Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 10:31 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
That was not some ancient civilization we are talking about here...that stuff was going on in the South when my dad was a kid...really not that long ago. Pretty embarrassing, when you think about it.
Do you live your life in a guilt haze? Honestly, you can't control others/the actions of other adults in life except yourself, let alone generation(s) earlier. And you are certainly not responsible for their actions. They made their good/bad choices on their own so there's nothing for you to be embarrassed about.

Good life lesson for you tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The Confederate flag is the most offensive symbol IN THE WORLD.
On second thought. I'm going to take this statement back. It was a stupid comment. Although I have nothing but disdain for the Confederate flag and all that it stands for, I can't see that it is the most offensive symbol in the world.

It is EQUAL in offensiveness to this society as ISIS is to the world. That's more appropriate.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Rainbow flags offend me...

Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
I support the flag strictly because I'm against the government banning things because they offend people. The constitution supports freedom of speech regardless of how it might offend someone... realistically this 'ban' should be struck down in any court of law.

Before this nonsense started I didn't care or give a second thought about this flag, and do not in general support blatant racism, but I DO oppose censorship of speech.

Next they'll be throwing people in jail for denying the holocaust or the official 9/11 story. What are they so afraid of? People have a god given, mother bleeping right to have access to any speech they want and decide for themselves.. not have some statist dictators tell them they can't read about a certain subject or have a certain item because it's content might be 'dangerous' ... dangerous to whom? The people running the show?

This is why I say.. history is written by the victors.. history as you think you know it is not real, it's completely corrupted. The real truth of what has happened throughout human history is pretty much lost. Oppressive powers, whether it be governments or churches, have manipulated things and staged book burnings through recorded history.

They just want people to live their lives, check their facebook, chat about sports, and not ask any real questions or debate any topics of any sort of interest...

Old 06-27-2015, 10:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Apparently these people think those in the South are still hanging people, burning lower case T's in folks yards and looting/burning down businesses. (I guess the latter is still true in MO but I don't think it was the racists hillbillies partaking in that.)

The most racist people I've ever encountered were in Massachusetts. I worked for a large firm early in my career. After growing up in Northern California and then a tour in the Navy, it was especially shocking. Blatant racism against Portuguese and Blacks. They weren't too kind toward the Irish, either.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
Default Why have the liberals just suddenly found the confederate flag to be an intolerable symbol of racism?

I don't remember them complaining about it a few weeks ago.

Of course we know that it's because their messiah and his favorite race baiter told them to. But I just wanted to hear their excuses as to why they suddenly decided to be outraged.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Do you live your life in a guilt haze? Honestly, you can't control others/the actions of other adults in life except yourself, let alone generation(s) earlier. And you are certainly not responsible for their actions. They made their good/bad choices on their own so there's nothing for you to be embarrassed about.

Good life lesson for you tonight.
We are responsible for calling out and successfully fighting the injustices of our time, just as our parents are of theirs and their parents before them. Abolitionist were in the moral right, and we can hold slavery supporters accountable. Integrationists and those who fought for civil rights were in the moral right, and we can hold segregationists accountable. Time will tell, but as a moderate pro-life person I would think that 100 years from now we can say those who supported life were in the right, and those who didn't will be held accountable. If we don't call out the failings of those who came before us we are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Because it's the flavor of the day.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:52 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,561 times
It will be forever tied to George Wallace, standing in the doorway of the University of Alabama...as well as other symbols of defiance of just simple human decency.

And this isn't a two-week old issue. In 2000, when I was in college, we were debating this issue of what the flag meant because it was up for votes in the South. But because I didn't live in the South, I have seen the confederate flag actually flying (i.e. not on the internet) all of about 10 times in my life....I grew up in New York, and live in a diverse sub-urban neighborhood Midwest city where it is just not prevalent. If I was exposed to it more, I would have been more vociferous in my opposition to it...because to me it was used to symbolize that which is just indefensible.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:58 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The most racist people I've ever encountered were in Massachusetts. I worked for a large firm early in my career. After growing up in Northern California and then a tour in the Navy, it was especially shocking. Blatant racism against Portuguese and Blacks. They weren't too kind toward the Irish, either.
Others would agree with you:

Justice Clarence Thomas: Northern liberal elites more racist toward me than southerners | BizPac Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies