Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

I was working ever since I was 13 years old.
I look at my grand daughter now, and as much as I love adore her, I see a child, without care for responsibility and immaturity....
we were discussing this at a 4th of July Picnic I attended, and we remembered how much more mature we were as kids...
My grand-daughter is going to be 13 and she is so immature...if they ask her to do something, she goes into the room and gets side traced, her focus isn't there, b/c she doesn't have to.

We have pampered our kids beyond the norm.

My first job was of course part time, on the weekends, in a bakery. I cleaned the house, b/c my mother worked 3 jobs....to keep food on the table, I learned to cook, do the laundry and iron...at 13 years old.

At five years old, I walked to the park to a wading pool and at 8 years old I was on the swimming team doing backstroke and freestyle.

If I wanted to go to college I had to work and do it on my own...as many kids did back then.

today, parents coddle their kids, their kids are spoiled and have no chores to do or help with around the house.

Why? Why don't parents realize, that giving their kids everything will serve them badly. If kids had to work for what they wanted, they would appreciate it more, give them a sense of responsibility and create good hard working mature kids.

Everyone in our neighborhood worked, my brother had a paper route.

If parents made their kids get jobs in kitchens of restaurants, and other jobs as such, they'd be happy to go to college.

Kids today do not have a sense of responsibility....they are not mature....and have way to much time on their hands.

I'm sick to death of seeing kids and adults, with their noses in their cell phones? How can anyone be aware of what is going on around them?

This country is going to hell fast....we're in the fast lane of decline, due to a loss of moral standards, and a respect for the law....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Interesting OP that had almost nothing to do with the title. But saying 'illegals' is clickbait, so you had to try, right?

So I'll ask this: what loss of moral standards? This is something I hear a lot but usually isn't followed by any argument or substance. It's more 'they do things that I don't personally like' rather than an actual standard for morality. So what's the loss?

Also, disdain for the law is a bad thing? I believe in 1776, those people were called patriots. The times have changed indeed.

And yes, parents do pamper their kids, but I think you're exaggerating the effect that will have. From what I can tell, most young people just want to correct the sins of their parents, and they'll be tougher on their kids, which will probably lead to a different generation being softer and the cycle will continue. Just a guess though. Wait and see what happens. Maybe American society will collapse and the world will see just why it's a bad idea for one country to try and be the world's police.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Possibly the dumbest thread title ever. It should have been posted in the health forum and actually should have read "need help with this giant chip on my shoulder".

Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
When I was a kid, I got a lot of stuff and I worked bc I wanted extra cash (gas money, take care of my car, go out with friends), not bc my parents couldn't give me everything I needed. Plus, I enjoyed trading labor for cash from a very early age.

We were upper middle class, to be sure.

I had a lot of really, really rich friends...and I did notice many were annoyingly helpless. This is back in the 80s and 90s. If you don't have a incentive to learn to do something and you couple that with no interest (bc some people, such as myself had no reason but plenty of interest), you get a really annoying child that turns into an entitled, annoyingly helpless adult. I also had friends who had to go to work to help their family. I also had rich friends who worked their asses off in every endeavor. There are all kinds of people.

However, kids these days (I have noticed bc we have kids and lots of playdates, etc) of any socioeconomic group are treated like those rich kids back then. Very few kids have to work for anything anymore. Even the socioeconomically depressed kids I see on a daily basis can be seen with their snack foods and hand-held electronics, being coddled to pieces and not disciplined in public. It's a bit of a departure.

I agree with the poster who says there is likely a backlash coming.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
So you both advocate a return to old-fashioned, conservative parenting?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
TheDusty Interesting OP that had almost nothing to do with the title. But saying 'illegals' is clickbait, so you had to try, right?
WRONG....

Quote:
So I'll ask this: what loss of moral standards? This is something I hear a lot but usually isn't followed by any argument or substance. It's more 'they do things that I don't personally like' rather than an actual standard for morality. So what's the loss?
Moral standards are people who also obey the laws....they've got morals! In its descriptive sense, "morality" refers to personal or cultural values, codes of conduct or social mores. It does not connote objective claims of right or wrong, but only refers to that which is considered right or wrong. Descriptive ethics is the branch of philosophy which studies morality in this sense. Illegals, would counter that, to a philosophy that believes its all right to disobey laws.

Quote:
Also, disdain for the law is a bad thing? I believe in 1776, those people were called patriots. The times have changed indeed.
If illegals had morals and a strong humble desire to do what is right, they would not be here illegally.

Quote:
And yes, parents do pamper their kids, but I think you're exaggerating the effect that will have. From what I can tell, most young people just want to correct the sins of their parents, and they'll be tougher on their kids, which will probably lead to a different generation being softer and the cycle will continue. Just a guess though. Wait and see what happens. Maybe American society will collapse and the world will see just why it's a bad idea for one country to try and be the world's police.
Correct the sins of their parents? hey, parents during my childhood, including my foster parents, believed in strict discipline. And I'm proud of them and thankful for them.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
What does hiring 14-year-olds have to do with illegals? The illegals I see are doing heavy labor.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So you both advocate a return to old-fashioned, conservative parenting?
absolutely.....
I was talking to a woman yesterday....I told her my son, got up from the table, rinsed off his dishes, and placed them in the dishwasher after he asked to be excused. She said, my sink if full of dishes waiting for me when I get home...I'm going to have to try that, b/c I work full time and there is no excuse for that.

I replied..."no there isn't." "your kids are old enough for chores, like making their beds before they come down for breakfast, cleaning their rooms, doing dishes, etc". How in the world will kids learn to be mature, responsible and be able to do these things to help if someone gets sick? Or when they are married.

Kids need to feel useful, and to give them everything they want without working for it, doesn't earn them respect for any material thing.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What does hiring 14-year-olds have to do with illegals? The illegals I see are doing heavy labor.
people are complaining, that illegals are working in all our restaurants...and asking, "who is going to do that work?". Why not hire 16 year old kids.

My brother had a paper route, I worked in a bakery, whats wrong with that? We earned $.50 cents an hour...with which we could save...later when I was 16 I got a job in a diner, as a waitress, and our bus boys were neighborhood kids...there is a whole lot of work out there, for kids....they could help by working and putting money away for college which would take some of those jobs away from illegals....

Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
First of all, in most states the absolute minimum age of employment is 14 ... and that's for delivering the newspaper, babysitting, etc. In virtually every state the age of employment for a *real* job is 16.

Seriously, times change ... it's time to adapt. Change is a constant factor in our lives. The world has changed considerably - politically, socially, and culturally - since in the 1960s or whenever you were 13. Every time I come on this forum I get more and more aggravated with old people who demand that everything be the same as it was when they were x age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies