
Maybe that's because it wasn't your property being destroyed. You wouldn't trivialize it if it were.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
He is speaking live NOW. He JUST SAID that "he did not think it was appropriate". He avoided the question of "did he have authority".

Sorry, but any leader needs to recognize when the person who is calling the shots does not have it under control. The mayor failed, I give you that. The governor should have taken charge of the matter, rather than standing by.
So you are advocating the usurping of an elected leader's responsibilities and authority? I'm sure THAT would have gone over well. Please. A white Republican governor stepping on the authority of a Democrat black mayor?? The DOJ would have been investigating him if he tried that. Let's make sure we understand the realities of the world first before trying to assign blame to the governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies