Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:00 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
As an aside I wish that New Hampshire would live up to it's motto.
Well, according to this map, New Hampshire ranks #9 in the nation as far as the freedom index. In short, New Hampshire is freer than the majority of the USA.

What States are the Freest? This Map Shows Americans Where to Go If They Crave Liberty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Because of folks stating these are driven by the right, here is a city council and news outlet that are more left slanting that decided to take in this effort for their constituents.

Memphis' Confederate Parks Renamed: City Drops 3 Names That Honor Racist Past
Excellent. Mr Root, by his heinous act, has started this country on a more enlightened road, ridding itself of all remnants and symbols of the shameful Confederate culture.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:06 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Excellent. Mr Root, by his heinous act, has started this country on a more enlightened road, ridding itself of all remnants and symbols of the shameful Confederate culture.
Roof wanted a race war. What he got instead were people going against the Confederate flag.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Nothing but a bunch of politically correct idealists who think changing the name of something will also magically change what happened in the past.

Just because you pretty it up does not mean anything about it has changed. Accept the past, Deal with whatever issue you have about the past, Adapt to the future as it is ever changing as well and quit being so stinking politically correct. Your credibility generally goes right down the sewer along with all the other crap flowing.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

Really? Standing up and fighting for what one believes is shameful? Using that logic then the other side is just as shameful and anyone involved in any sort of war is just as shameful.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Harris, 34, who along with his wife, Alena Allen, teaches at the University of Memphis School of Law, said every day he has had to pass Confederate Park, which is right next to the building where they work.

A native Memphian, he said he did not think much about the issue of parks honoring the Confederacy when he was a kid. But now he worries about his own children.

"My son comes to my office all the time. At some time, he'll come to realize there was a War Between the States and one side was the Confederacy and it didn't like a lot of things about him," said Harris."

Didn't bother him but subsequent generations will be affected?

Oh yeah, time always opens wounds, never heals.

Let's rename things and wipe the history books clean from last week going back.

Healing will be instant with memories and history erased.

It is people's hearts and minds that will do that , nothing else.
When I was in middle school and younger, we were never taught that the war was about slavery or anything like that, it was always the war of northern aggression.

Read this. My books were similar.

This 1970s high school history book taught the most insane things about slavery | Fusion

so I dont blink when Southern black people say they didnt think much of the names when they were kids, but as a young adult(high school and up), I cringed every time our football or basketball team played a school named Jefferson Davis or Robert E Lee.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:15 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Well, let's get on with it.
Quote:
The List of places named after Robert Byrd lists all places named in honor of United States Senator Robert C. Byrd (November 20, 1917 – June 28, 2010), who represented the U.S. state of West Virginia as a Democrat in the United States Senate, and was a recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan.
Take the name of the late Sen Byrd off of every building, highway, bridge, place. I understand the list is extensive. http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wi...er_Robert_Byrd

While we are at it I suggest every monument, named place etc's namesake since the country's founding be thoroughly investigated. Purging of names to follow should any nefarious activity or association be discovered; of the namesake or preceding half dozen or so generations of namesake.

That ought to keep everyone focused and blissfully ignorant of and unaware of our growing and unsustainable national debt. Everyone will wind up with respect, understanding, and finally the healing of wounds. Without a pot to **** in.

Just ask the Greeks, or the Italians where youth unemployment is 41.5%. Bet they are not to concerned with transgressions of Vittorio Emanuele I.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:25 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Memphis is a largely black city so no surprise other than why it took this long....with a murder rate 4 times the national average, it won't be long till it's become another Detroit.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Good, no park should be named after losers from the enemy.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Since you are genuinely interested in this , I'm sure you noticed that this took place more than 2 years ago.

The PC crowd is hilariously disingenous. More than 60% of the Memphis population is black. Does political correctness permit one to ask why the majority of blacks choose to live in southern states? It is their contention that blacks are too stupid to leave racist states and require white lib patriarchy to lift them up out of the darkness --- to spread the utopian bright light that blacks in northern states are so fortunate to experience...oh wait. That is what it looks like to me from the PC crowd. Why blacks collectively tolerate today's white progressive liberal patriarchy is a question for the ages.
OTOH, the fact that this happened two years ago blows a hole in your conservative meme that "nobody cared about all this until the shooting."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies