Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 07:04 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Just remember that the people who waved that flag wanted to keep you and your family members as slaves.
Really? Because when I went to school 30+ years ago I was taught that the war was not really about slavery at all because the Confederacy had stated many times it was their intent to end the practice of slavery. They just didn't want it dictated to them along with many other grievances they had against Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 07:04 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
To me white southerners memorializing the confederacy as being about bravery and nobility is the same as memorializing lynchings as being about community standards and cohesiveness.

It's a lie and everyone knows it's a lie.

It's more proof of how racist the nation remains that so many pretend otherwise.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Really? Because when I went to school 30+ years ago I was taught that the war was not really about slavery at all because the Confederacy had stated many times it was their intent to end the practice of slavery. They just didn't want it dictated to them along with many other grievances they had against Washington.
This is a lie. Read the articles of succession from those southern states. They were all about slavery. Nothing to do with states rights. States rights was apart of the distortion and lie that northern and southern white folks arrived at to sort of bury the hatchet.

The north was like we won't insist that the confederacy be remembered as a brutal death cult of racist hatred, and southerners were like we will go back to being Americans, But that narrative was political and has no basis in reality.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:10 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't remember them complaining about it a few weeks ago.

Of course we know that it's because their messiah and his favorite race baiter told them to. But I just wanted to hear their excuses as to why they suddenly decided to be outraged.
Humans cannot let go of the hooks of the past. Combine that with the absurd politically correct movement of recent times, people seem to find hate in everything. Although I understand that the confederate south will always have ties and reminders of slavery, the flag itself is also a historical symbol of what it took to make the U.S. (my country) what it is today. It took the civil war to begin the unification of the country. Racism still hasn't gone away, but in slow steps I still see forward movement. I don't recall anyone ever telling me the confederate flag was a symbol of slavery.

Actions of the few destroy life for the many. Because what occurred in the church, it gave fuel for those to decry the flag as only a symbol of hate. Unlike Hitler and the Swastika, I believe the historical importance of the flag far outweighs anyone's critical belief in the flag.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:11 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Can't wait to see what they come up with to take away from people next month. This administration should worry more about ISIS drowning people and filming it, than a flag flying that many people are defending, including blacks.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
I live in South Carolina and it seems the confederate flag has become more popular. I saw a truck with two large confederate flags on the back and I saw a truck last night with 3 confederate flag bumper stickers in his windows and on his tailgate.

[MOD CUT/copyright]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-28-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is a lie. Read the articles of succession from those southern states. They were all about slavery. Nothing to do with states rights. States rights was apart of the distortion and lie that northern and southern white folks arrived at to sort of bury the hatchet.

The north was like we won't insist that the confederacy be remembered as a brutal death cult of racist hatred, and southerners were like we will go back to being Americans, But that narrative was political and has no basis in reality.
You mean it's a lie now that the liberal agenda is revising the history books right? I'm sure the text books I learned from have been burned by now.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Humans cannot let go of the hooks of the past. Combine that with the absurd politically correct movement of recent times, people seem to find hate in everything. Although I understand that the confederate south will always have ties and reminders of slavery, the flag itself is also a historical symbol of what it took to make the U.S. (my country) what it is today. It took the civil war to begin the unification of the country. Racism still hasn't gone away, but in slow steps I still see forward movement. I don't recall anyone ever telling me the confederate flag was a symbol of slavery.

Actions of the few destroy life for the many. Because what occurred in the church, it gave fuel for those to decry the flag as only a symbol of hate. Unlike Hitler and the Swastika, I believe the historical importance of the flag far outweighs anyone's critical belief in the flag.
This is a bogus argument. There is no disagreement that the flag has historical significance, but that significance is being the symbol of a traitorous, mudering, racist death cult dedicated to keeping human beings as property.

There is zero reason, why America or individual states loyal to America, and against murder and racism and slavery should give that flag a place of honor or the men who fought under that flag.

Again, if one thinks of black Americans as full citizens in America and individual states, then honoring a flag and people dedicated to their death and enslavement, is hateful and racist.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:26 AM

37,166 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't remember them complaining about it a few weeks ago.

Of course we know that it's because their messiah and his favorite race baiter told them to. But I just wanted to hear their excuses as to why they suddenly decided to be outraged.
I've been fighting it for nearly 50 years, and I had six relatives I know of who fought for the Confederacy. I live in S.C. where the government has shown the world in the last few days just how big a lot of racist bastards they really are. Nikki Hayley finally called for the removal of the flag from the State House grounds when the political climate got white hot last week after the Charleston shootings, but the flag remained at full staff for the slain legislator's body to pass by when he was brought to the capital to lie in state. The only reason she acted and Lindsey Graham did a 180 from a week before is that they have designs on national political offices.It really needs to be relegated to a museum, but it should always be remembered as an example of what not to do in the future.

On the eve of the Civil War, Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens gave this speech:

“Our new government is founded… upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth…"

This is from the horse's mouth. "State's Rights" means the right to own people as property. The flag is, was, and will always be a racist symbol.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You mean it's a lie now that the liberal agenda is revising the history books right? I'm sure the text books I learned from have been burned by now.
No it's a lie based on the articles of succession. The reason the south hated Lincoln was because the Republican Party was founded to stop the expansion of slavery to new states and territories.

Far from wanting to end slavery the confederate/slave states wanted it expanded.

Again, read their articles of succession. This is why they are leaving the union in their own words. Source material and that reason is all about slavery.

This has zero to do with liberals. This is objective reality.

The lie that the civil war was about states rights is an add on after the fact lie that northern and southern white folks invented to sort of bury the hatchet after the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies