Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
He is correct, here is just one of many that I've seen:

Police issue warning about possible fake cop

This was the only incident reported, said Sgt. Keith Hughes, and the woman used good judgment by not stopping for the man. Hughes said anyone believing they are being pulled over by a police impersonator should call 911 and let the police dispatcher make contact with the officer. If unable to contact 911, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concerns.

(It also appears the young man pulled over in this case followed the advice completely)
That article makes it sound like it is in regards to being pulled over by an unmarked car, that makes more sense. A marked police car with a uniformed officer should be more obvious to the driver to pull over at the first safe spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That article makes it sound like it is in regards to being pulled over by an unmarked car, that makes more sense. A marked police car with a uniformed officer should be more obvious to the driver to pull over at the first safe spot.
Not at night.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, it HAS been stated by media who say that the police suggest that you can drive to a well lit area to pull over. This usually follows a story about someone impersonating an officer, pulling someone over, and attacking the person.

Frankly, I would get on the phone with 911 right away were I that concerned, and ensure that it was indeed a cop following me. I haven't been pulled over in some time, so suddenly getting pulled over would be surprising.
You are correct, that advice has been given. Several years ago, I was pulled and slowed down to a slow speed and turned on my hazard lights to be clear I wasn't trying to run. When we reached a point that was okay, the officer signaled and I pulled over.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Not at night.
Not at night, what? I can still tell if it is a police car even at night.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:12 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Not at night, what? I can still tell if it is a police car even at night.
Can you? When they approach you from the rear and all you see are headlights and flashing lights???

Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Can you? When they approach you from the rear and all you see are headlights and flashing lights???
Depends on where you are, in the city yes I can. Out on a dark country road maybe not so much. Also one can tell if the car has flashing police lights on top of it and a police spot light does a good job lighting up their car as well as yours.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
When you see those flashing lights behind you, you're supposed to stop as soon as there is room to pull over, period.

The cops can provide plenty of light with the search lights attached to their cars and the flashlights that they carry.

Now that we're done with common sense, we can go back to emotionalism.
The point is that those are not always cops behind you. And if a PD goes on TV and recommends to the public that they should not stop UNTIL they reach a well lighted area - because they are aware of police impersonators robbing and beating citizens; and then that same department arrests you for evading, there is a serious problem.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The point is that those are not always cops behind you. And if a PD goes on TV and recommends to the public that they should not stop UNTIL they reach a well lighted area - because they are aware of police impersonators robbing and beating citizens; and then that same department arrests you for evading, there is a serious problem.
Did the police warn people about impersonators in this area that the man was pulled over in?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
When and what media has stated this? I have never heard of this before. Though it would be wise to follow the rules that come from the DMV over what a talking head in the media tells you.
I'm surprised you never heard PD's advising this -- I have many times. Here is a direct example.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2171710

An Indiana nurse says she's facing a felony charge and the potential loss of her job after she refused to immediately pull over for a patrolman because she didn't think it was a safe place to stop.
It's was the exact response Portage police previously advised drivers to do if questioning an officer's identity.
But when Porter County Patrolman William Marshall, whose district includes Portage, approached her parked vehicle around 11:20 p.m. that night she described him as absolutely livid.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
The 1.5 miles is going to be the tricky part for him here, especially since there are
many well lit locations around the Sam's Club and the university.
(You can tell from the video that he was driving down Highway 84, which means he passed a Famous Dave's, a bank, four strip malls, an office building complex , two auto dealerships, a church, a john deere dealer, and the ice arena, all with lighting.

Not to mention, that means the chase started less than a block from the university dorm parking lots which are covered with lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies