Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Nope...pulling out before Iraq was ready to defend themselves was what opened the door to Isis. Have you forgotten that we still have troops in Germany? It takes years for a country that was as devastated as Iraq to build up their security strength.

If we had not gone in there we would have had many, many more attacks on American soil which would have been equal to or greater than 9/11. Anyone with intelligence and foresight knows you fight the enemy on their soil...not here.
We had no business invading Iraq, it had a functioning secular government, it was one of the few stable countries in the middle east. And you could have kept our troops there for a hundred years and population would sit back the entire time arguing about whether the Sunni or the Shia should run Iraq while our kids continue getting killed.

And the 9/11 attack did not originate in Iraq and had NOTHING to do with Iraq, the terrorists were Saudis our BFF in the Middle East. And anyone with intelligence and foresight knows there are horrible implications for invading and killing people in other countries, more terrorists are recruited on the basis of what we have done in the Middle East than for any other reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We were told we would be in and out in a manner of months. There is no way we would have went in if the argument would have been that we would be there decades. There is also absolutely no reason for us to have troops in Germany.

We had no reason to go in, in the first place.

Iraq was the enemy of our enemy (I use that word loosely). Iraq was a secular nation and no friend of Al Queda. You know this though.
dang it, something else we agree on, who woulda thought

Old 05-19-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, yes! The younger generations are now being raised without discipline and turned loose without parental guidance. Having them serve a mandatory term in the military would help straighten them out to face the realities of the real world plus teach them self discipline.

I have always been of the belief that when Nixon stopped the draft (I think it was Nixon) we did a large disservice to the youngsters and our country.
why don't you go serve a term in the military and quit offering up other people's kids?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Free college is not the answer, but then again, student loan debt isn't the answer either.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,874 times
Back to the topic...when a college education is free, it will be worth exactly that - nothing!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That would only be true "if" our education system were actually giving good education instead of the convoluted crap that does nothing to prepare for life ahead, encourages immorality...co-habitated dorms/bathrooms/booze and drug parties, etc., etc. ...and produces nothing that business can really hire unless they are willing to go to the expense of having to re-educate. Been there, done that so do know what I'm talking about!
I have no clue what you are even talking about, my son graduated from UNR 5 years ago and he got an excellent education, he certainly didn't indulge in drug and booze parties- where do you get this stuff, from the old movie "Party Animal"?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Back to the topic...when a college education is free, it will be worth exactly that - nothing!
That's hilarious. When I went to Community College it was free except for books and a parking permit, I certainly got plenty out of it, it changed my life. After that I worked full time went to a state college at night which had very low fees, I got my BS from there and went on to do very well. That was only possible because of the education I received.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Free college is not the answer, but then again, student loan debt isn't the answer either.
In California Community College used to be free, why did it work so well then, but it's not the answer now?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Nope...pulling out before Iraq was ready to defend themselves was what opened the door to Isis. Have you forgotten that we still have troops in Germany? It takes years for a country that was as devastated as Iraq to build up their security strength.
Very different situations. For one, there was no "nation building" necessary in Germany. Germany had been a cohesive nation prior to the war and it always had a functioning national government infrastructure through the war and ready to go back into operation--the US never actually "ran" West Germany. The same was true in Japan. For the Germans, there was already a "Germany." For the Japanese, there was already a "Japan."

Iraq, OTOH, was still just a bunch of battling sects that had only been suppressed by a dictator. It was no different from Yugoslavia under Tito, and in fact watching Yugoslavia spin apart led Iraq intelligence analysts to realize the same thing would happen in Iraq after Saddam.

It wasn't a matter of Iraq defending itself, it was a matter that there was and still is no real "Iraq" in the mind of the average Iraqi.

Quote:
If we had not gone in there we would have had many, many more attacks on American soil which would have been equal to or greater than 9/11. Anyone with intelligence and foresight knows you fight the enemy on their soil...not here.
Iraq wasn't responsible for any terrorism exported anywhere except Israel. Saudi Arabia holds that responsibility.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
A lot of GI Bill veterans would argue otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies