Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I think this is a shame... One of the things that got lost in the whole marriage debate is that there is a place for civil unions (for both gay and straight couples.) France has the PACS (Civil Solidarity Pact) and 94% of couples with PACS are straight. It would be nice if couples in the US could have something similar.
I'm sure that's the reason companies and cities are dropping this coverage. If they continued it, they would have to offer it to both same sex and heterosexual couples. Now that we all have the option to legally marry, they can't offer partner benefits to one group and not the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just read an article in my local paper that the City council will vote to end the extension of benefits to same sex unmarried couples. Same sex couples wanting to cover a partner will have to marry in order to do so. The city says since they don't offer benefits to unmarried heterosexual couples, it would be inequitable to continue to offer this benefit to same sex couples. I think we'll see more and more municipalities and companies making this change now that same sex marriage is legal in the entire country.
Hasn't the US military been doing the same thing? I read news articles a couple years ago that said the military was going to extend some benefits to same-sex partners who were not married. If so, when will that go away too?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that's the reason companies and cities are dropping this coverage. If they continued it, they would have to offer it to both same sex and heterosexual couples. Now that we all have the option to legally marry, they can't offer partner benefits to one group and not the other.
The thing is, they were not offering these benefits to the couples of men and women back then, so it was wrong then, just as much as it's wrong today.

So what's next, offering the same benefits to plural couples, because we are not enlightened enough as a society to legalize plural marriages?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 AM

1,204 posts, read 873,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Since same sex couples can now get married, it's only fair that we all play by the same rules.

Absolutely

Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Seems odd that your city offered such benefits to unmarried couples in the first place. They really offered 'benefits' to unmarried gay couples, but not unmarried heterosexual couples?
Several states and hundreds of municipalities, counties, private companies, organizations, colleges, and universities offer domestic partnership benefits. Most do not distinguish the sexual orientation of the partners.

61% of Fortune 500 companies offer partner benefits, including Walmart.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Just read an article in my local paper that the City council will vote to end the extension of benefits to same sex unmarried couples. Same sex couples wanting to cover a partner will have to marry in order to do so. The city says since they don't offer benefits to unmarried heterosexual couples, it would be inequitable to continue to offer this benefit to same sex couples. I think we'll see more and more municipalities and companies making this change now that same sex marriage is legal in the entire country.
Obviously this is where the Tylenol Homo Couple focused commercial comes into play.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Hasn't the US military been doing the same thing? I read news articles a couple years ago that said the military was going to extend some benefits to same-sex partners who were not married. If so, when will that go away too?
Effective 10/2013

Military extends some benefits to same-sex partners - CNN.com

Old 07-23-2015, 08:28 AM

27,158 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:

Soundd like it was inequitable to begin with inequitable to begin with.

Why would unmarried homo sexual partners that are not married be getting benefits well heterosexual couples we're not?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
But if a male soldier had a girl he is going steady with, no benefits for them.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:35 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,681 times
Totally agree with this decision. And gays thought it was fair to exclude heterosexual unmarried partners. Hows it feel to be found equal now. Your hardly being discriminated against and dont have a leg to stand on. Just get married!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies