Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 11:25 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
I personally don't think that the Confederate flag should be flying on any state government property. That being said, I believe it is a violation of free speech to intimidate merchants from selling or manufacturing Confederate flags.

What really pisses me off is that the Democrats had no problem with Ernest Hollings, who was the SC Governor that ordered the Confederate flag to be flown atop the SC Capitol (and who served as U.S. Senator as recently as 2004), and that Democrats had no problem with KKK leader Robert Byrd as Majority Leader. The liberals have selected outrage, reserved only for Republican racists like Strom Thurmond and Trent Lott.

And if Democrats nominate Hillary, they are being hypocrites of the highest order, since liberals shouted from the highest mountaintops back in 2008 that both she and Bill ran such a "racist" campaign against Obama.
I agree that the Democrats have a lot of their own shame for tolerating these scoundrels in their party as long as they did. While I acknowledge the shift in the Democratic party after the Republicans pursued the southern strategy, that in NO WAY relieves them of their obligation to stop nominating/supporting with known Klansmen in the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
I have always found it disrespectful to have it on government buildings and such. Not just this week, always. Then again, I'm not personally sympathetic to white supremacist / racist ideals.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Or conversely, the Nazi's did their share of banning this/that for the "good of the state", like many in this country are going on about. What makes you think the motives of the current "ban this/that" are pure/what their true agenda is? Cuts both ways.
I don't propose that it should be banned by government decree...I just think it is so unpopular...even within states that identify with the flag...among citizens of those states, I mean...that it can't possibly be politically viable to fly it on the state capital anymore. It seems like a majority is against flying the confederate flag...even in southern states.

Yes, in 2000 it was voted on in SC...but times (and demographics!) have shifted considerably since 2000.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:32 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
If I find a symbol that I define in my own mind as "offensive" and you don't, does that mean my view trumps yours, or vice versa, and I have a right to demand that symbol to be not shown in public places if I shout loud enough? People are offended by many things in life, don't agree with certain symbols, etc. so where does it end and who's the judge/jury to decide in the end? Who's view "wins"?

Answer....it's a very slippery/dangerous slope in my view and that is my concern on the Confederate flag as it opens a huge can of worms way beyond it.
Fine, you don't find it offensive. You have a right to fly the flag on your own property, slap a flag bumper sticker on your car or wear Confederate flag underwear for all I care. But you do not have the right to demand it be flown on public land that is owned by all of us, many of whom do find it offensive. Why do you believe you do?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They probably had no idea what the ISIS flag looked like....come to think of it, I didn't even know ISIS had a flag, kudos to their graphic design department.
Neither did I. And frankly, I find it a bit embarrassing that I didn't, political junkie that I am. So no, I don't find it the least bit surprising that a Walmart cake decorator didn't know, either.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 PM

I imagine, especially based on recent polling numbers, that the flag is pretty unpopular in southern states as well. I don't think people are so much asking for a government ban as much as people are realizing that demographically, they are now part of a majority who don't find it favorable to keep flying the flag anymore. So I imagine just out of political expediency you will see more politicians, representing their constituents desires, requesting removal and relegation to a more appropriate place (history museum, etc.)

Old 06-27-2015, 11:39 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't remember them complaining about it a few weeks ago.

Of course we know that it's because their messiah and his favorite race baiter told them to. But I just wanted to hear their excuses as to why they suddenly decided to be outraged.
It's been on their hit list for a long time.

They were just waiting for the right crisis to not let go to waste, per the advice of Rahm Emmanuel.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Fine, you don't find it offensive. You have a right to fly the flag on your own property, slap a flag bumper sticker on your car or wear Confederate flag underwear for all I care. But you do not have the right to demand it be flown on public land that is owned by all of us, many of whom do find it offensive. Why do you believe you do?
I didn't say I find it offensive or not. That's not the point I'm making as I'm making a higher level point/concern. And that's who is the judge/jury to decide? And what reason will trump the other? Does the person who finds it offensive trump one who thinks it should be flown on state property because they see it as historical significance? And your point of I "don't have the right to demand it be flown on public land that is owned by all of us" because "many of whom do find it offensive" makes me say equally that you also don't have the right to say it can't be flown on public property. And I'll ask you the same question.....why do YOU believe you can make this choice and define the symbol in only one context?

So you helped me wind back to my bigger picture question.....who has the right to say this/that symbol is offensive or not, and who will be the judge/jury to decide if it can be displayed on public property? There's lots of gray in this. What's next....people demanding the American flag can't be flown on public property because of what was done under it to the Native American Indians? See my point where this can go?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:42 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Because it's the flavor of the day.
Bam! Nailed it. Group think for non-thinking people who so desperately want to matter.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
It's not a "liberal" thing at all.

It happened because we can't fix the problem of random killers so people focus on a symbol instead. It's nothing new, people have argued this point with this flag for many years, but the recent event put it in the spotlight and nobody could pretend it was no big deal anymore.

It should NOT fly over government building since it's not a symbol of the country as it is today. I don't care about companies selling it or not but there is a large knee jerk reaction by some that will settle down in the coming days/weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies