Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:28 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is this really a case of anything but two wrongs allegedly making a right? I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why I've never heard of law suits by hetero couples challenging their right to the same benefits as other unmarried couples received.
Because heterosexual couples exercised their long held right to legally marry and received benefits based on it. Most people understand where the inequality lay and it wasn't about heterosexual couples feeling "forced" to marry. Now that all couples have this right, there's no need for unmarried partner benefits unless a city or company wishes to provide them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 03:59 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,747 times
Quote:
Is this really a case of anything but two wrongs allegedly making a right? I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why I've never heard of law suits by hetero couples challenging their right to the same benefits as other unmarried couples received.
Everybody understands this but you buddy, save your drama for the Jerry Springer show.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
I was hoping it would go the other way. I'm dating a GF with great Insurance and was hoping to get some on the cheap without getting married.

I wanted to be her Domestic partner. That's all gone now.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:09 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,932 times
Quote:
I've never heard of this, probably because it never affected me. Still seems to me like something that would've been frequently challenged by hetero couples who didn't feel the need to ask either the state or a religion to bless their relationship.
Until recently, homosexual couples couldn't have the state bless their relationship. Heterosexual couples could. The law was meant to remedy the fact homosexual couples couldn't get benefits legally. Heterosexual couples COULD get benefits legally through marriage. Now, it is a non-issue as it should have always been.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
Good

Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
Until recently, homosexual couples couldn't have the state bless their relationship. Heterosexual couples could. The law was meant to remedy the fact homosexual couples couldn't get benefits legally. Heterosexual couples COULD get benefits legally through marriage. Now, it is a non-issue as it should have always been.

There was legal reason for that.
Benefits were unwarranted, a run around if you will.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'm sure they like it just fine. Equality is a good thing.
Indeed it is ... though I always kind of figured is was more about the money ...

Now lets see these guys finally put the money where their mouth is and get married like the rest of us ...

Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Since same sex couples can now get married, it's only fair that we all play by the same rules.
What would have been fair was to offer that same benefit to unmarried heterosexual couples. If you all want to preach equality and fairness, then it has to be across the board, not just when it benefits your pet causes. Liberal hypocrisy AGAIN.

Did you note, however, that these unmarried heterosexuals did not have parades, did not make a huge scene, did not carry on and on and make demands when they weren't being treated equally?

You can sit there and use the excuse that, "they didn't have the right to marry", which, they did have the right to marry, but the fact is, unmarried anyone doesn't mean THAT is who they would have married. In fact, I'll bet that benefit was abused. You just pretend you're in a serious relationship with someone to get the benefits. Could have been a roommate, but we'll say we are in a "serious, committed relationship" to get the benefits. Don't even act like that didn't happen...you would be either extremely naive and gullible, or you would be ridiculously dishonest.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:53 PM

103 posts, read 97,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just read an article in my local paper that the City council will vote to end the extension of benefits to same sex unmarried couples. Same sex couples wanting to cover a partner will have to marry in order to do so. The city says since they don't offer benefits to unmarried heterosexual couples, it would be inequitable to continue to offer this benefit to same sex couples. I think we'll see more and more municipalities and companies making this change now that same sex marriage is legal in the entire country.
It seems logical to me. The ONLY argument that I could propose would be that it may not be SAFE to marry in some cities and let it be known in the workplace. Especially true if the city does not have an anti-discrimination law in place to prevent firing based on sexual orientation. I'm just giving a Devils advocate situation.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What would have been fair was to offer that same benefit to unmarried heterosexual couples. If you all want to preach equality and fairness, then it has to be across the board, not just when it benefits your pet causes. Liberal hypocrisy AGAIN.

Did you note, however, that these unmarried heterosexuals did not have parades, did not make a huge scene, did not carry on and on and make demands when they weren't being treated equally?

You can sit there and use the excuse that, "they didn't have the right to marry", which, they did have the right to marry, but the fact is, unmarried anyone doesn't mean THAT is who they would have married. In fact, I'll bet that benefit was abused. You just pretend you're in a serious relationship with someone to get the benefits. Could have been a roommate, but we'll say we are in a "serious, committed relationship" to get the benefits. Don't even act like that didn't happen...you would be either extremely naive and gullible, or you would be ridiculously dishonest.
Unmarried heterosexuals had the option of getting married, unmarried homosexuals didn't. Now that either can get married the rules were changed to make everyone who wants those benefits get married.

As for the benefit being abused, probably. Marriage benefits are abused every day too, even before same sex couples could get married. Marriages for green cards, marriages to get insurance, marriage for military benefits, marriage for money, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies