Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,875,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Really, because 6 out of the only 9 people on the planet that get to make that call just disagreed with you. Why does every conservative fancy themselves as some kind of constitutional law expert? What are your credentials? Let me guess, you put in hours of research and analysis using sources like Hannity, Limbaugh and Fox News, correct?

You need to remember that the legal definition of a jury is "12 morons in a box".

It's not much different at the SC.

Are they always 'correct'? Hell no.

Are they always 'final'? Usually.

The assumption we desperately want to believe is that these 6 people reached their conclusion without any outside or undue influence. The vote was 6-3, but we'll likely never know what changed hands in order to get those 6 votes. Rest assured, though, it is highly likely something changed hands.

I have to say that I'm not shocked at the decision (though I expected it to be 5-4, with the compromised Justice Roberts being the swing vote).

I'm not a conservative, and I'm not a liberal. In fact, at this stage of my life, I hate all 535 idiots we have in DC, including the 9 morons in a box at the SC. However, I started a company 2 years ago with the bet that Obamacare would somehow survive. Essentially, our revenue model is dependent on dealing with the shortcomings of Obamacare, so in a sense, a guy who I consider a moron is actually responsible for making my business grow.

Only in America.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They still don't have access to the healthcare they need.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/us...ctor.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=top-news&_r=3

See how that works?
Sounds like the ACA did not live up to this part time landscape worker's expectations in terms of affordability.

It makes no mention if she was previously insured or what kind of plan she had in 2011.

Perhaps she was employed full time and her employer subsidized her insurance.

Perhaps she had a more affordable catastrophic plan that would not have addressed her day to day needs, going forward.

I wonder the maximum annual/lifetime benefit of her former plan, if any.

Pre ACA, Illinois provided some relief to those with pre-existing conditions covered under group plans by limiting the look back period. Those in the individual plan market had no such protections.

Given her physical condition she would likely be better off with a plan with a low deductible and higher premium. It's reasonable to assume she probably cannot afford a higher premium on her part time work level. Not clear if she is physically capable of working more than part time.

Without knowing more about it is not reasonable to compare and contrast situations.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:20 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,256,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
No insurance? You are the one that will be a deadbeat after you have a major illness. Can you pay a major bunch of hospital bills?
Trust fund baby.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No cap on the deductible. It'll all be out of pocket costs.
^ Incorrect for emergency services.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
You just have to love the delicious hypocrisy of a Medicare recipient complaining about other people receiving health insurance coverage subsidized by the federal government.
you do realize, medicare is something people paid into for many years. Like ss, it is an insurance and like ss primuims were collected for generations before a recipiant could reap any rewards, if you can call them such.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Ha ha ha, you are either a big fat liar you have no clue what you're talking about! Our family is covered under the plan there has seen no huge increases, Our deductible hasn't gone up and our coverage has even expanded.

What does your daughter do for American airlines? I think it's another one of your made-up BS stories.
She is a supervisor of gate agents in Florida,with about 30 years longivity with the company and you do what for American?

BTW: I am fat but I am not a liar!!!! lol

Last edited by nmnita; 06-25-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you do realize, medicare is something people paid into for many years. Like ss, it is an insurance and like ss primuims were collected for generations before a recipiant could reap any rewards, if you can call them such.
You do realize that people who buy their health insurance through the exchanges also pay premiums every month, right? And that if you don't pay into it, you cannot reap any benefits from it?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
As a Republican I'm fine with this. Obamacare will remain a national problem at the same time it takes it off the table as an issue for the presidential elections.
The US healthcare system has been broken for a long , long time.

The ACA attempted to solve some of the challenges.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:31 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,776,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You do realize that Medicare recipients are receiving benefits worth about THREE TIMES what they paid in, even after adjusting for inflation?

You're welcome.

Why do you deserve to be subsidized when you claim that other people don't?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:31 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,258,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Trust fund baby.
Yeah, sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies