Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 PM

884 posts, read 716,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
To get all Racist people here and trick them into being disappointed that the statistics doesn't back their bias.
Rather than your objective being met, it has discredited as far as I am concerned anything you post. Your complete twisting of information to try and trick people with blatant lies has me questioning your spot on the food chain. If what you were wanting the reader to believe were true then the facts would have supported it. But I digress, I now consider you a trickster and deceiver.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
All of the young black males are being killed by whitey? That is not what the FBI statistics show. The statistics are well explained by Thomas Sowell in his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".

Shhh, libs think we are dumb rednecks and can be fooled easily. OP, time is up, America now sees what liberalism will get them. Have a look at the last elections if ya don't believe me.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If you want to see the correlation compare crime rate by county, then compare the counties to who voted for Obama and who voted for Romney in 2012.

For more information break down crime stats by race and age. Thankfully the FBI does that for us already.

If you actually wanted the truth, it is easy to find, instead we get silly nonsense.
The truth? You have got to be kidding. Who the hell does that anymore? You are so nostalgic....

Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
How is that a victory for you? We know from research that people are more likely to kill themselves when there is easy access to a gun. I'm not sure I'd be bragging about that as a feature of gun ownership.
Bluefly, I cant speak for sunspirit but I didn't see his post as a victory for anything. Just the truth.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Bluefly, I cant speak for sunspirit but I didn't see his post as a victory for anything. Just the truth.
Why is a person killed by suicide a better stat than a person killed by street violence? I guess that's where I'm getting confused. If a gun was a driving factor in there being a violent, senseless death, regardless of how it happened, a gun was a driving factor for a violent, senseless death. The loved ones left behind are just as traumatized.

Obviously, when poverty is concentrated in an urban area it's incomparable to Montana or Alaska, where poverty is dispersed. Concentrating poverty in a small area is not a good policy; many cities are tearing down "projects" and integrating public housing into market-rate housing. Not without its issues, but it's much improved.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Why is a person killed by suicide a better stat than a person killed by street violence? I guess that's where I'm getting confused. If a gun was a driving factor in there being a violent, senseless death, regardless of how it happened, a gun was a driving factor for a violent, senseless death. The loved ones left behind are just as traumatized.

Obviously, when poverty is concentrated in an urban area it's incomparable to Montana or Alaska, where poverty is dispersed. Concentrating poverty in a small area is not a good policy; many cities are tearing down "projects" and integrating public housing into market-rate housing. Not without its issues, but it's much improved.
If a person really wants to commit suicide, they don't need a gun to do it. If they didn't have access to a gun, most likely they do it some other way.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
If a person really wants to commit suicide, they don't need a gun to do it. If they didn't have access to a gun, most likely they do it some other way.
Right, and if someone want to end their own life then more power to them.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Quote:
How is that a victory for you? We know from research that people are more likely to kill themselves when there is easy access to a gun. I'm not sure I'd be bragging about that as a feature of gun ownership.
No victory claimed nor desired. Just pointing out the fallacies that you've presented here as fact. This was your "gimmick" thread to try to "trap" folk and you've totally failed to do so. The study doesn't support your conclusions.

You simply cannot draw a conclusion from the article that gun violence is the result of aggressor/victim by race, which is what you crow is the fallacy of "red state" vs "blue state" racial demographics where red states aren't as peaceful as blue states. Pure BS on your part.

Fact is, I've had to deal with knowing a number of suicides in my immediate circle of friends, acquaintances, and friends of friends over the years. Whatever their reasons, they set out to do themselves in and succeeded, and it never was based in racial problems.

All but one found other ways than a firearm to accomplish their intentional demise ...

several by overdoses of drugs (prescription drugs, heroin overdose, LSD overdose, and other illicit drug intentional overdose)

several by abusing alcohol to excess; they knew they were destroying their bodily functions (cirrhosis of the liver and other problems, but persisted in drinking themselves to death. Could have quit drinking and likely survived for many more years even with the impaired functions.

one by drinking almost 1/2 gallon of automotive anti-freeze, which put her into an irreversible coma and onto life support as a vegetable. the family had to make the decision to remove the life systems. A particularly painful decision as this was their daughter's third attempt on her life in five years and they'd pulled her through all the other ones (slit wrists, drug overdoses) and had her in a psychiatric hospital for a couple of years.

one by hanging; strung himself up in his airplane hangar and jumped off a chair he was standing on.

one by deliberately crashing his airplane into a field, died in the resulting fire. another crashed his airplane into a narrow canyon wall, an impossible situation to escape from. Both pilots knew what they were doing, they were very experienced instructors who chose to make these "mistakes".

another simply sailed his 38' sailboat 8 mles offshore from CA and jumped into the ocean. The rescue folk found his intact boat, sails neatly furled, and a suicide note in the cabin.

one recently took an OD of a substance after calling in his sons to say goodbye to them a final time. The boys didn't know that was their Dad's plan.

Most of these folk had access to firearms that would have been an easy way out. But they found other ways to make their statement. All of them were tragedies and adversely affected those around them and their families.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No victory claimed nor desired. Just pointing out the fallacies that you've presented here as fact.

You simply cannot draw a conclusion from the article that gun violence is the result of aggressor/victim by race, nor that you crow is the fallacy of "red state" vs "blue state" racial demographics.

Fact is, I've had to deal with knowing a number of suicides in my immediate circle of friends, acquaintances, and friends of friends over the years. Whatever their reasons, they set out to do themselves in and succeeded, and it never was based in racial problems.

All but one found other ways than a firearm to accomplish their intentional demise ...

several by overdoses of drugs (prescription drugs, heroin overdose, LSD overdose, and other illicit drug intentional overdose)

several by abusing alcohol to excess; they knew they were destroying their bodily functions (cirrhosis of the liver and other problems, but persisted in drinking themselves to death. Could have quit drinking and likely survived for many more years even with the impaired functions.

one by drinking almost 1/2 gallon of automotive anti-freeze, which put her into an irreversible coma and onto life support as a vegetable. the family had to make the decision to remove the life systems. A particularly painful decision as this was their daughter's third attempt on her life in five years and they'd pulled her through all the other ones (slit wrists, drug overdoses) and had her in a psychiatric hospital for a couple of years.

one by hanging; strung himself up in his airplane hangar and jumped off a chair he was standing on.

one by deliberately crashing his airplane into a field, died in the resulting fire. another crashed his airplane into a narrow canyon wall, an impossible situation to escape from. Both pilots knew what they were doing, they were very experienced instructors who chose to make these "mistakes".

another simply sailed his 38' sailboat 8 mles offshore from CA and jumped into the ocean. The rescue folk found his intact boat, sails neatly furled, and a suicide note in the cabin.

Most of these folk had access to firearms that would have been an easy way out. But they found other ways to make their statement.
I didn't present any fallacies as fact. I didn't present anything. That was another poster.

Nevertheless, the plural of anecdote isn't data. Gun ownership directly increases suicide rates 3 times over:

Gun ownership tied to three-fold increase in suicide risk | Fox News

Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'll post the same to you because your assumption is incorrect. The presence of a gun in the home leads to three times as many suicides as if there were not a gun in the home:

Gun ownership tied to three-fold increase in suicide risk | Fox News

You're operating on the false assumption that humans are rational rather than opportunistic.

It's similar to how empirical evidence shows that children (and anyone) living in a home with guns have a higher risk of being injured or killed through homicide, suicide, or accident.

I'm all for fun rights but people who own them are taking on higher risk in doing so, which is their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies