Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

Well, here is another "gift" from law enforcement...

For years, police departments and media have been suggesting that people wait until they are in a well lit area to stop for police signaling to pull over.

What happens if you take their advice? Looks like that well publicized suggestion may get you a FELONY charge for evading arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Very sad example of disgusting hypocrisy at it's finest.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
I have never heard that advice before, though I couldn't tell you the last time I was pulled over.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
When you see those flashing lights behind you, you're supposed to stop as soon as there is room to pull over, period.

The cops can provide plenty of light with the search lights attached to their cars and the flashlights that they carry.

Now that we're done with common sense, we can go back to emotionalism.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:39 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
When you see those flashing lights behind you, you're supposed to stop as soon as there is room to pull over, period.

The cops can provide plenty of light with the search lights attached to their cars and the flashlights that they carry.

Actually, it HAS been stated by media who say that the police suggest that you can drive to a well lit area to pull over. This usually follows a story about someone impersonating an officer, pulling someone over, and attacking the person.

Frankly, I would get on the phone with 911 right away were I that concerned, and ensure that it was indeed a cop following me. I haven't been pulled over in some time, so suddenly getting pulled over would be surprising.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

While I tend to agree with most of what you've said, I still think it is smart to proceed to a safe place so long as it is within a reasonable distance. In other words, don't drive 2 miles before pulling over. Hopefully that charge will be dropped and that will be the end of it.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, it HAS been stated by media who say that the police suggest that you can drive to a well lit area to pull over. This usually follows a story about someone impersonating an officer, pulling someone over, and attacking the person.

Frankly, I would get on the phone with 911 right away were I that concerned, and ensure that it was indeed a cop following me. I haven't been pulled over in some time, so suddenly getting pulled over would be surprising.
When and what media has stated this? I have never heard of this before. Though it would be wise to follow the rules that come from the DMV over what a talking head in the media tells you.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:52 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
He drove a mile and a half before pulling over.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When and what media has stated this? I have never heard of this before. Though it would be wise to follow the rules that come from the DMV over what a talking head in the media tells you.
He is correct, here is just one of many that I've seen:

Police issue warning about possible fake cop

This was the only incident reported, said Sgt. Keith Hughes, and the woman used good judgment by not stopping for the man. Hughes said anyone believing they are being pulled over by a police impersonator should call 911 and let the police dispatcher make contact with the officer. If unable to contact 911, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concerns.

(It also appears the young man pulled over in this case followed the advice completely)

Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Regardless of what the actual advise is, it's idiotic to call this 'evading' in anyway. He drove a whole mile and half (not very far) before pulling over to a well lit area. Any cop with common sense should be able to understand why he did that or just ask why. And since he after a short drive did voluntarily stop, how can anyone call this evading?

Only idiots can and I hope anyone who think this reaction is necessary is offended by me calling you what you are. An idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies