Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So what? Plural couples should get benefits because there are no laws allowing plural marriages?
Do you know the definition of couple? There is no such thing as "plural couples".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd like to know WHY same sex couples had benefits extended to them that weren't extended to hetero couples and how the city justified that?
Because same sex couples were not allowed to get married while hetero couples were allowed to get married.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You apparently can't figure out what I asked.

The OP states the city extended benefits to unmarried same sex couples that weren't extended to unmarried hetero couples. My question was how they got away with that sort of discrimination?
Heterosexual couples could get those same benefits if they were married. same sex couples were not allowed to get married.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because same sex couples were not allowed to get married while hetero couples were allowed to get married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Heterosexual couples could get those same benefits if they were married. same sex couples were not allowed to get married.
Is this really a case of anything but two wrongs allegedly making a right? I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why I've never heard of law suits by hetero couples challenging their right to the same benefits as other unmarried couples received.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just read an article in my local paper that the City council will vote to end the extension of benefits to same sex unmarried couples. Same sex couples wanting to cover a partner will have to marry in order to do so. The city says since they don't offer benefits to unmarried heterosexual couples, it would be inequitable to continue to offer this benefit to same sex couples. I think we'll see more and more municipalities and companies making this change now that same sex marriage is legal in the entire country.
I support gay marriage, and this makes sense to me. Now that gays can get married, why have a special class of benefits just for them? Made sense when they couldn't marry....makes no sense now.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_2 View Post
I'm sure those losing their benefits disagree with you.
Then they werent really in the relationship they were claiming, but those people are few and far between.

The real problem here is that you are mad that you didnt get the response you were hoping for.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
When I use the term 'they' I am referring to the GBLT group collectively.

They are working towards being in their own protected 'CLASS' so as to make their lifestyle more accepted.... as well as giving them rights that others not in that group do not currently have.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Is this really a case of anything but two wrongs allegedly making a right? I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why I've never heard of law suits by hetero couples challenging their right to the same benefits as other unmarried couples received.
Heteros had the same rights. You did not have to be gay to have a same sex domestic partner.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
But the OP claims those very same benefits weren't extended to hetero couples. How'd they make that fly? Something just doesn't sound right here.
Benefits for gay 'domestic partners' wasn't at all unusual. Before ssm became legal in CT., gay state employees who met certain criteria received benefits as though they were married. Similar laws existed in plenty of cities and among many large private employers.

The theory was that a hetero person could marry virtually any opposite sex person of their choice , but gays could not marry any same sex person. I don't recall the specific standards for a same sex couple to qualify, but it as simple as merely declaring 'we're partners.'

Old 07-23-2015, 12:28 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Benefits for gay 'domestic partners' wasn't at all unusual. Before ssm became legal in CT., gay state employees who met certain criteria received benefits as though they were married. Similar laws existed in plenty of cities and among many large private employers.

The theory was that a hetero person could marry virtually any opposite sex person of their choice , but gays could not marry any same sex person. I don't recall the specific standards for a same sex couple to qualify, but it as simple as merely declaring 'we're partners.'
I've never heard of this, probably because it never affected me. Still seems to me like something that would've been frequently challenged by hetero couples who didn't feel the need to ask either the state or a religion to bless their relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies