Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times

Advertisements

Also, this was a uniformed police officer in an official police vehicle that turned on their lights and siren to pull over the driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:32 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Did the police warn people about impersonators in this area that the man was pulled over in?
As I posted, I have heard this advice many times - from all over the country for many years. I do not know if that was the case in this man's area, but since he did exactly what all these other PD's have advised, I would think he had heard it too.

The point is, if LE Departments are going to issue these warning and related suggestions - it is damn wrong of them to then charge people when they follow the suggestion. And if you are going to rely on these pronouncement by LE, you'd best be aware of the unintended consequences.

----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...lling-f/nmTGJ/

"If a motorist feels uneasy about stopping for a police officer, he or she should call 911 and advise the dispatcher who will relay the information to the patrol officer, Gordon said. He advised driving to a lighted area."
"Wareham police advise us not to stop in any remote or unlit areas. They say to call 9-1-1 or head to the nearest police station."

Wareham Police Warn: Beware Of Fake Cop
http://fox59.com/2014/04/28/police-w...n-pulled-over/

"Sheriff Ken Campbell reminds the public to always use caution when being stopped by someone identifying themselves as law enforcement. In Indiana, officers are required to be in full uniform or in a fully marked police car in order to stop a motorist."
http://www.poconorecord.com/article/...NEWS/407280323
But authorities say the impersonations are happening with alarming frequency.
Complicating efforts to halt such practices is that police gear can be easily obtained over the Internet or at brick-and-mortar stores that sell uniforms and other equipment, Reed said
"Motorists can pull over to a well-lit area, put on their four-way flashers and call 911 to alert dispatchers so they can determine if it's a legitimate stop or not."
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.delcotimes.com/general-ne...e-impersonator

State police tell motorists who are being pulled over by a person in an unmarked vehicle or who may not be a police officer to follow a few safety tips:

Put on your flashers, drive the speed limit and call 911 from your cellphone. Tell the 911 dispatcher that you are concerned. "If you do not have a cellphone, drive to a well-lit, busy area, such as the parking lot of a busy store."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-07-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I'd thin that I go by the law in state and what it demands of one. I also think some will see this as excuse to try to use for evading. Like any defense its one to be determine by court when it conflicts with the written law.i imagine sourt would rule on case by case and what evidence shows.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,322 times
Whether this is "evading" will depend on the exact circumstances. Obviously the cop felt like this individual could have stopped much sooner. Common sense should prevail in these scenarios.

Did the driver acknowledge the police by turning on his hazard lights and dropping his speed? That I think will play a huge role in this. Like one other poster mentioned, I've gotten pulled over by the police where I had to drive a little ways to safely pull over but I dropped my speed and hit my hazards so that they knew what was going on.

Depending on the details, waiting to pull over for a mile and a half could be entirely appropriate or extremely excessive.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
As I posted, I have heard this advice many times - from all over the country for many years. I do not know if that was the case in this man's area, but since he did exactly what all these other PD's have advised, I would think he had heard it too.

The point is, if LE Departments are going to issue these warning and related suggestions - it is damn wrong of them to then charge people when they follow the suggestion. And if you are going to rely on these pronouncement by LE, you'd best be aware of the unintended consequences.
Please produce the warning in Saginaw, Michigan. This was a uniformed officer in an official police vehicle who used both his flashing lights and siren. All he was missing was a letter from the mayor certifying him as an officer of the law.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Depends on where you are, in the city yes I can. Out on a dark country road maybe not so much. Also one can tell if the car has flashing police lights on top of it and a police spot light does a good job lighting up their car as well as yours.

Real cops can't even tell if it's a fake cop until they pull over:

Police: Fake officer tries to stop a real one

Fake Cop Arrested For Pulling Over Real One

Fake cop pulls over real cop

Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Please produce the warning in Saginaw, Michigan. This was a uniformed officer in an official police vehicle who used both his flashing lights and siren. All he was missing was a letter from the mayor certifying him as an officer of the law.
Please read and try to follow the point of the post.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
I'm surprised you never heard PD's advising this -- I have many times. Here is a direct example.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2171710

An Indiana nurse says she's facing a felony charge and the potential loss of her job after she refused to immediately pull over for a patrolman because she didn't think it was a safe place to stop.
It's was the exact response Portage police previously advised drivers to do if questioning an officer's identity.
But when Porter County Patrolman William Marshall, whose district includes Portage, approached her parked vehicle around 11:20 p.m. that night she described him as absolutely livid.
Yeah, I have never heard this before, though not sure I would listen to it either when I am being pulled over. I would just go to the closest safe spot to pull over as soon as possible....granted it has been years since my last ticket, if not at least a decade ago.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,298 times
Quote:
I have never heard that advice before, though I couldn't tell you the last time I was pulled over.
The differences between Detroit and Portland, OR are IMMENSE. Detroit is a collapsing hell hole, Portland is arguably the cleanest, nicest major city in the US.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Please read and try to follow the point of the post.
Please use common sense. This was an official police vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies