Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 09:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Police don't want to be held accountable for their actions.
This is a push back by them in hopes that they can go back to doing whatever they want to do. This is an important stand they are making. Are police going to be held accountable to do the job correctly and fallow dept policy or are they going to allowed to continue this do nothing policy.
It kind of reminds me of the Ronald Reagan Air traffic Controllers strike. He replaced them all that did not return and do the job.

People don't want to be held accountable for their actions and when the police are called in to straighten things out they are the bad guys. Aren't they there to sort the bad guys from the good guys? Maybe the line is blurry.

Are people going to be held accountable for how they misbehave in public or are they going to continue with their lawless anarchy?

What do people want? Civility or anarchy? The protesters called for anarchy and most of their brethren agree. Let them have anarchy for a few years.

BTW...this has nothing to do with Reagan and ATC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did the grand jurors have a 'racial chip' on their shoulders too?
There's a saying in the law: "You can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich."

Grand juries are only given the evidence prosecutors want them to see. Defense attorneys aren't even allowed in.

The only recent exception was in Ferguson, where the prosecutor presented all the available evidence, including evidence favorable to the defendant.

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-29-2015 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Our police did not make the laws; we charge them with enforcing our laws. Baltimore has a Black Mayor. Blacks apparently have some political clout - so what laws do you want to change? Or do you just want our police not to enforce current laws?
Quote:
Last time I checked, Mayor's do not have the authority to enact or change laws.
Mayors plus city councils have the power to change laws.

Baltimore's mayor is black.

Half of the city council is black.

All are Democrats.

The state of Maryland is run by Democrats.

And it's been that way for a long, long time.

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-29-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I made myself clear, mayor's do not make or change laws state law. The only 'laws' that City Officials have any control over are local ordinances which don't usually have a big effect on law enforcement.
So what "oppressive" and "racist" laws do you want changed?

Laws against murder?

Rape?

Armed robbery?

Looting?

Assault and Battery?

Arson?

Theft?

Vandalism?

Drug Dealing?

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-29-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
A "mistake" ie, intentionally driving recklessly, with an unrestrained suspect in the vehicle, an activity that the city of Baltimore has been sued for multiple times in multiple instances where suspects have been seriously injured..white and black suspects, btw.

This is not a "mistake"...that is police getting their kicks messing people up. I seriously hope that people aren't this stupid/blind to see.
You seem to know more than anyone else exactly what happened.

Were you there?

Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Mayors plus city councils have the power to change laws.

Baltimore's mayor is black.

Half of the city council is black.

All are Democrats.

The state of Maryland is run by Democrats.

And it's been that way for a long, long time.
mayors plus city councils can change CITY ORDINANCES I already said that, didn't I?

Old 05-30-2015, 12:06 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So what "oppressive" and "racist" laws do you want changed?
Laws against murder?
Rape?
Armed robbery?
Looting?
Assault and Battery?
Arson?
Theft?
Vandalism?
Drug Dealing?
I never said I wanted ANY laws changed, here- let me help you out a little since you seem very confused. THIS is what was said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
so what laws do you want to change? Or do you just want our police not to enforce current laws?
Quote:
I made myself clear, mayor's do not make or change laws state law. The only 'laws' that City Officials have any control over are local ordinances which don't usually have a big effect on law enforcement.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Most young people who commit crimes don't think they will get caught, in fact they don't think much at all, and they almost never consider the impact of their crime on their victim. That applies to about most offenders whether white or black. Some are just stupid and young, others are sociopaths. That is why the threat of lengthy punishment doesn't generally act as a deterrent, they never stop and say "wow I could get 20 years for this, it's not worth it"

It seems that the poorest, most miserable people not only lack insight but simply don't care much about themselves or anyone else.
As evidenced in this picture:

Old 05-30-2015, 08:50 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
As evidenced in this picture:
In this case, a picture is worth a 100,000 words.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
People don't want to be held accountable for their actions and when the police are called in to straighten things out they are the bad guys. Aren't they there to sort the bad guys from the good guys? Maybe the line is blurry.

Are people going to be held accountable for how they misbehave in public or are they going to continue with their lawless anarchy?

What do people want? Civility or anarchy? The protesters called for anarchy and most of their brethren agree. Let them have anarchy for a few years.

BTW...this has nothing to do with Reagan and ATC.

You say "people don't want to be held accountable for their actions" I agree !!! Police are people, and in this situation don't want to be held accountable. That meets a definition of anarchy. Interestingly we have no way to hold Politicians accountable other than by voting. Some are suggesting that police should not be held accountable and we have to accept that, without a vote. Where there is no accountability corruption finds fertile ground. That is a statement many would agree with and we find that in politics continuously. So we have the chicken and the egg. What came first ? Is it the anarchy of police that have fostered the anarchy of the public or the other way around ? If we can't identify the problem how can a solution be found.

In simpleminded fashion the people are given two choices " Civility or anarchy ". It has to be either black or white and no shades of grey can enter into a solution. Some suggest as supposedly did Marie Antoinette " Let them eat cake ". That didn't work out to well for her, in the end, as she lost her head. Then you state " Let them have anarchy for a few years. " That creates a temporary autonomous zone which some say should be permanent. If that is found to be the solution then look for one coming to a neighborhood near you.

It is puzzling to see those who don't support unions will support the concept when it involves organizations that they feel should be above the law. The same can be said of those who call for accountability of politicians yet would exempt police. Complain about special interest just don't complain about mine, they say in essence. It is the two-face double speak, of the well intended, who are uncomfortable when the solution falls outside the parameters and foundation of their political beliefs. They fallback and conform to the party line and jettison reasonable proven solutions to maintain the Status Quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies